Sponsored

I screwed up real real bad . Passenger side firewall disaster

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Take pictures, lots of pictures of how everything is connected. That way you can refer back when the confusion of ā€œwhat goes whereā€ sets in.
Excellent advice!

This is the first thing I tell guys/gals that ask me how to wire up something... I tell them take plenty of pictures before they foo with things.. Pictures regard to any install are also a plus.

As you said ... Once that confusion of ā€œwhat goes whereā€ sets in .....the pictures will save the day so to speak.

I also tell them to save the pictures on their laptop. Place them in a folder that is labeled appropriately so you can find it in the future... Why....... because in a very short time, you will forget what the frig you did in regard to that particular install..

With pictures it is easy to go back, look at the pictures and troubleshoot issues or to say do the install on another vehicle.

Last edited:

ChuckQue

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Clubs

If I were you Iā€™d take a crack at it and do the repair myself. Itā€™s going to suck, youā€™ll probably spend a couple days doing it and a lot of cursing will be involved, but youā€™ll feel like a damn king after you accomplish it. Plus itā€™ll cost you a bucketload to have the dealer fixā€¦.might as well go for it.

Jerpy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
May need to double check that you have not popped any fuses. If you shorted those wires, you may have popped a fuse.
ā˜ I second this. I disconnected my battery wrong and blew a fuse that lit up my dashboard. Turned out to just be a blown 5A fuse.

Sponsored

laroo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 4xe
I just went through a similar issue with another vehicle. Squirrels chewed up some wires, including at the connectors. I tried for a week to fix it myself, but I couldn't find the molex pins in the correct size for the connectors. Three different orders from Amazon got me slightly wrong size pins. If I had the right size, or was able to replace the male and female connectors, I could have fixed it.

In the end, I made an insurance claim. $5000 repair cost me my $500 deductible. That repair cost was inflated to maximize payment from the insurance company, I'm sure. But the repair required a single harness replacement with connections all over the engine bay.

I guess my point is, it's definitely fixable if you get the right pin size to fit in the factory connector. Good luck, I know I learned a lot about building connectors. It's not difficult with the right equipment, and just as important, the space to make the connections.

COJeeper

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLUR, '23 Donkey because gas is too expensive
Clubs

Those white clips are only $1.60 at the dealer. All those black ones though, theyā€™re $6.00!!!! :facepalm:

X-Treme

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Xtreme Recon
Occupation
Happily Retired
So I was trying to install the mopar Aux kit wiring harness.

All looks good. Coat hanger poked through.

Tried to pull the wires through.. one of the single wires that have the butt connector terminals ripped off. Crap. Maybe that part is fixeabke if I can find a new terminal connector or be able to open the old one and reinstall onto the wire. The least of my worries.

Well I knicked a wire inside the passenger side grommet and cut another wire in there. Double and triple crap!

I then removed the passenger fender and fender liner to get a better view and broke every white clip (I have extras, and broke a bunch of the black plastic push clips. Need to buy some)

Iā€™m not mechanically inclined enough to figure out how to get to the harness, open it up and repair the wires.

This is going to be expensive at the dealer.

Currently check engine light one. Parksense not available. Sway bar disconnect malfunction, service 4wd lights are all on
Well, my husband was installing a gmrs radio into my jeep and whilst running the wire across the roll bar he clipped the power wire when putting a bolt in.i had all of the same lights come on and numerous other things. Could not figure it out and thought that this was going to be another expensive fix at the dealer (dont ask about the other time this happened!). Got my son in law to go back over the install at every step and he discovered my husband had clipped this wire with the bolt. He removed the bolt and repaired the wire. Voila! Everything was working again. It could have been expensive to take it to the dealer so was glad we could figure it out. My husband advises you to check your main power wire for a short or complete break. I only speak from my experience as your light display is exactly as mine was after the power wire was clipped,. Hope you can figure it out.

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
So this kinda happened to me- was running wires throught he passenger side firewall grommet to run my ARB Twin knock off compressor. Long story short: The dealer was of no help, refused to fix it (even if I paid, because this was 50% known issue, 50% me based on what my Jeep Tech friend told me that he's seen at work). Had to get another shop to do the repair. The CANBUS wiring harness are super thin and run very tight against the sub frame/ HVAC or something. Cost me $600.

CaJLMetalHead

First Name
CAJLMetalHead
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited
So I was trying to install the mopar Aux kit wiring harness.

All looks good. Coat hanger poked through.

Tried to pull the wires through.. one of the single wires that have the butt connector terminals ripped off. Crap. Maybe that part is fixeabke if I can find a new terminal connector or be able to open the old one and reinstall onto the wire. The least of my worries.

Well I knicked a wire inside the passenger side grommet and cut another wire in there. Double and triple crap!

I then removed the passenger fender and fender liner to get a better view and broke every white clip (I have extras, and broke a bunch of the black plastic push clips. Need to buy some)

Iā€™m not mechanically inclined enough to figure out how to get to the harness, open it up and repair the wires.

This is going to be expensive at the dealer.

Currently check engine light one. Parksense not available. Sway bar disconnect malfunction, service 4wd lights are all on
Damn. That sucks.. send pics of the carnage...

Btw. Where are you located in Norcal ? I also live in Norcal

Sponsored

OP
OP
Caliguy

Caliguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon JLU
Damn. That sucks.. send pics of the carnage...

Btw. Where are you located in Norcal ? I also live in Norcal
Sonoma county.. so far everything is torn apart and about to remove the battery tray which is the last part before I get access to the firewall from the top side

OP
OP
Caliguy

Caliguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon JLU
God now I canā€™t find the two wires I damaged

OP
OP
Caliguy

Caliguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon JLU
Iā€™m questioning if I even broke a wire or not now. I wonder if the broken wire I saw was the one I was trying to pull through. Iā€™d imagine I wouldā€™ve been able to see a completely severed wire

CaJLMetalHead

First Name
CAJLMetalHead
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited
Iā€™m questioning if I even broke a wire or not now. I wonder if the broken wire I saw was the one I was trying to pull through. Iā€™d imagine I wouldā€™ve been able to see a completely severed wire
That boot is quite thick. If you are experiencing all those problems then you most likely damaged some wires while punturing the boot.. here is a thread about it

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...-grommet-to-get-wires-through-firewall.41004/

Where in sonoma? I live in Vallejo.. I could try to stop by and help you..unfortunately i am on-call this week.
Sponsored