Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2018 JL Sahara,Dodge Journey 2012, Toyota Camry 2015
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
Cheapskate!

I'll go $200 cash, plus a $50 Applebees gift card.

In all seriousness, OP, keep whatcha got. Instead of letting time spent with the family to get in the way off exploring the off road, turn off road adventures into a family activity.
I’ll raise you $300 and Target gift card........
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Typical Sahara owner response to mask the remorse of not owning a real Jeep.
I have owned both Rubicons and Saharas. The attitude is part of the turn off.

Punjabi New Yorker

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mahindra Thar (in India) - 2.5L Diesel, 4x4, 5 spd Manual ; 2020 JLU Rubicon (in USA) - 3.6 Gas with 8 Speed Automatic
Occupation
Family business in India and USA (dual citizen of both)
Typical attitude from a Rubicon owner.
Dunno what he means by that. My significant other drives my Rubi also and she loves it. She is the reason why I got my JLUR in an Automatic or it would have been a 6 Speed.

So I was confused by that comment. guess I wasn’t the only one lol.

Sponsored

Punjabi New Yorker

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mahindra Thar (in India) - 2.5L Diesel, 4x4, 5 spd Manual ; 2020 JLU Rubicon (in USA) - 3.6 Gas with 8 Speed Automatic
Occupation
Family business in India and USA (dual citizen of both)
The argument is cute and all, but we all know the only real Jeep is the sport. Not the sport S, the manual window, manual lock, open differential sport. Real Jeeps don’t need modern accoutrements.
I have a fully loaded 4 door Rubicon. I will be looking for my second Jeep once this pandemic settles. This time I want me the Basic 2 door Sport package with only a Hardtop, an A/C and the 8 speed automatic for family reasons. Nothing else. I am just confused between whether to get the Turbo 4 without eTorque or the Pentastar with eTorque. I am leaning towards the Turbo 4 as I already have a Pentatar but without eTorque in my 2020 JLUR. However my concern is the A/C in that 2 litre motor without eTorque? Will be as good as the 3.6? If it isn't I will be hearing a lot of complaining in my house. Usually the A/Cs in a motor that small tend to shut down when standing at a red light and then restart once you start moving. Wonder is that maybe the case with the Turbo 4's without etorque also. Talk about first world problems....

I also kind of think the Base Sport is a real Jeep.

Last edited:

BlackGenesis

First Name
Andrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara unlimited
I bought 2 Sahara's, my wife loves the look of the Rubi, but the ride not so much... So, we are replacing the wheels/tires on her Sahara with Rubi wheels/tires plus a spacer to give it a better stance. I've already replaced my wheels/tires and the front bumper, etc. Love the look of my jeep and get a ton of compliments at stop lights, grocery stores, etc.

My Jeep.jpeg
Always thought that ride quality between Sahara and Rubicon was in the tires.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I do not even know how to start this thread.

So I recently purchased a 2020 Rubicon Recon. I think I needed a mall crawler! Based on my job, family life etc I doubt I will get off road much if at all.

So the recon is fully loaded, but I think it is too much Jeep. I think what I really want is a Diesel Sahara.

I know I will take a huge hit on the Rubicon if I trade it in.

What I want to do with the Sahara is to put on Rubicon take off wheels and a Rubicon hood, not lift just a different look. I will do a lot of over road and have had many diesels vehicles in the past.

So two questions

1 - How hard is it to do those modifications on a Sahara - Front and Rear steel bumpers (will parking sensors still work) and Rubicon hood? Are those mods possible
2 - Am I crazy to want to change Jeeps? I just think the Rubicon it too much and I will never use all of the features etc.

Thoughts?

How would I approach building a Sahara like that? Thanks in advance for the comments/help.
The depreciation hit you're going to take is nothing compared to how much more the EcoDiesel is going to cost you to live with as years go by. So, if $$ is no object anyhow then go for it.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
The argument is cute and all, but we all know the only real Jeep is the sport. Not the sport S, the manual window, manual lock, open differential sport. Real Jeeps don’t need modern accoutrements.
No, it's the CJ, and not the CJ7, the CJ5s and earlier :)

imjester77

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Eco Diesel; 2014 JKU Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
My $.02 for what it is worth. If you have regrets and a knot in your gut thinking you should have done it different, YOU SHOULD HAVE. I Understand those who say keep the Recon because lets face it, I have a conceal carry in hopes to never need it, but will be glad for that 1 time in my life I have it!

But, The Sahara is no slouch either. The EcoDiesel will net you some really nice power, pretty good fuel economy, But so will the turbo 4cyl., and be just as comfy for you and the family. You will not get lockers, but a LSD rear, (No select Track for Diesel, sorry), and 3.78 Gears along with an inch taller ride height over a base Sahara (Due to the Diesel suspension). That along with all the Bells and whistles the Sahara offers will not save you any money on the cost side of things, but for the looks and what you want it for, you will be ok.

Its a hard choice no doubt, I love my JLUR/D and would not get rid of it for anything. But I Have Big plans for my Rig, and purchased it accordingly.

Sponsored

nostatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JL Sport S PDN, '18 R1200GS Rallye
Occupation
chief bottle washer
Typical Sahara owner response to mask the remorse of not owning a real Jeep.
so you have a 2-door as well as that unlimited suv thingie in your avatar?

wow, these asbestos jammies are warm :LOL:

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!