Sponsored

I think I’m missing something. OEM stereo upgrade.

theWidgetman

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 Door Sport S
I’ve been Reading everything in here about adding an aftermarket amp. The load resistors, the pac AmpPRO, fix 86 etc., but I’m still not sure I 100% get it. Why does the alpine t harness that comes with the pss 23wra work with the alpine KT amp? The harness doesn’t have any load resistors in it, or does it? If it doesn’t, how does it work? Or am I just missing something really simple here. I have been know to over-complicate.
Thanks, I know this topic has been beat to death.
Sponsored

69 ORIGINAL

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS 3.6L & 2020 JLUS 2.0L
Occupation
Finance
I’ve been Reading everything in here about adding an aftermarket amp. The load resistors, the pac AmpPRO, fix 86 etc., but I’m still not sure I 100% get it. Why does the alpine t harness that comes with the pss 23wra work with the alpine KT amp? The harness doesn’t have any load resistors in it, or does it? If it doesn’t, how does it work? Or am I just missing something really simple here. I have been know to over-complicate.
Thanks, I know this topic has been beat to death.
I don't really know anything about stereo parts, however, I installed the Alpine 23wra two weekends ago on a JL sport S with the stock 7" head unit. It sounds great. Install was suprisingly easy (great youtube video for install helped a lot). Everything was truly plug and play. Trim removal tools, full set of torq's, philips screwdriver and a few hours is all it took. The most frustrating thing was not knowing how the stupid platic wire interfaces worked - e.g., what to slide, where to push, etc. The extra underseat carpet was also a pain - so I cut it to fit as I was worried that moving the seat back and forth on the slider could damage the air-bag sensor wires.
The tweeters are crisp and the bass deep ... made all of the plastic trim rattle somehing fierce past 20 volume ... so last week I took practically all the trim off and installed sound deading noico sheets in the sound bar and front speaker boxes, and foam insulation tape anywhere I had even a suspicion that there was a rattle. Most was in the roll bar, but I had extra noico matt, so I kept going around the transmission and on the floors under the carpet, in the doors, I didn't get it all, but its friggin fantastic sounding now. My Daughter has the premium alipine with stock subwoofer and I'm going to do the sounproofing on her's next. I doubt I'll ever really turn the voume up in real life, but nice to know that I can. Anyway, NO complaints with the Alpine PSS 23WRA and strongly suggesting sound proofing, what ever your set up is. Makes all the difference.

KrzybonesJLU

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU SPORT S, 2024 WILLY's
I think the T harness is just a harness there is nothing special about it. It just Prewires the alpine set up to make it plug and play.

OP
OP

theWidgetman

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 Door Sport S
But I guess I need to know how. Everything I’ve read says either you need load resistors, or you need a device like the amppro or fix 86. Other than the plug and play adapters why does this seemingly ordinary t harness work? It seems no different than a more user friendly way of tapping the lines behind the radio. If I tried tapping the lines behind the radio or just used any t harness and ran to that same amp from what I understand it wouldn’t work unless I soldered resisters to the speaker lines. What am I missing?

OP
OP

theWidgetman

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 Door Sport S
Is it maybe that the KTP 445u is different than a normal amp? Is it just boosting the signal from head unit so maybe the head unit can still sense the speaker load even with amp in the chain.
Sponsored