Sponsored

I screwed up real real bad . Passenger side firewall disaster

Caliguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon JLU
So I was trying to install the mopar Aux kit wiring harness.

All looks good. Coat hanger poked through.

Tried to pull the wires through.. one of the single wires that have the butt connector terminals ripped off. Crap. Maybe that part is fixeabke if I can find a new terminal connector or be able to open the old one and reinstall onto the wire. The least of my worries.

Well I knicked a wire inside the passenger side grommet and cut another wire in there. Double and triple crap!

I then removed the passenger fender and fender liner to get a better view and broke every white clip (I have extras, and broke a bunch of the black plastic push clips. Need to buy some)

I’m not mechanically inclined enough to figure out how to get to the harness, open it up and repair the wires.

This is going to be expensive at the dealer.

Currently check engine light one. Parksense not available. Sway bar disconnect malfunction, service 4wd lights are all on
Sponsored

Last edited:

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
Not totally familiar with the grommet you’re talking about, but it sounds like your easiest, but not necessarily easy option is to remove the fuse block, battery and aux battery to gain access. If that doesn’t do it, the ugliness gets worse.

BullMoose1776

First Name
Bull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
I AM familiar with the passenger side wiring harness, and YES, removal of the batteries and fuse panel is absolutely your best bet to accessing that giant mass of wires.

I'd say, if you aren't electrically inclined, and haven't done much wiring, either you're about to become an expert, or shell out some dough to someone who IS an expert.

All kidding aside, if you aren't comfortable removing the entire fuse panel and two batteries you should not do it, because it's a simple task compared to repairing the main wiring loom of the vehicle.

Keep us informed. And Good Luck!

OP
OP
Caliguy

Caliguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon JLU
I AM familiar with the passenger side wiring harness, and YES, removal of the batteries and fuse panel is absolutely your best bet to accessing that giant mass of wires.

I'd say, if you aren't electrically inclined, and haven't done much wiring, either you're about to become an expert, or shell out some dough to someone who IS an expert.

All kidding aside, if you aren't comfortable removing the entire fuse panel and two batteries you should not do it, because it's a simple task compared to repairing the main wiring loom of the vehicle.

Keep us informed. And Good Luck!
I know how to connect wires etc. in just not good with disassembly of all the electrical components but after watching the genesis battery install video. I may try to tackle this tomorrow

Punknhed

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Punkin Rubi XR
make sure you mark where everything goes, and make sure to hook the aux battery up right..... i learned the hard way : (

Sponsored

BullMoose1776

First Name
Bull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
May need to double check that you have not popped any fuses. If you shorted those wires, you may have popped a fuse.

Ideally you (or your electrical guru) can repair/replace those wires and you'll be ok.

Meticulously follow that video, and then diagnose your issue.

Each of those wires coming into the fuse panel has a tiny number stamped on the corner, so double check that ahead of time, so you can see which ones go back and in what order.

If they do not, market each one as 1-N so you can reassemble correctly.

Once you get into that wiring harness go easy and be careful.

BullMoose1776

First Name
Bull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
Shoot and share some pics so we can properly commiserate.

BullMoose1776

First Name
Bull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
Just to be safe, park that jeep outside tonight. You don't want to be in the garage if there's a short.

OP
OP
Caliguy

Caliguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon JLU
Ugh I’m not looking forward to tomorrow.

I also need to find a new one of these little guys

11435CDE-C963-4D63-8813-15CC68CFE5C8.jpeg

Sponsored

OP
OP
Caliguy

Caliguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon JLU
make sure you mark where everything goes, and make sure to hook the aux battery up right..... i learned the hard way : (
I don’t have an Aux battery, I have the etorque

XtremeRetard

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURXR
Build Thread
Link
In which case disconnect the battery while its unattended..

1996cc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
Look up my post about this. It’s an ugly scene, lol. I did the same and had to fix. Not impossible though…

efreyman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
That’s a molex connector you broke. Although I was able to get the bundle through the firewall, I broke it trying to connect the orange wire.