jeme

jeme

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
To the OP (Jeme), the regen is not bad. The only issue I have with it is that the only way to tell you have gone into a regen cycle is mileage drops. If you interrupt the cycle by turning off the engine, the cycle does not restart when you start the engine again. GDE, tuner, is working on a tune, probably out after the first of the year. It will have a message indicating where you are in the regen cycle, at least their Gen II engine had the. FCA should have really included that with this Gen III diesel.

Regarding the Rubi debate... I purchased the Rubi for creature comforts. I have already ordered new axles and suspension. The Hydro assist will have to wait until PSC finishes developing it, also should be after the first of the year.

Since you already have the Rubi, I agree with others that you hold onto it and see how you like it. The thing about the Jeep that most owners do, is to modify it. There is no vehicle in the word that has the aftermarket options that the Jeep does. So figure out you plan and enjoy it.

Best of luck!
Thank you Don - I appreciate your input. The more I think about it the more I am leaning in that direction.
Sponsored

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
I do not even know how to start this thread.

So I recently purchased a 2020 Rubicon Recon. I think I needed a mall crawler! Based on my job, family life etc I doubt I will get off road much if at all.

So the recon is fully loaded, but I think it is too much Jeep. I think what I really want is a Diesel Sahara.

I know I will take a huge hit on the Rubicon if I trade it in.

What I want to do with the Sahara is to put on Rubicon take off wheels and a Rubicon hood, not lift just a different look. I will do a lot of over road and have had many diesels vehicles in the past.

So two questions

1 - How hard is it to do those modifications on a Sahara - Front and Rear steel bumpers (will parking sensors still work) and Rubicon hood? Are those mods possible
2 - Am I crazy to want to change Jeeps? I just think the Rubicon it too much and I will never use all of the features etc.

Thoughts?

How would I approach building a Sahara like that? Thanks in advance for the comments/help.
It is better to have a vehicle that has the capability and not use it than vice versa. The Recon looks awesome - I don't mind paying more just for those looks. With 4.10 gearing ratio, it also performs much better even for mall crawling than Sahara's taller gear ratios.
I do the same thing - I do change my Jeeps often too. I have a good relationship with one of the dealers and I don't lose much at all on trade ins - Wranglers truly hold their value.

AdamNash

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLUS
Wish I could like every response here, amazing how relatable this post is to so many. I bought a 2018 Sahara and found myself chasing Rubicon takeoffs. It was exhausting. Traded it and got a rubicon, regret nothing and love it every day.

Should also say that I love the look and individuality of Jeeps and that if the rubicon factory stuff isn’t your jam then by all means love what you drive and make it yours. IF you’re going to chase the Rubicon look specifically I think it makes sense to go that route from the start. At least for me it did. The thing could struggle on ant hills and I’d still love it.

OP
OP
jeme

jeme

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Wish I could like every response here, amazing how relatable this post is to so many. I bought a 2018 Sahara and found myself chasing Rubicon takeoffs. It was exhausting. Traded it and got a rubicon, regret nothing and love it every day.

Should also say that I love the look and individuality of Jeeps and that if the rubicon factory stuff isn’t your jam then by all means love what you drive and make it yours. IF you’re going to chase the Rubicon look specifically I think it makes sense to go that route from the start. At least for me it did. The thing could struggle on ant hills and I’d still love it.
Well on a good note - I do have a beautiful Rubicon Recon so that is a start. Thanks!

I tend to agree with you regarding getting a Saraha to a certain point. is alot of chasing around. I did start today by purchasing some Rubi take off rims, might get a hood next. LOL

Sponsored

joemanly

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon 4dr
I've got a 2018 Rubi and was thinking we bought too much Jeep, but I knew the day would come when I could get the wife to do some trailing and get her into it, so I wanted a capable Jeep without pissing her off on money in upgrades for a while. Enjoy it. The first 2 yrs all we did was cruise it with the top and doors off and got compliments on such a good looking Jeep literally everywhere we went.

3 wks ago we finally hit the trails and the dunes as well in the same weekend. I can honestly say I do not regret it one bit. We are now buying a proper Warn winch setup as our first "mod". No regrets - only smiles.:like:

dkwinger

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU 2.0
I made the decision you did BEFORE I bought the Wrangler. :)
I went with the Sahara just for the reasons you state. I've made a few mods and will do a few more (do my own wrenching) but I'm happy I went the way I did. THAT SAID... if I had bought the Rub there is no way I'd trade back after the fact. Keep the Rub.

sixspeed

First Name
Gregory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport S JL

So I recently purchased a 2020 Rubicon Recon. I think I needed a mall crawler! Based on my job, family life etc I doubt I will get off road much if at all.

So the recon is fully loaded, but I think it is too much Jeep. I think what I really want is a Diesel Sahara.

What I want to do with the Sahara is to put on Rubicon take off wheels and a Rubicon hood, not lift just a different look. I will do a lot of over road and have had many diesels vehicles in the past.

So two questions

1 - How hard is it to do those modifications on a Sahara - Front and Rear steel bumpers (will parking sensors still work) and Rubicon hood? Are those mods possible
2 - Am I crazy to want to change Jeeps? I just think the Rubicon it too much and I will never use all of the features etc.

Thoughts?

How would I approach building a Sahara like that? Thanks in advance for the comments/help.
I didn’t read all 14 pages of the thread so maybe this was answered. The back up sensors won’t work with the rear steel bumper. Also, there is a Rubicon hood—look at the Quadratec website. It even has a Rubicon decal if you want to fool people (who don’t see the Sahara decal).

I think the Recon Is a great car and a bargain on the options. I would have gotten it except for the ugly decals. And how do you know you may never use everything? I’m 64 and the more off road I have done, the more and harder I want to do. You can’t do that in a Sahara without the hard core stuff underneath.

sixspeed

First Name
Gregory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport S JL
I didn’t read all 14 pages of the thread so maybe this was answered. The back up sensors won’t work with the rear steel bumper. Also, there is a Rubicon hood—look at the Quadratec website. It even has a Rubicon decal if you want to fool people (who don’t see the Sahara decal).

I think the Recon Is a great car and a bargain on the options. I would have gotten it except for the ugly decals. And how do you know you may never use everything? I’m 64 and the more off road I have done, the more and harder I want to do. You can’t do that in a Sahara without the hard core stuff underneath.
Also, sorry. I didn’t like the Recon decals. You and many others may love them.

Sponsored

FrederickIsavian

First Name
frederick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Range Rover

So two questions

Thoughts?

Johnnypbravo

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler
I too was looking for a Rubicon when looking for a new JL, however I began thinking I would never use its capabilities so went with the Sahara. I did have the dealer install their Mopar 2” Lift and bigger tires. I have no regrets. I do agree with most on this post to keep the Rubi and enjoy it!
Jeep Wrangler JL I think I purchased too much Jeep? 6DB79D35-B06A-44C9-928C-90640C7E324D

OP
OP
jeme

jeme

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I too was looking for a Rubicon when looking for a new JL, however I began thinking I would never use its capabilities so went with the Sahara. I did have the dealer install their Mopar 2” Lift and bigger tires. I have no regrets. I do agree with most on this post to keep the Rubi and enjoy it!
Jeep Wrangler JL I think I purchased too much Jeep? 6DB79D35-B06A-44C9-928C-90640C7E324D
Your Jeep looks really nice! Well done. I love it.

aeonixx1001

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL
Keep the Rubicon as is. Sell it out right and you will get most your money back. If you have very low miles and no dings or dents, there is a market. I wouldn't modify the Rubicon at all... No one wants a Rubicon they have to rebuild, Value would drop like a rock.. Maybe I am missing the point...
Sponsored