Sponsored

I never drive my Jeep…and I’m ok with it!

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
Oil can sit in a can on the shelf for years and not go bad, why would it suddenly go bad sitting in an oil pan?
The theory is that the oil in the can (you buy oil in cans?) is not exposed to air so it can't oxidize. The oil in the oil pan is exposed to oxygen and can oxidize. I don't know how true this was a long time ago or how true it is now. I seem to remember that at one point in time the recommendation was every 6 months.
I don't pay that much attention to time. My Jeep gets enough miles that it gets frequent oil changes. My Cadillac used to but with me not driving to work every day now it doesn't. My wife's car barely gets a few thousand miles a year and probably needs an oil change.
Sponsored

skiptheroad

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKUR 2017 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Occupation
Astronaut
Yes, change the oil at least once per year even if you put VERY low miles on it. Oil is hydroscopic and will pick up moisture over time. You change it at least once a year for that reason.

I change every 5k mile or one year whichever is first...
Are you sure that oil is hydroscopic?
I was taught in 7th grade science class that oIl and water do not mix.

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
The theory is that the oil in the can (you buy oil in cans?) is not exposed to air so it can't oxidize. The oil in the oil pan is exposed to oxygen and can oxidize. I don't know how true this was a long time ago or how true it is now. I seem to remember that at one point in time the recommendation was every 6 months.
I don't pay that much attention to time. My Jeep gets enough miles that it gets frequent oil changes. My Cadillac used to but with me not driving to work every day now it doesn't. My wife's car barely gets a few thousand miles a year and probably needs an oil change.
Oil is oil, there is air in the can/container just like there is air in the engine compartment. And yes, you can buy oil in cans, you don't think dealerships buy oil in plastic quart containers do you? Nope, it comes out of a truck and is stored in metal or plastic barrels at the dealership.

Regardless, like someone else pointed out, oil has been sitting under the earth since the flood, or before. Leaving it in your oil pan for a year or two, depending on your mileage, is not going to affect anything.

gsbrockman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack Plus A8 & F8 Green
Occupation
Owner / Operator Brockman Hauling, LLC
Vehicle Showcase
Oil is oil, there is air in the can/container just like there is air in the engine compartment. And yes, you can buy oil in cans, you don't think dealerships buy oil in plastic quart containers do you? Nope, it comes out of a truck and is stored in metal or plastic barrels at the dealership.

Regardless, like someone else pointed out, oil has been sitting under the earth since the flood, or before. Leaving it in your oil pan for a year or two, depending on your mileage, is not going to affect anything.
Most likely bulk oil from a truck pumped into 275 gallon or 330 gallon totes....
BxhxfmrPDjctJTFwKChWNOt0ZDGre8u8__56949.1658354373.jpg

Fudster

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
Purchased in February, delivered in March. Probably won’t have 5000 miles in a year, maybe 2. Dealer recommends an oil change this month but I only have about 850 miles on it. Suggestions?
Put the vehicle on a trickle charger when parked. If it's a dual battery model (e.g. 3.6L), attaching the trickle charger leads to the main battery will trickle charge both the main and aux batteries.

The wall outlet plug connection point or under the hood bracing of the trickle charger need not be this fancy, but this is a nice guide:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...arger-mount-inlet-install-lots-of-pics.44466/

Sponsored

Archeonomy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vanderhall
I have 3000 miles on mine after about a year and a half. Just tooling around, which is why I bought it.

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
Damn...I didn't know you could do this! I always buy my own oil and filter, but will definitely check it out. Many thanks for the tip!
Unfortunately, after checking with three local Jeep dealerships, none would give me the oil and filter after all. All had essentially the same justification...need to ensure the oil and filter go in/on the specific vehicle that is enrolled in the Jeep Wave program.

Too good to be true, at least in my area. Off to Wal-Mart for a jug of Pennzoil!

devnull

First Name
Darth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Grand Sport
Occupation
Scientific Negotiator
Agree with this, but was just curious if oil absorbs moisture while stored in its original, unopened jug. Maybe it's a dumb question, but oil jugs aren't necessarily airtight and I have several that have been sitting on the shelf for over a year. Just makes me wonder, since we're on the subject...
It doesn't because the container is sealed and moisture proof. The engine is not and does vent in (and out) quite a bit more than you would think with today's modern EGR, vapor, and intake systems.

(sorry, was out for a bit lol)

devnull

First Name
Darth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Grand Sport
Occupation
Scientific Negotiator
Unfortunately, after checking with three local Jeep dealerships, none would give me the oil and filter after all. All had essentially the same justification...need to ensure the oil and filter go in/on the specific vehicle that is enrolled in the Jeep Wave program.

Too good to be true, at least in my area. Off to Wal-Mart for a jug of Pennzoil!
I have only asked the dealer I bought the Jeep from, and usually right away. Some dealers are awesome, some are ok-ish, and some suck!

devnull

First Name
Darth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Grand Sport
Occupation
Scientific Negotiator
Ummm, I don't think that is true actually... Heat & usage may possibly degrade it, but time won't... Oil can sit in a can on the shelf for years and not go bad, why would it suddenly go bad sitting in an oil pan?

The 5,000 mile oil change myth is mainly just that for 90%+ of car owners... Yes, it can get dirty, and yes, it should be changed periodically, but today's engines aren't the same as years gone by. But the whole notion of 5,000 mile intervals is just to sell more oil. I still do it, but I don't panic if I go past the 5,000 mile mark, especially since I use Full Synthetic extended life oil and matching filer. I just do it to make my warranty company happy.
Disagree bud. Oil is hydroscopic and will collect water 'sitting in the pan'. It will not in on the shelf because those are sealed containers. In the ground oil is not refined or purified and is FULL of water (I would not put that in my engine). Oil trucks are vacuum controlled. Finally, the oil in the dealership container gets used, FAST. If it sat there open for a year I wouldn't want it in my engine either.

5k oil changes are cheaper than the wear difference. Is it mandatory? no, but sure is good practice. I am with you on the lack of panic from going over a little though.

I also like the 5k interval because I am crazy and lazy. My oil change intervals are easy to track and I don't write them down.

First change at 1,000 miles
then at 5k, 10k, 15,k, and so on. very easy from there.

Sponsored

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
I’m not at all certain that letting a vehicle sit for extended periods of time is a good thing-esp if when it does get drive it only very short hops. Engines need to reach and stay at operating temp for a while to stay healthy. Come on gang, get out there and Drive that Jeep👍 Oh, and Change the oil-you are going to get condensation in there if you don’t get ‘er nice and warm.

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019, 2 door Sport S, Mojito!
Even if you don5 drive much oil degrades so do oil change as per the manual

Valpo Jeep

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mas Ghibli, 18 JLU, 05 Gulfstream RV

Punkn89

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
In conclusion - Anyone who tells you not to get an oil change at least once a year is setting you up for failure.
Sponsored