jeme

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
+1 on keeping the Recon.
I was leaning towards a Sahara as well but getting it loaded up to the level of a Rubicon it just made more sense to me to fork out a little extra towards a Rubicon Recon and not worry about doing anything to mess up the warranty. Nearly all of the Sahara's I looked at too that had the options I wanted also had leather and I HATE leather.

95% of the time I'm not gonna be using the lockers or sway bar disconnect, but I bought it so that I can fully enjoy my Jeep that 5% of the time. Plus bonus, it's a Recon. I don't run into other Recon's often, granted it's a cosmetics package, but still kinda cool to have a "limited" edition. Extra bonus, I wasn't a fan of the red dash so having the Recon come with the black dash but keeping the red seatbelts is a huge win in my book.
I do not like the red dash either.
Sponsored

OP
OP
jeme

jeme

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
You’re not crazy to want it different than it is. In fact, I’m in the same boat- just the opposite direction.

I bought the Rubi because I wanted the lockers, gear ratio, transfer case, sway bar disconnect and higher fender clearance. I didn’t want all the stupid red stuff. It’s not a popular opinion around here, but I feel like the Rubi package looks like it was visually designed by a teenage boy.

I’m working on “de-flashing” everything.The only red thing left in the jeep i the dash and I’d love to swap that out with someone who wants a red one.

By the end of the year the only thing that will look like a Rubicon will be the grill (which I prefer the Rubicon to the Sport).

So, make it yours. It’s for you not anyone else.
You can order the “leather” dash for about $350 and there are you tube videos on how to replace it. Thanks

OP
OP
jeme

jeme

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Thanks so much for the comments everyone - really appreciate the input and advice. Interesting - not many comments on wanting to go to a Diesel?

Not sure what I want to do at this point.

Quick questions. Can the LED Fogs from a Saraha go into a Rubicon steel bumper? Just thinking. Thanks

jimim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 2017 Tahoe LTZ
Just keep it, take it down some forest service dirt roads, drive it when it snows, take it to the beach.
That's some of what me and the wife do with our Rubicon and we have a heck of a good time .
That’s where I am in my Jeep life. Dirt roads up our cabin. I’m in a snow belt area. I can’t wait for winter! And our yearly beach trips. I can’t wait to hit the inlet to fish with my Jeep!

I just think for those who want an aggressive looking Jeep and don’t want to put the time, knowledge, and money into mods, the rubicon is where it’s at! Just my opinion but I’m sooooo happy with mine. I don’t even go near our other truck anymore. A loaded out 17 Tahoe which I also love.

Sponsored

PsychoTrucker81

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
You’re not crazy to want it different than it is. In fact, I’m in the same boat- just the opposite direction.

I bought the Rubi because I wanted the lockers, gear ratio, transfer case, sway bar disconnect and higher fender clearance. I didn’t want all the stupid red stuff. It’s not a popular opinion around here, but I feel like the Rubi package looks like it was visually designed by a teenage boy.

I’m working on “de-flashing” everything.The only red thing left in the jeep i the dash and I’d love to swap that out with someone who wants a red one.

By the end of the year the only thing that will look like a Rubicon will be the grill (which I prefer the Rubicon to the Sport).

So, make it yours. It’s for you not anyone else.
If it’s black, and you want to get rid of that flashy hood, I’ll trade ya

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks so much for the comments everyone - really appreciate the input and advice. Interesting - not many comments on wanting to go to a Diesel?

Not sure what I want to do at this point.

Quick questions. Can the LED Fogs from a Saraha go into a Rubicon steel bumper? Just thinking. Thanks

When you say a lot of over the road driving, do you mean long trips.

Cause if I were doing a lot of LONG road trips, even though diesel may give you better gas mileage, I would put comfort ahead of that, and get a nice comfortable SUV, that probably gets better gas mileage than the diesel Wrangler anyway.

comptech87

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Consultant
One thing to keep in mind too other than the Rubicons are awesome (Yes, im Bias). Out of all of the Wrangler Models the Rubicons hold their value slightly better. I have a friend at work that has a decked out Sahara and she wishes she would have gotten a Rubicon. Honestly the Rubicon has a better ride in my opinion too.

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Am I crazy to want to change Jeeps?
Yes.. Unless this is about the payments being too high, or wanting to save money somehow.. then yes wanting to downgrade is kinda nuts from my prospective. And believe me I understand the concept of not being able to take it off road. I live in NY/CT and taking your vehicle off-road anywhere here could get you a long list of fines, but if I already had a Rubicon I wouldn't be looking to downgrade just because I cant take it off road here.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
'I purchased too much Jeep.'
LOL no such thing. But depending on the purchase price, you could do well on the sale. I could probably sell mine for more than what I paid. But I also think you should keep it. Even if you're just mall crawling, the one time you go offroad and use those Rubicon features, you'll be glad you had them. As my old boss would say, it's better to be looking at it than looking for it.

Sponsored

DizzyIzzy

First Name
Izzy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 AEV JL370 - Hellayella JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
There is nothing wrong with regretting your purchase. Everyone has gone through buyer's remorse in their lives.

Now that you've bought it, see if you can make use of it. Just take it to an off-road park once, if there is one in your state. Use the lockers and the 4WD system and learn how everything works and how to use it. If you do it just once, then you may fall in love with it and it's capabilities. Give it a shot, maybe you won't regret your decision of getting it. :like:

In terms of diesel, I had to think long and hard about it. Don't get it thinking it's a good option for fuel economy. If you want the torque off-road then you should think of getting it.

The V6 is a bulletproof engine and the turbo 4 is less complicated than the diesel and it's exhaust system. I was able to get 20.1 mpg on 37" tires and 4.56 gearing with my V6 driving between 60 and 70 mph using the adaptive cruise control on my last trip.

Jeep Wrangler JL I think I purchased too much Jeep? 1600178250775

Last edited:

KarnaughMI

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLUR
+1 to keeping the Rubicon.

But, I am going to back to part of your original post ... a diesel. (which I just looked and saw you recognized no one said it...lol). It sounds like what you really want is a diesel, and you are looking at something at maybe a cheaper Sahara vs a loaded Rubicon (last I looked a loaded Rubi > loaded Sahara). If you want a diesel, then do what you have to do. There are other costs associated with a diesel to factor in (besides the premium).

The LEDs will work, you just need a Tazer or something else to reprogram the system to let it know you have LEDs. The sensors are the sensors ... so whether they are in a steel bumper or a plastic bumper, they don't care (again, if you are adding them, you will need to turn them on, which I think the Tazer does).

But again, I might be analyzing it too deeply, but it seems like you want a reason to get a diesel ;)

-Tom

timn1984

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2018 JL Sahara,Dodge Journey 2012, Toyota Camry 2015
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
I do not even know how to start this thread.

So I recently purchased a 2020 Rubicon Recon. I think I needed a mall crawler! Based on my job, family life etc I doubt I will get off road much if at all.

So the recon is fully loaded, but I think it is too much Jeep. I think what I really want is a Diesel Sahara.

I know I will take a huge hit on the Rubicon if I trade it in.

What I want to do with the Sahara is to put on Rubicon take off wheels and a Rubicon hood, not lift just a different look. I will do a lot of over road and have had many diesels vehicles in the past.

So two questions

1 - How hard is it to do those modifications on a Sahara - Front and Rear steel bumpers (will parking sensors still work) and Rubicon hood? Are those mods possible
2 - Am I crazy to want to change Jeeps? I just think the Rubicon it too much and I will never use all of the features etc.

Thoughts?

How would I approach building a Sahara like that? Thanks in advance for the comments/help.
Keep the ruby

timn1984

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2018 JL Sahara,Dodge Journey 2012, Toyota Camry 2015
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
Addendum:
I think if you want to do all those mods, you may save yourself time and money and keep the ruby. Just my opinion

gqgambler

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bright White Moab
Sounds like you want to get a Sahara and mod it to make it look like you have a Rubicon (swap hood and wheels) when you already have a Rubicon. You should keep what you have and enjoy. You will take a bath on trading in the Recon and then spend more money on wheels and hood to change the looks of the Sahara. If you are dead set, your best financial bet might be to find someone on the forum willing to swap a Sahara for the Recon.
Sponsored