Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold the JLUS, New Ford Ranger 4X4 Lariat
Occupation
Retired and happy!
Vehicle Showcase
Many small firearms fit into the top center console glove box just fine. Out of site out of mind and readily available.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Springtail

Springtail

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1977 FJ40, (RestoMod), 2018 Camaro SS Convertible, 2020 Tesla Model Y Performance
Occupation
Co-Owner Springtail LLC
Very much considering that. Did some research and it looks workable. Plus I looked into that table on the tailgate. Might do that too.
Let me know if you come up with anything....I just can't figure a way to make it reasonably work. Thanks for your order this am...I assume one of them was yours. :)

Many small firearms fit into the top center console glove box just fine. Out of site out of mind and readily available.
As long as you are OK with a loaded gun pointing at either you or the front seat passenger....you are good.

Try it and you will see what I'm talking about.

Doc

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
IF I did carry and went in someplace where I couldn’t legally take my firearm, I wouldn’t want to unholster at the back of the Jeep where prying eyes (and camera’s) could see. I would prefer to unholster in the relative privacy of the interior of my Jeep. Seems like a console safe is better. My humble opinion.
Agreed, this is usually what I do when I get to the doctor's office, with doors closed.

HardRock

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Rubicon JK Hard Rock Edition (FL); 2018 Rubicon JL (CA)
Guns and Jeeps are always a hot topic and most times get unnessesarily off track. So please, if you have the urge to get all anti-gun....just act like an adult and move on to another thread.

There are not many products that actually excite me (As a disclaimer, I have no connection with Vaultek at all)....especially enough to go and buy 3 of their products in a matter of days. I spend a lot of time with guns and am very supportive of anything that promote safety and keeps them out of the hands of criminals. This seems like a great option for our lifestyle so I thought that I would share.

I conceal carry near constantly, however...there are times that I am obligated to store my gun in my vehicle. Up until now that has been a challenge mostly because most portable gun safes are not designed for true automotive use (in particular, the rigors of off road and open vehicle usage. They F'n rattle and provide virtually zero protection from the elements. The locks are not reliable and if they are....they are tedious at best to open.

Enter the Vaultek Lifepod series travel vault

• Inexpensive ($107 at Amazon)
  • Airtight/Water resistant (Enough to float)
  • Programmable to any combination between 4-8 digits
  • Big enough for a Glock 19 and spare magazine
  • Has a few options like an Organizer for cards and cash etc, Also a cable loop to secure almost anywhere (Hotel, Car etc). Although....I think it is dumb that they don't include the cable loop for free. (A little tip....if you order the black one from Amazon, some have been reported to come with a cable. I ordered 2 black safes, one came with it and one did not).
  • Multiple colors (I think its like Black, Gold (ish), Grey, Orange, Multicam and there are a couple special editions).
  • It is composed of a tough polymer (feels much like a Glock)....it feels very sturdy, I know that it is drop tested but not sure to what extent. I am sure that if someone spent enough time trying to open it....with some effort and tools they could. But it is certainly way more secure than probably what you are doing now.
  • I don't think that it particularly looks like a safe which is nice.
  • I have found the lock to be super reliable and easy to operate.
I hard mounted one of mine to my Springtail Tailgate Table
MOLLE rack....it seems like a perfect place to discretely stow the gun before proceeding into the places where am restricted. It matches the Punk'n and does not appear out of place in the Jeep.

Doc

CF078F50-739E-44AC-B131-AEB08580455E_zps8g0mxfdr.jpg

6E118CE8-4496-4245-9FDA-EBD6D187FF7F_1_201_a_zpsdlg6vadh.jpg

edited-image_zpsdeboet2j.jpg

edited-image_zpsluggl2tp.jpg

edited-image_zpsb7cmcbfy.jpg
Love this set up. Thanks for the post! Plan on same set up.

Buckster

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 billet silver JLUR '16 Grand Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Power Generation
Vehicle Showcase
As long as you are OK with a loaded gun pointing at either you or the front seat passenger....you are good.

Doc
Sorry, but I take issue with this statement. Is the firearm going to shoot itself? A holstered handgun with the appropriate safeties is of no concern to me in the console. If I was concerned with the likelihood of my CC firing inadvertently, I wouldn't carry behind the back (you'll shoot your ass off, kid...) and I damn sure would not appendix carry.....

Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I like the tailgate set up. Even if the gun box was used for other things. I also believe that if someone breaks into your vehicle, a gun box, or a lock box will not stop them from taking what they want. If a locked door, a locked glove compartment or locked center console doesn't stop them, a gun box will not either. 99% of the stuff you buy can be easily defeated by a determined individual.

I think that a gun in the glove compartment or the center console is just as secure as any of the boxes that you guys are buying. One thing that I learned from working in prison for 30 years is nothing is a tough or as secure as you think it is. Note: I have seen cement block walls with hole blown threw them by a convict using a bed sheet. So if you place your belief in a lock box that has a stamped metal box with a cast lock barrel and a soft metal bolt......well may luck be on your side.

Just do a quick search on Youtube for any of the gun boxes that you plan to buy and see if there is a video of someone opening it in under a minute.

hiding your gun in the Jeep would probably work better. Like a magnet under the dash up in the footwell or on top of the soundbar.

wrangster

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold the JLUS, New Ford Ranger 4X4 Lariat
Occupation
Retired and happy!
Vehicle Showcase
Let me know if you come up with anything....I just can't figure a way to make it reasonably work. Thanks for your order this am...I assume one of them was yours. :)

Doc
It does not point at the front seats, I have it pointing to the rear. And besides that you do not have to keep 1 chambered but I do. The sub compact 380s today are amazingly small.

OP
OP
Springtail

Springtail

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1977 FJ40, (RestoMod), 2018 Camaro SS Convertible, 2020 Tesla Model Y Performance
Occupation
Co-Owner Springtail LLC
Sorry, but I take issue with this statement. Is the firearm going to shoot itself? A holstered handgun with the appropriate safeties is of no concern to me in the console. If I was concerned with the likelihood of my CC firing inadvertently, I wouldn't carry behind the back (you'll shoot your ass off, kid...) and I damn sure would not appendix carry.....
Fundamentally, I don’t disagree with you. From a practical position...I do. “Holstered” is the key word here.

1) I don’t remove my holster when stowing my gun. So it comes out naked.... hence the fitted foam in the safe.
Certainly not safe rattling around in a center console.

2) I’m not sure how well a holstered gun would fit in the center console. As I recall my Glock 26 barely fits with a pocket holster...I found any of my kydex holsters would fit.

3) I was taught in a stricter sense than you....loaded/unloaded, safeties in place or not, the barrel of the gun never gets pointed at anything that I don’t intend to destroy.

That includes my junk downstairs (I don’t get the appeal of appendix carry anyway). I’ve seen too many negligent discharges in my life where someone broke that rule.

I like the tailgate set up. Even if the gun box was used for other things. I also believe that if someone breaks into your vehicle, a gun box, or a lock box will not stop them from taking what they want. If a locked door, a locked glove compartment or locked center console doesn't stop them, a gun box will not either. 99% of the stuff you buy can be easily defeated by a determined individual.

I think that a gun in the glove compartment or the center console is just as secure as any of the boxes that you guys are buying. One thing that I learned from working in prison for 30 years is nothing is a tough or as secure as you think it is. Note: I have seen cement block walls with hole blown threw them by a convict using a bed sheet. So if you place your belief in a lock box that has a stamped metal box with a cast lock barrel and a soft metal bolt......well may luck be on your side.

Just do a quick search on Youtube for any of the gun boxes that you plan to buy and see if there is a video of someone opening it in under a minute.

hiding your gun in the Jeep would probably work better. Like a magnet under the dash up in the footwell or on top of the soundbar.
I would take that a step further in mentioning...it does not matter what kind of safe you have, if they steal your vehicle. They can take their own sweet time opening whatever you have in there.

Years ago, I had my crewcab stolen in Kansas City....once you start compiling the daily items that are normally in your vehicle it will amaze you. No guns were in the truck...but I had about a $2000 list of tools and other stuff that disappeared. When the truck was recovered, the thieves tossed everything they did not want in the bed of truck

My recommendations will only help In slowing down an honest thief or a someone grabbing something out of the open Jeep. As a general rule, criminals go after the easy prey....if there is some meaningful impediment, they will move to an easier target.

As a side note: This is partially why I developed the rip away bags. They go in the hotel with me a night. It’s hard to steal something that’s not there in the first place.

Doc

Fonzilla85

First Name
Fonz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Lawman
Fundamentally, I don’t disagree with you. From a practical position...I do. “Holstered” is the key word here.

1) I don’t remove my holster when stowing my gun. So it comes out naked.... hence the fitted foam in the safe.
Certainly not safe rattling around in a center console.

2) I’m not sure how well a holstered gun would fit in the center console. As I recall my Glock 26 barely fits with a pocket holster...I found any of my kydex holsters would fit.

3) I was taught in a stricter sense than you....loaded/unloaded, safeties in place or not, the barrel of the gun never gets pointed at anything that I don’t intend to destroy.

That includes my junk downstairs (I don’t get the appeal of appendix carry anyway). I’ve seen too many negligent discharges in my life where someone broke that rule.

I would take that a step further in mentioning...it does not matter what kind of safe you have, if they steal your vehicle. They can take their own sweet time opening whatever you have in there.

Years ago, I had my crewcab stolen in Kansas City....once you start compiling the daily items that are normally in your vehicle it will amaze you. No guns were in the truck...but I had about a $2000 list of tools and other stuff that disappeared. When the truck was recovered, the thieves tossed everything they did not want in the bed of truck

My recommendations will only help In slowing down an honest thief or a someone grabbing something out of the open Jeep. As a general rule, criminals go after the easy prey....if there is some meaningful impediment, they will move to an easier target.

As a side note: This is partially why I developed the rip away bags. They go in the hotel with me a night. It’s hard to steal something that’s not there in the first place.

Doc
What exactly is an “honest thief”?

UKCATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon/2020 Mazda3 Hatchback
Occupation
I play piano in a whorehouse
If I carried, I would unholster and slip the firearm into a Sticky holster before storing in the safe. I’ve heard that even a Glock 20 in a Sticky holster will fit in a Console Vault, with the muzzle pointed straight forward.

Sponsored

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
For those talking about "They want their firearm on them", that is not what this is about.

It is about having a location you can secure your firearm, at times when you must exit your vehicle and enter a place they are prohibited, and feel it is more secure than just sitting somewhere out of sight.

I carry most every day from work, but when I stop at the gym on the way home, I can't easily carry into the gym, and I feel much better having my firearm locked up in my Jeep than the cheap lockers at the gym. Especially since I change before I leave work, so I don't even need to use the locker room.

Another night, I meet a couple friends for dinner, and sometimes we sit at the bar because it's open versus waiting on a table.

As far as the topic, it's a neat device. I still am locking it in the glove box at the moment. Sometimes if I'll put it in the rear storage.

OP
OP
Springtail

Springtail

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Co-Owner Springtail LLC
What exactly is an “honest thief”?
Person who commits an opportunistic crime.

Example: Passing by an open Jeep and taking a wallet that was left on the seat.

Fonzilla85

First Name
Fonz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Lawman
Person who commits an opportunistic crime.

Example: Passing by an open Jeep and taking a wallet that was left on the seat.
Definition of “Honesty” per Oxford Dictionary:
free of deceit and untruthfulness; sincere.

Definition of “Thief” per Oxford Dictionary: a person who steals another person's property, especially by stealth and without using force or violence.
Above are the definitions of both words you used together. In my 30 Years of walking the earth I’ve never heard such bull. How can a person be honest and a thief?
Would an honest person deprive another person of property or anything of value? I would have to say no.
In my six years of law enforcement, I’ve never crossed paths with an honest thief, mostly because they don’t exist.
Thief’s by nature care only about themselves, stealing to fuel a drug habit or for financial gain.
Next time you come here and post about some garbage product you think is awesome and are presented with facts showing how it’s trash, don’t resort to justifying it by classifying honest and dishonest, you sound like a damn fool.

OP
OP
Springtail

Springtail

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Co-Owner Springtail LLC
Definition of “Honesty” per Oxford Dictionary:
free of deceit and untruthfulness; sincere.

Definition of “Thief” per Oxford Dictionary: a person who steals another person's property, especially by stealth and without using force or violence.
Above are the definitions of both words you used together. In my 30 Years of walking the earth I’ve never heard such bull. How can a person be honest and a thief?
Would an honest person deprive another person of property or anything of value? I would have to say no.
In my six years of law enforcement, I’ve never crossed paths with an honest thief, mostly because they don’t exist.
Thief’s by nature care only about themselves, stealing to fuel a drug habit or for financial gain.
Next time you come here and post about some garbage product you think is awesome and are presented with facts showing how it’s trash, don’t resort to justifying it by classifying honest and dishonest, you sound like a damn fool.
It’s a phrase that I did not invent.

Someone certainly woke up on the “wrong side of the bed” today.

Just to save you time in figuring that one out....

Cambridge Academic Dictionary

”Wake up on wrong side of bed”

To wake up in a bad mood

Doc

Fonzilla85

First Name
Fonz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Lawman
It’s a phrase that I did not invent.

Someone certainly woke up on the “wrong side of the bed” today.

Just to save you time in figuring that one out....

Cambridge Academic Dictionary

”Wake up on wrong side of bed”

To wake up in a bad mood

Doc
Bud, no anger in my previous post, annoyed if anything. Just not understanding someone’s idea of calling a thief honest.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.