mquinn13

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler
Hello!

During launch I read about the sport bumper/fender connection pieces and how FCA confirmed they were removable. I received my JL yesterday and I would be lying if I told you I didn't lose sleep over the thought of those ugly things. Today I was able to remove them, what do you all think? Do you think these connections should not be exposed to the elements? The bumpers were tightly connected threw 6 screws on each side but I would assume water would make it in especially at the recommended water height of 30" from the tailgate plate. What are you thoughts?

IMG_4111.JPG

IMG_1593.JPG

IMG_4812.JPG
Sponsored

iflyimpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Volkswagen Tiguan 2.0T, JLU Sport S
Wow! Thanks for putting up these pics -- I've been wondering about how difficult/not difficult the bumper-fender fillers would be to remove. You do bring up a good point about water getting into the connections. Are the backs of the fog lights literally exposed like in photo #2 and #3? No rubber seal of any kind? I have to ask, did the fillers serve as a cover for the connections?

OP
OP
mquinn13

mquinn13

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler
Wow! Thanks for putting up these pics -- I've been wondering about how difficult/not difficult the bumper-fender fillers would be to remove. You do bring up a good point about water getting into the connections. Are the backs of the fog lights literally exposed like in photo #2 and #3? No rubber seal of any kind? I have to ask, did the fillers serve as a cover for the connections?
You’re welcome! I will say it was pretty difficult tight spaces with a 1/8 hex key and one bolt required a socket. Yes they are exposed I am curious to see the Sarah or Rubicon to see what the back looks like on those. The plastic was tight together but no rubber gasket so I can’t image that I was water proofed in anyway. They did cover the connections but it seems like there was plenty of similar connections exposed before I removed those pieces. Let me know if you have anymore questions on the JL!

Wolfslash16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 JKU Firecracker Recon.
Thanks for sharing! I also just noticed how exposed the fog lights are from behind; are they that far open in person?

Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Hello!

During launch I read about the sport bumper/fender connection pieces and how FCA confirmed they were removable. I received my JL yesterday and I would be lying if I told you I didn't lose sleep over the thought of those ugly things. Today I was able to remove them, what do you all think? Do you think these connections should not be exposed to the elements? The bumpers were tightly connected threw 6 screws on each side but I would assume water would make it in especially at the recommended water height of 30" from the tailgate plate. What are you thoughts?

IMG_4111.JPG

IMG_1593.JPG

IMG_4812.JPG
Congratulations! You should post some pics in the Show and Tell Thread.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Yes they are exposed I am curious to see the Sarah or Rubicon to see what the back looks like on those.
Excellent point. Maybe someone here can take a picture of the saraha or rubi halogen fog lights to see if the connector is as exposed as your Sport or take a trip to the dealer to confirm to put your mind at ease.

Armycop

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Wrangler, 2010 Camaro SS, 2017 Passat R-Line
My aftermarket LOD front bumper had the factory foglight cutouts and nothing to cover the connection. I wouldn't worry about it being exposed. If you are stressed about it shrink wrap it or use electrical tape to cover the connection. Post some before and after pics please!

Matt The Hammer

First Name
Fake Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR and YJ
Occupation
Engineer
My aftermarket LOD front bumper had the factory foglight cutouts and nothing to cover the connection. I wouldn't worry about it being exposed. If you are stressed about it shrink wrap it or use electrical tape to cover the connection. Post some before and after pics please!
Ever try changing fog light bulbs on a JK rubicon? The passenger side is impossible with the sway bar motor there. So this is a huge improvement.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
Those look like high end Deutch connectors. I wouldn't worry. At all.

Sponsored

BoisetheCat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CR-V
You’re welcome! I will say it was pretty difficult tight spaces with a 1/8 hex key and one bolt required a socket. Yes they are exposed I am curious to see the Sarah or Rubicon to see what the back looks like on those. The plastic was tight together but no rubber gasket so I can’t image that I was water proofed in anyway. They did cover the connections but it seems like there was plenty of similar connections exposed before I removed those pieces. Let me know if you have anymore questions on the JL!
So jealous! question, how many 12v do you have in the sport? care to post lots of pics!

Redneck_Jedi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 Dr.
Vehicle Showcase
It appears that the fog light plugs are also exposed on the JLUR with the factory steel bumpers.

This Pic courtesy of Dynomite1371, and his beautiful new Rubicon! :)
20180116_200836-jpg.jpg

Last edited:

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Honestly when I get my Sport S those things are coming off I don't care what's exposed.

OP
OP
mquinn13

mquinn13

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler
So jealous! question, how many 12v do you have in the sport? care to post lots of pics!
Are you speaking about the interior 12V? After work today I can take some more photos and share.
Sponsored