Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Captain
I believe the correct phrase here would be that this safe (and most other similar devices) work only "to keep an honest man honest." Maybe that is a more palatable idea? lol
Sponsored

tasteless garbage

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler rubicon unlimited
Guns and Jeeps are always a hot topic and most times get unnessesarily off track. So please, if you have the urge to get all anti-gun....just act like an adult and move on to another thread.

There are not many products that actually excite me (As a disclaimer, I have no connection with Vaultek at all)....especially enough to go and buy 3 of their products in a matter of days. I spend a lot of time with guns and am very supportive of anything that promote safety and keeps them out of the hands of criminals. This seems like a great option for our lifestyle so I thought that I would share.

I conceal carry near constantly, however...there are times that I am obligated to store my gun in my vehicle. Up until now that has been a challenge mostly because most portable gun safes are not designed for true automotive use (in particular, the rigors of off road and open vehicle usage. They F'n rattle and provide virtually zero protection from the elements. The locks are not reliable and if they are....they are tedious at best to open.

Enter the Vaultek Lifepod series travel vault

• Inexpensive ($107 at Amazon)
  • Airtight/Water resistant (Enough to float)
  • Programmable to any combination between 4-8 digits
  • Big enough for a Glock 19 and spare magazine
  • Has a few options like an Organizer for cards and cash etc, Also a cable loop to secure almost anywhere (Hotel, Car etc). Although....I think it is dumb that they don't include the cable loop for free. (A little tip....if you order the black one from Amazon, some have been reported to come with a cable. I ordered 2 black safes, one came with it and one did not).
  • Multiple colors (I think its like Black, Gold (ish), Grey, Orange, Multicam and there are a couple special editions).
  • It is composed of a tough polymer (feels much like a Glock)....it feels very sturdy, I know that it is drop tested but not sure to what extent. I am sure that if someone spent enough time trying to open it....with some effort and tools they could. But it is certainly way more secure than probably what you are doing now.
  • I don't think that it particularly looks like a safe which is nice.
  • I have found the lock to be super reliable and easy to operate.
I hard mounted one of mine to my Springtail Tailgate Table
MOLLE rack....it seems like a perfect place to discretely stow the gun before proceeding into the places where am restricted. It matches the Punk'n and does not appear out of place in the Jeep.

Doc

CF078F50-739E-44AC-B131-AEB08580455E_zps8g0mxfdr.jpg

6E118CE8-4496-4245-9FDA-EBD6D187FF7F_1_201_a_zpsdlg6vadh.jpg

edited-image_zpsdeboet2j.jpg

edited-image_zpsluggl2tp.jpg

edited-image_zpsb7cmcbfy.jpg

OP
OP
Springtail

Springtail

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1977 FJ40, (RestoMod), 2018 Camaro SS Convertible, 2020 Tesla Model Y Performance
Occupation
Co-Owner Springtail LLC
For anyone who is curious what may fit (or doesn't) in the top center console....

Ruger LCP Fits sideways (with pocket holster)

0FB94E58-6EF2-4C5C-90B7-817155895F1F_zpsimxskxir.jpg

Ruger LCP fits pointing back (but not with holster)

619D1EC1-5609-4B48-B366-30A41F2EAB84_zpsuitjvwub.jpg

Ruger LCR Does not fit (With or without holster)

3B53903C-CBDF-4BA9-B222-F0EEDFCDC19C_zpsr7rteryg.jpg

Glock 26 does not fit

F7226B3F-EE57-41E1-80DB-359DA0A48AA4_zpssfbjpi5h.jpg

Doc

AEDRUBI

First Name
AED
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL RUBICON
Always thought it would be nice to to take advantage of some void in the dash or other location and have it as a compartment not otherwise known to your run of the mill car burglars...or, something inconspicuous like a fire extinguisher that holds a pistol

Last edited:

obiwankabaldi

First Name
Lew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
Anyone know what the delay is in someone coming up with an armored glove box for the JL? I do not like the console set up so much since it is difficult to open and access a gun there. The old armored glove boxes were slick and better suited for gun concealment and access. JMHO. Would buy one in a second if available...

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
My gun won't fit in those things.
20191008_054559_resized (1).jpg
:crying:

Foggy47

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, billet silver w/ 1 touch sky top. Honda Ridgeline for gentleman's pickup needs.
Occupation
Retired with hobbies. Golf, Fishing, Hunting, Sploring
My gun won't fit in those things.
20191008_054559_resized (1).jpg
:crying:
I'm with you on the .410 shotguns......but mine is a sweet Henry, lever-action .410 with a 20" bbl and sights. Fun to own and shoots 6 rounds pretty quickly. Just bought a scabbard for it that will enclose the entire gun. I think I have a place to mount the scabbard? More to come.

I do have a 9mm Kahr compact in that center council, but I am looking for a better location for this. Hopefully a new solution will surface soon.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I'm with you on the .410 shotguns......but mine is a sweet Henry, lever-action .410 with a 20" bbl and sights. Fun to own and shoots 6 rounds pretty quickly. Just bought a scabbard for it that will enclose the entire gun. I think I have a place to mount the scabbard? More to come.

I do have a 9mm Kahr compact in that center council, but I am looking for a better location for this. Hopefully a new solution will surface soon.
I removed the back seat and built a platform for the bird dogs that has room for a few long gun soft cases in the footwell.

Foggy47

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, billet silver w/ 1 touch sky top. Honda Ridgeline for gentleman's pickup needs.
Occupation
Retired with hobbies. Golf, Fishing, Hunting, Sploring
I removed the back seat and built a platform for the bird dogs that has room for a few long gun soft cases in the footwell.
I currently stow my cased shotgun under the rear seat.....and I do have good access to it from the drivers side via the rear door. However putting the rear seatbacks down takes that spot out of the equation as the seats use that space to fold. I do not need instant access to my shotgun.....but I like to have it along on trail rides. Never know when you get attacked by pigeons, snakes or quail. Grin.

The new scabbard will allow the gun barrel to rest alongside of the rear backrest (drivers side) and tie to the roll-cage and have access through the back lift door. Alternately I can store the gun in the new scabbard under the back seat or on the rear floor. The gun and scabbard is only 40" long. I think I can be happy with this arrangement.

Grateful1

First Name
Grateful
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 1998 TJ Sport 2011 Extreme Camper
Occupation
HR Manager
Guns and Jeeps are always a hot topic and most times get unnessesarily off track. So please, if you have the urge to get all anti-gun....just act like an adult and move on to another thread.

There are not many products that actually excite me (As a disclaimer, I have no connection with Vaultek at all)....especially enough to go and buy 3 of their products in a matter of days. I spend a lot of time with guns and am very supportive of anything that promote safety and keeps them out of the hands of criminals. This seems like a great option for our lifestyle so I thought that I would share.

I conceal carry near constantly, however...there are times that I am obligated to store my gun in my vehicle. Up until now that has been a challenge mostly because most portable gun safes are not designed for true automotive use (in particular, the rigors of off road and open vehicle usage. They F'n rattle and provide virtually zero protection from the elements. The locks are not reliable and if they are....they are tedious at best to open.

Enter the Vaultek Lifepod series travel vault

• Inexpensive ($107 at Amazon)
  • Airtight/Water resistant (Enough to float)
  • Programmable to any combination between 4-8 digits
  • Big enough for a Glock 19 and spare magazine
  • Has a few options like an Organizer for cards and cash etc, Also a cable loop to secure almost anywhere (Hotel, Car etc). Although....I think it is dumb that they don't include the cable loop for free. (A little tip....if you order the black one from Amazon, some have been reported to come with a cable. I ordered 2 black safes, one came with it and one did not).
  • Multiple colors (I think its like Black, Gold (ish), Grey, Orange, Multicam and there are a couple special editions).
  • It is composed of a tough polymer (feels much like a Glock)....it feels very sturdy, I know that it is drop tested but not sure to what extent. I am sure that if someone spent enough time trying to open it....with some effort and tools they could. But it is certainly way more secure than probably what you are doing now.
  • I don't think that it particularly looks like a safe which is nice.
  • I have found the lock to be super reliable and easy to operate.
I hard mounted one of mine to my Springtail Tailgate Table
MOLLE rack....it seems like a perfect place to discretely stow the gun before proceeding into the places where am restricted. It matches the Punk'n and does not appear out of place in the Jeep.

Doc

CF078F50-739E-44AC-B131-AEB08580455E_zps8g0mxfdr.jpg

6E118CE8-4496-4245-9FDA-EBD6D187FF7F_1_201_a_zpsdlg6vadh.jpg

edited-image_zpsdeboet2j.jpg

edited-image_zpsluggl2tp.jpg

edited-image_zpsb7cmcbfy.jpg
Dude. It looks like it beings there. So freakin’ kewl. Great share. Safety safety safety and friggin’ kewl.

Sponsored

Huskywrangler

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I really want a gun safe but I'm starting to think using the rear storage cubby with the tailgate locked is more secure than alot of the other options. This with cable under a seat might not be terrible l..

Stomper

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport S
Just put a small piece of metal or even cardboard between the button and foam after you have programmed it to block access to the button.

You don’t even need to pry it. There’s enough flex in the case where you can insert a zip tie or a fork and press the button to reset the combination to default.

Fork:

Zip-tie:

OP
OP
Springtail

Springtail

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1977 FJ40, (RestoMod), 2018 Camaro SS Convertible, 2020 Tesla Model Y Performance
Occupation
Co-Owner Springtail LLC
Just put a small piece of metal or even cardboard between the button and foam after you have programmed it to block access to the button.
I was thinking exactly the same thing. There is a thin sticky backed type of sheet metal out there that would be perfect but I can't think of what it is called.

Doc

Griff71

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray JLUR
I just picked up one of these guys at the local armory, because any safe is better than no safe at all!

42011BD7-DB3F-4C11-83AF-257F8BD8ECC8.jpeg

Oh and I was pleasantly surprised to see that they have incorporated a security enhancement, to address the vulnerability that has been talked about here and posted on YouTube by a number of people.

0816149A-B248-46CA-BDF0-DFAD167439C1.jpeg

OP
OP
Springtail

Springtail

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Co-Owner Springtail LLC
I just picked up one of these guys at the local armory, because any safe is better than no safe at all!

42011BD7-DB3F-4C11-83AF-257F8BD8ECC8.jpeg

Oh and I was pleasantly surprised to see that they have incorporated a security enhancement, to address the vulnerability that has been talked about here and posted on YouTube by a number of people.

0816149A-B248-46CA-BDF0-DFAD167439C1.jpeg

I'm glad that they upgraded the security....not that I am all that concerned with my models. Youtube "hackers' love to post these types of videos but they really don't have any practical application in reality. Mostly because thieves generally are not so dainty in the application of their trade.

I use mine almost every day...the function so far has been flawless

Doc
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.