www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 4xe Rubicon, 2004 WJ
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Carhauler
Vehicle Showcase
I've been using my Grizzl-E classic for a couple months now, and I have no complainants about the quality or performance. It was one of the least expensive options at around $400 for a refurbished unit.

I thought that I didn't need one of the smart units. My rationale was that my electric rates are constant, and I don't need to schedule charging.

However, I'm now finding that I really want to know how much of my electric bill goes to charging the Jeep, and I can't easily determine this now. I'm disappointed that the multiple Jeep apps don't show this from the load side of the cord. I now realize that having current monitoring on the supply side actually is necessary and useful, especially since most smart charger apps will do the calculation for you based on your electric rates.

So if you can, I say spend a little more for a charger with a good app that gives you useful data, even if you don't need off-peak scheduling.
Sponsored

N8213

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 4XE, 20 C8, 20 Indian, 55 Studebaker truck
Charge a time or two on a ChargePoint public charger. They give a plot of kw over time and totals that you can compare to the percentage your jeep shows.

Reactions: omg

Sponsored

Jeeperz Kreeperz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
Cant you just set a charging schedule on the app in the Uconnect to only charge off peak hours?
You may have missed it, but the OP said their rates are constant - I took this to mean no peak or off-peak rates. Just one flat rate regardless of time of use.

It appears they’re just looking to determine what portion of their electric bill is attributable to charging the Jeep.

I wish I could track this as well. My electric bill increased more than I expected, so I’d love to see a breakdown of how much I’m actually charging the Jeep.

NebulaPHEVJeep

First Name
Nebula
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLUR 4xe
Pretty easy overall. What is your battery percentage when you started? It's a 17.3 kWh battery. So, for example you start at 39% battery and charge to 80% - you added 7.3kWh .

Perhaps I should write the app? Enter in your start and finish percentages and then log it. Still not a smart charger, but better than nothing.

N8213

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 4XE, 20 C8, 20 Indian, 55 Studebaker truck
Pretty easy overall. What is your battery percentage when you started? It's a 17.3 kWh battery. So, for example you start at 39% battery and charge to 80% - you added 7.3kWh .

Perhaps I should write the app? Enter in your start and finish percentages and then log it. Still not a smart charger, but better than nothing.

Op was asking about the supply side which would include any power losses in inefficiencies of the conversion from AC to DC to dump electrons into the onboard battery. Not sure if any data exists on the conversion efficiency running through the Grizzle charger plus the on board electronics.

OP
OP
BigMaCro

BigMaCro

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 4xe Rubicon, 2004 WJ
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Carhauler
Vehicle Showcase
It's a 17.3 kWh battery. So, for example you start at 39% battery and charge to 80% - you added 7.3kWh .
The problem with this is the assumption that the entire design capacity of the battery has been used when the dash shows <1% remaining.

No rechargeable battery should be discharged fully, and while LiFePO4 is better than many other chemistries, it's life would be seriously impaired if it were to be discharged potentially multiple times per day below 20%, maybe even 50%... And we don't know how much jeep keeps for hybrid mode and starting the engine, etc. My guess is we really are using only about half the battery in ev mode.

So, to circle back around to my suggestion, this is why I wish I had purchased an EVSE with measurement capabilities. While I can compare my electric bill usage to last year, there are other differences beside the Jeep charging.
Sponsored