I removed the JL Wrangler Sport "Euro" Close Out Cover Bumper Pieces

TIDALWAVE

First Name
CHUCK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible, 2013 CHEVY SILVERADO, 2018 JLUR
As soon as I get my Rubi I am going to pack the electric sockets full of dielectric grease.
Sponsored

TPFilm1994

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Sport S
So the plot thickens.

Fog lights exposed on Sport bumpers but enclosed on Sahara bumper. Also exposed on Rubi steel bumpers.

Do the Sport/Sahara/Rubi all share the same plastic bumper other than cosmetic trim?
In my opinion, the Sport front bumper looks better than the Sahara front bumper. Actually looks more rugged, like a plastic version of the metal bumper on the 2017/18 JK Freedom Edition.

OP
OP
mquinn13

mquinn13

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler
I am waiting for my Sport S delivery and now I'm wondering (since I plan on putting the Mopar Rubi fender flares on it in order to accommodate larger tires)...won't these things have to be removed--and not fit back on--with the higher fender flares?
This are attached to the stock Sport bumper not the fender, earlier someone posted their photo of the Rubi steel bumper if you would like to take a look
I took these pictures at a dealer today on a JLU Sahara with the plastic bumpers. Who will be the first to figure out what it takes to order these plastic rear fill pieces and install them to close it up more?

E098F2C3-C3AE-49AB-AD33-00130DB816F3.jpeg

96D2921F-1278-432C-AE38-79DBB25F4127.jpeg
intresting! I will say approaching the car there is a large gap so I’m not worried about the exposed wires but really the look of it.

zodleviton

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
...still waiting
Hey MQUINN,

Thanks for posting. I'm super new to the Jeep world. I ordered my first Sport last week and looking forward to playing with it like a Lego.
I'm also all thumbs, so if anyone else is going to do this, can you take photos of your progress as you do the work? I read MQUINN's explanation of the screws and hex nuts, and maybe it would make more sense when I get a chance to look at the bumper, but it might help me to see what exactly you are doing.

Thanks

Sponsored

JD Flick

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Algorithmic Trading Strategies
It took me a while to figure out what was going on here, until I went and looked at photos of the Sport on the Jeep website.

I have to be honest... I never noticed those pieces were there until this thread! I'm a dummy.

JLMOPARMAN

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKU Rubicon
I took these pictures at a dealer today on a JLU Sahara with the plastic bumpers. Who will be the first to figure out what it takes to order these plastic rear fill pieces and install them to close it up more?

E098F2C3-C3AE-49AB-AD33-00130DB816F3.jpeg

96D2921F-1278-432C-AE38-79DBB25F4127.jpeg
The Sahara filler panels are:

6KL10RXFAA RIGHT
6KL11RXFAA LEFT

No idea if they actually fit the sport bumper though.

WaltA

First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Rubicon X, 2003 Mustang GT, 2003 MINI Cooper
96872AB1-28D3-4B76-AEA0-5536BA0A2B55.jpeg 0BE7BEBB-431D-4F58-81F9-2A999544A88A.jpeg
There are 2: one next to the covered usb/ aux ports on the dash and one in the cargo area.
The 12v outlet that was in the console on the JK's, is now gone on the JL?

OP
OP
mquinn13

mquinn13

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler
Hey MQUINN,

Thanks for posting. I'm super new to the Jeep world. I ordered my first Sport last week and looking forward to playing with it like a Lego.
I'm also all thumbs, so if anyone else is going to do this, can you take photos of your progress as you do the work? I read MQUINN's explanation of the screws and hex nuts, and maybe it would make more sense when I get a chance to look at the bumper, but it might help me to see what exactly you are doing.

Thanks
Hello Michael!

Well welcome! I am also new this is my first Jeep ever! I wish I would have documented the work but I can take photos of the screw holes and locations it was pretty self explanatory, I just did not have the tools as I just moved to California. I would recommend having a 1/8 hex key (short in size or right angle because one screw is really tight space, and a socket kit (imperial not metric), there is one screw which is a socket. Then there is only one pull pin you have to remove and reinstall. I promise ill post photos tonight I have been really busy this week and I apologize !

TPFilm1994

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Sport S
The 12v outlet that was in the console on the JK's, is now gone on the JL?
You know what? I forgot to look. I only noticed the USB connection in the console storage. Speaking of the console storage: the latches are more intuitive now: top latch opens top cover, bottom latch opens deeper storage. Can’t tell you how many times since 2011 I’ve opened the top cover when trying to open the deep storage, and vice versa. Sometimes repeatedly on the same attempt. :angry:

Sponsored

TPFilm1994

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Sport S
0994728D-C80D-475D-96C9-7B43E9425253.jpeg 41C9F287-63A3-46AD-8BC4-C290F53D2D9A.jpeg View attachment 10071
First photo: right front.
Second photo: from behind right front, top of right tire in bottom left of photo, fender flare in upper right, filler in middle of photo.

Looks like the filler serves 2 purposes: aerodynamics (I guess?) and covers the back of the fog lights.

Hello Michael!

Well welcome! I am also new this is my first Jeep ever! I wish I would have documented the work but I can take photos of the screw holes and locations it was pretty self explanatory, I just did not have the tools as I just moved to California. I would recommend having a 1/8 hex key (short in size or right angle because one screw is really tight space, and a socket kit (imperial not metric), there is one screw which is a socket. Then there is only one pull pin you have to remove and reinstall. I promise ill post photos tonight I have been really busy this week and I apologize !

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0

sandtrooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Jeep Wrangler JK Sport S 2-door
Hello!

During launch I read about the sport bumper/fender connection pieces and how FCA confirmed they were removable. I received my JL yesterday and I would be lying if I told you I didn't lose sleep over the thought of those ugly things. Today I was able to remove them, what do you all think? Do you think these connections should not be exposed to the elements? The bumpers were tightly connected threw 6 screws on each side but I would assume water would make it in especially at the recommended water height of 30" from the tailgate plate. What are you thoughts?

IMG_4111.JPG

IMG_1593.JPG

IMG_4812.JPG
I can’t find the references but why do they call is “European” style bumper when those pieces are still installed? Sorry if that’s a dumb question

OP
OP
mquinn13

mquinn13

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler
I can’t find the references but why do they call is “European” style bumper when those pieces are still installed? Sorry if that’s a dumb question
It’s not as common now that cars are so cookie cutter and globalized but it’s my understanding that it goes back to the 60-70s style euro cars like BMWs where the bumper would wrap around to the fenders for a sporty look vs America who which had muscle cars with huge flat steel bumpers I could be wrong

AlexK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ
The above might be true, to be honest I'd not heard that before.

However, certainly as far as the Wrangler is concerned, it's because here in Europe the Wrangler gets fitted with an extra piece to fill in the gap above the bumper, to comply with some regulation or other. It started with the TJ, which was forced to leave the factory wearing a hideous pair of 'snowploughs' (as we called them), that any self-respecting Jeeper ripped off the minute they got home. With the JL, we're expecting European models to get a similar monstrosity on top of a larger bumper, but it seems Jeep have decided to wound the US-spec Sport model in a similar fashion - not sure why.

Exhibit 1: hideous UK-spec snowploughs on a poor, unsuspecting TJ:

tj.jpg

joem

First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 j/k
could these covers possibly be cut with a utility knife slightly below where they extend above the bumper and consequently be converted to just being covers as on the sahara bumper
Sponsored