I Think I Found The Perfect Gun Safe for Jeeps

1. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
    Liked:
    If you cannot get to the gun quickly, why even have it in a safe??
    Rule of thumb, never leave your gun in your vehicle, for those using these safes for storage. . There is a good chance they will get stolen.

Fonzilla85 likes this.
  2. OP
    OP
    Springtail

Springtail Well-Known Member
    Rock Sponsor (Level 1)

First Name:
    Doc
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 JLUR, 1977 FJ40, (RestoMod), 2013 Fiat Abarth, 2014 WRX, 2018 Camaro SS Convertible
    Liked:
    Co-Owner Springtail LLC
    Read the preceding discussions....it’s already been covered.

BTW: secure storage has a multitude of uses beside guns....storing your cash or wallet while going for a run/hike. It’s a good place to keep your registration and insurance info when he keep is open. Does not hurt that it’s actually water resistant as well.

Doc

Grateful1 likes this.
  3. wrangster

wrangster Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Ray
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 JLUS
    Liked:
    Retired and happy!
    Garage Profiles:
    Many small firearms fit into the top center console glove box just fine. Out of site out of mind and readily available.

Buckster and UKCATS like this.
  4. OP
    OP
    Springtail

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)

First Name:
    Doc
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 JLUR, 1977 FJ40, (RestoMod), 2013 Fiat Abarth, 2014 WRX, 2018 Camaro SS Convertible
    Liked:
    Co-Owner Springtail LLC
    Let me know if you come up with anything....I just can't figure a way to make it reasonably work. Thanks for your order this am...I assume one of them was yours. :)

As long as you are OK with a loaded gun pointing at either you or the front seat passenger....you are good.

Try it and you will see what I'm talking about.

Doc

Grateful1 and HoundDude like this.
  5. Sean L

Sean L Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Sean
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 2017 Honda Accord Sport, 2003 Yamaha V Star 650 Silverado, 2014 Yamaha V Star 1300 Tourer
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    Agreed, this is usually what I do when I get to the doctor's office, with doors closed.

Buckster and UKCATS like this.
  6. HardRock

HardRock Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle(s):
    2015 Rubicon JK Hard Rock Edition (FL); 2018 Rubicon JL (CA)
    Liked:
    Love this set up. Thanks for the post! Plan on same set up.

Springtail likes this.
  7. Buckster

Buckster Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle(s):
    '19 billet silver JLUR, '16 Grand Cherokee Overland, '12 BMW 328i cab
    Liked:
    Power Generation
    Garage Profiles:
    Sorry, but I take issue with this statement. Is the firearm going to shoot itself? A holstered handgun with the appropriate safeties is of no concern to me in the console. If I was concerned with the likelihood of my CC firing inadvertently, I wouldn't carry behind the back (you'll shoot your ass off, kid...) and I damn sure would not appendix carry.....

8. wibornz

wibornz Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Ted
    Vehicle(s):
    JL Unlimited Rubicon
    Liked:
    Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
    I like the tailgate set up. Even if the gun box was used for other things. I also believe that if someone breaks into your vehicle, a gun box, or a lock box will not stop them from taking what they want. If a locked door, a locked glove compartment or locked center console doesn't stop them, a gun box will not either. 99% of the stuff you buy can be easily defeated by a determined individual.

I think that a gun in the glove compartment or the center console is just as secure as any of the boxes that you guys are buying. One thing that I learned from working in prison for 30 years is nothing is a tough or as secure as you think it is. Note: I have seen cement block walls with hole blown threw them by a convict using a bed sheet. So if you place your belief in a lock box that has a stamped metal box with a cast lock barrel and a soft metal bolt......well may luck be on your side.

Just do a quick search on Youtube for any of the gun boxes that you plan to buy and see if there is a video of someone opening it in under a minute.

hiding your gun in the Jeep would probably work better. Like a magnet under the dash up in the footwell or on top of the soundbar.

HoundDude and Buckster like this.
  9. wrangster

wrangster Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Ray
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 JLUS
    Liked:
    Retired and happy!
    Garage Profiles:
    It does not point at the front seats, I have it pointing to the rear. And besides that you do not have to keep 1 chambered but I do. The sub compact 380s today are amazingly small.

UKCATS likes this.
  10. OP
    OP
    Springtail

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)

First Name:
    Doc
    Vehicle(s):
    Liked:
    Co-Owner Springtail LLC
    Fundamentally, I don’t disagree with you. From a practical position...I do. “Holstered” is the key word here.

1) I don’t remove my holster when stowing my gun. So it comes out naked.... hence the fitted foam in the safe.
    Certainly not safe rattling around in a center console.

2) I’m not sure how well a holstered gun would fit in the center console. As I recall my Glock 26 barely fits with a pocket holster...I found any of my kydex holsters would fit.

3) I was taught in a stricter sense than you....loaded/unloaded, safeties in place or not, the barrel of the gun never gets pointed at anything that I don’t intend to destroy.

That includes my junk downstairs (I don’t get the appeal of appendix carry anyway). I’ve seen too many negligent discharges in my life where someone broke that rule.

I would take that a step further in mentioning...it does not matter what kind of safe you have, if they steal your vehicle. They can take their own sweet time opening whatever you have in there.

Years ago, I had my crewcab stolen in Kansas City....once you start compiling the daily items that are normally in your vehicle it will amaze you. No guns were in the truck...but I had about a $2000 list of tools and other stuff that disappeared. When the truck was recovered, the thieves tossed everything they did not want in the bed of truck

My recommendations will only help In slowing down an honest thief or a someone grabbing something out of the open Jeep. As a general rule, criminals go after the easy prey....if there is some meaningful impediment, they will move to an easier target.

As a side note: This is partially why I developed the rip away bags. They go in the hotel with me a night. It’s hard to steal something that’s not there in the first place.

Doc

11. Fonzilla85

Fonzilla85 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Alfonso
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited
    Liked:
    Professional Gunslinger
    What exactly is an “honest thief”?

12. UKCATS

UKCATS Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 Rubicon 2 door/2020 Gladiator Rubicon
    Liked:
    I play piano in a whorehouse
    If I carried, I would unholster and slip the firearm into a Sticky holster before storing in the safe. I’ve heard that even a Glock 20 in a Sticky holster will fit in a Console Vault, with the muzzle pointed straight forward.

13. TimmH

TimmH Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Timm
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    For those talking about "They want their firearm on them", that is not what this is about.

It is about having a location you can secure your firearm, at times when you must exit your vehicle and enter a place they are prohibited, and feel it is more secure than just sitting somewhere out of sight.

I carry most every day from work, but when I stop at the gym on the way home, I can't easily carry into the gym, and I feel much better having my firearm locked up in my Jeep than the cheap lockers at the gym. Especially since I change before I leave work, so I don't even need to use the locker room.

Another night, I meet a couple friends for dinner, and sometimes we sit at the bar because it's open versus waiting on a table.

As far as the topic, it's a neat device. I still am locking it in the glove box at the moment. Sometimes if I'll put it in the rear storage.

laraza2k1, Springtail and UKCATS like this.
  14. OP
    OP
    Springtail

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)

First Name:
    Doc
    Vehicle(s):
    Liked:
    Co-Owner Springtail LLC
    Person who commits an opportunistic crime.

Example: Passing by an open Jeep and taking a wallet that was left on the seat.

15. Fonzilla85

Fonzilla85 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Alfonso
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited
    Liked:
    Professional Gunslinger
    Definition of “Honesty” per Oxford Dictionary:
    free of deceit and untruthfulness; sincere.

Definition of “Thief” per Oxford Dictionary: a person who steals another person's property, especially by stealth and without using force or violence.
    Above are the definitions of both words you used together. In my 30 Years of walking the earth I’ve never heard such bull. How can a person be honest and a thief?
    Would an honest person deprive another person of property or anything of value? I would have to say no.
    In my six years of law enforcement, I’ve never crossed paths with an honest thief, mostly because they don’t exist.
    Thief’s by nature care only about themselves, stealing to fuel a drug habit or for financial gain.
    Next time you come here and post about some garbage product you think is awesome and are presented with facts showing how it’s trash, don’t resort to justifying it by classifying honest and dishonest, you sound like a damn fool.