zeebo56

First Name
Zee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler unlimited sport
Vehicle Showcase
There are 42,000 miles on these Copper STT Pro tires. I will get 50,000 out of them easily.
1612708455343.png

One of the big problems with the Pats, are they are a crowned tire when ran it their recommend psi. The contact patch is small as they primary run on the center lug. If you run them in a lower psi so that you have a better contact patch on the street, they will wear and cup bad. That is not the case with many other better tires.

Just for simple math, the cost of two set of Pats + mounting is way more that a better quality tire that last twice as long. Also when running a better tire, you will also get to enjoy a better tire and there is value in that.

In the end of the day, it is your money and you, like I get to spend it how we please. Thank Jeep for your traction control, anti lock brakes and stability control. After all that is what make the Pats a good tire......... Because if they are on a vehicle with out traction control, anti lock brakes or stability control, like they are on my SBXJ, you would not be impressed with their performance.
Actually I'll give you that one and thanks for the info.

I guess before the jeep I also had another car that never had tires last long but maybe because I was cheaping out on them as well.

I know you do a lot of cool trips and that tread is pretty good for 40k+ miles
Sponsored

Hound Dog

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon, 2002 TJ Rustomatic
Sell the 18 rims while they are still new and get 17s. Then decide on your wide range of tires to choose from.

Believe me. You now own a jeep. You will need to get used to pissing money away.

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

There are 42,000 miles on these Copper STT Pro tires. I will get 50,000 out of them easily.
1612708455343.png

One of the big problems with the Pats, are they are a crowned tire when ran it their recommend psi. The contact patch is small as they primary run on the center lug. If you run them in a lower psi so that you have a better contact patch on the street, they will wear and cup bad. That is not the case with many other better tires.

Just for simple math, the cost of two set of Pats + mounting is way more that a better quality tire that last twice as long. Also when running a better tire, you will also get to enjoy a better tire and there is value in that.

In the end of the day, it is your money and you, like I get to spend it how we please. Thank Jeep for your traction control, anti lock brakes and stability control. After all that is what make the Pats a good tire......... Because if they are on a vehicle with out traction control, anti lock brakes or stability control, like they are on my SBXJ, you would not be impressed with their performance.
How are those STT shoes in snow and on ice? I'm tempted to look at them when I swap my rims out, but they aren't snowflake rated and (usually in non-pandemic times) I'm running between Toronto and Holland, MI every couple of weeks. This includes doing winter snowstorms. I'm reluctant to swap out of KO2s that have been on my rigs for nearly a decade because they handle snow well.

Keith C

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
High School Athletic Director/ Track Timer
Actually I forgot, last week there was snow up at Rowher when we went on the trail. I was perfectly ok with how they performed. Another guy and I did better with the patagonias in the snow than others.

I haven't had any issues with them at all. I paid under $1k for a set of 5. I am sure ones you would recommend would be around $1500 for 5 which is 50% increase in price. So 30k miles I would be happy. I haven't compared other tires on my Jeep but I don't see how other tires would really perform THAT different to where I would be like "wow, glad I paid the extra for these". I also have a tough time believing people get 50k+ miles out of other tires reliably without running them bald.
I was on that run and have 35" Ridge Grapplers on 18" wheels (on the Jeep when I bought it). I can attest that the RGs are not great in the snow. I have had no problems with the rocks though, here in SoCal.
I am looking to move to 37s and will probably have to get a full set of 17" wheels plus 5 new tires when the RGs wear out. Hopefully that is not too soon! Not much snow here in SoCal (except for in the mountains for a couple of months) so that is not a priority for me. I want to go to Moab and do the Rubicon Trail so I think 37's would be better which probably means 17" wheels too.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
How are those STT shoes in snow and on ice? I'm tempted to look at them when I swap my rims out, but they aren't snowflake rated and (usually in non-pandemic times) I'm running between Toronto and Holland, MI every couple of weeks. This includes doing winter snowstorms. I'm reluctant to swap out of KO2s that have been on my rigs for nearly a decade because they handle snow well.
The STT PROs are a M/T meaning they are just ok and will work in the snow. I do wheel in the snow a lot. I snow wheeled three of the four weekends in January. If your main concern is Winter travel, I would say that the KO2 are better for that. We run KO2 on our f250 plow trucks and they work great in the snow. I have spent many hours on shit roads out plowing snow and driving all over the place from place to place plowing snow before the county and city trucks have plowed. The KO2 work great at that. Mind you, I have used my Rubicon to get to the shop on the same roads with out issue, but hey I drive on shitty roads just about every time we get snow. I wheel all over the US, so my tire focus is more geared to off road performance, longevity and durability to punctures. The STT PRO tires excel at those things. They work well on the rocks in Moab, the Rubicon trail, the mud at Windrock, and the sand at the Silver Lake Sand dunes. We have 5 JLURs and one Gladiator that are running the STT PRO tires and we have all wheeled all over the place in all kinds of conditions with zero flats and zero issues. We are getting close to a combined 200,000 miles on the Cooper STT Pro tires.

Just think, people are buying Pats and getting 25,000 miles on them on average. Just try and find 5 or six pics of the Pats with 30,000 miles on them and you will be searching long and far. In July, I had 23,000 miles on my JLUR. at the beginning of December, I had 41,000 miles on it from all the Jeep travel. For my use, the Pats would almost be worn out and certainly cupped badly from running them aired down so much. After all, I am not going to rotate them in the middle of a 5000+ mile trip on the side of the trail or road.
Sponsored