Sponsored

I never drive my Jeep…and I’m ok with it!

JayCeeX2

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S, 2014 4Runner Limited
I have a 2020 that I bought in August of 2020 and I just hit 5k miles. Most of my driving is local, to the beach, trips back and forth to school for daughters etc. I did take the Jeep on first road trip to Key West last month and by far the longest it's been driven. (nearly 4 hours each way, btw with amazing MPG) I do try to drive at least once of week, usually its more tho, especially now that school is back in session.

My problem is I have two vehicles and I work from home. I have for long time before covid. My 2014 has 35k miles on it. Both are garage kept.

I change the oil in both about every 10 months. Both serviced by dealer. I was super skeptical about Jeep wave oil change at the dealer but I've had mine done twice at Hollywood Jeep dealer just a few miles from me and both times it was the same tech. He was older, closer to my age, was very methodical. While waiting I'm in plain view of what he's doing, confirms oil and amount of oil, shows me what came out etc. As long as he's there, I will probably have them do my next one. I've already done my two free Jeep wave oil changes.
Sponsored

4Runfun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2022 Rubicon
The first oil change should be done earlier than the following ones to flush anything that the break-in could have dislodged.

after that, just do like me and do a yearly oil change. Mine is an early 2018 and I have 14000 miles.
Following this advice. Got mine in May but only have 1800 miles on it so far. Will change oil at 2500 since it's the first and then follow routine maint advice

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
Purchased in February, delivered in March. Probably won’t have 5000 miles in a year, maybe 2. Dealer recommends an oil change this month but I only have about 850 miles on it. Suggestions?
I got mine 3 and half years ago and just turned 10k miles.

Hennessey17

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport
I drive about 1k miles a month. I do one oil change in spring and another one in fall.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I like the old school look. Can you share the details of wheels and tires? Thx.
Thanks!

Sure:
  • White Quadratec CJ Retro alloy wheels
  • Retro Jeep center cap decals by PixelDecals
  • General Grabber ATX 35x12.5 tires
  • YJ-style retro “Sahara” fender decals found on eBay
  • Mopar lift

Sponsored

gsbrockman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys XR in Hydro Blue
Occupation
Owner / Operator Brockman Hauling, LLC
Vehicle Showcase

TheNewGuy

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 door
The Jeep doesn't have an oil life indicator?. I assumed you had to hit whatever the computer's requirement was before they'd perform the free oil change.
So is it up to me when I want the oil changed then? (For my free Jeep oil change and rotation). There's really no oil life indicator on the wrangler? Also, is there a tie pressure sensor on the spare, and how does that work when your rotate it into service?
There is an oil life indicator in the EVIC menu. Scroll thru the screens with the buttons on the left side of the steering wheel.
I took mine in for its first oil change at 4600 miles and they didn't say a word. You get 3 free I don't think they care when you take them. The dealership gets paid no matter.

No IFS

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
I have a 2019 wrangler purchased November 2018 and it just hit 8K miles.

Saddle Tramp

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 3.0 Turbo Diesel
I have a 2021 purchased in June of 21 and am about ti hit 30K. Just love driving it that much. I try to split my driving between my truck and the Jeep but the Jeep always wins

Cutterone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara Sarge 6sp
I've put 21k on my '21 bought in may '21, but now have a GC to drive as a 3rd vehicle/winter runner, so my Sarge is going to get some rest, probably only drive her 1-2 days a week, more in summer obviously. With a spare vehicle, looking at tube doors for summer so the Wrangler can stay in garage stripped down and only driven with no threat of rain...

Sponsored

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, change the oil - whether you drive it or not, oil degrades. Make sure you’re still starting the Jeep and taking it around the neighborhood once a week.
Ummm, I don't think that is true actually... Heat & usage may possibly degrade it, but time won't... Oil can sit in a can on the shelf for years and not go bad, why would it suddenly go bad sitting in an oil pan?

The 5,000 mile oil change myth is mainly just that for 90%+ of car owners... Yes, it can get dirty, and yes, it should be changed periodically, but today's engines aren't the same as years gone by. But the whole notion of 5,000 mile intervals is just to sell more oil. I still do it, but I don't panic if I go past the 5,000 mile mark, especially since I use Full Synthetic extended life oil and matching filer. I just do it to make my warranty company happy.

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
The oil life "indicator" (which is basically a timer) is here...

Go to Speedometer Screen,
Press Down Arrow Once
Press Right Arrow until you see "Engine Oil Life" (or worded something like that).

jlcalifornia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
Purchased in February, delivered in March. Probably won’t have 5000 miles in a year, maybe 2. Dealer recommends an oil change this month but I only have about 850 miles on it. Suggestions?
I wouldn't wait for that first oil change.

PhoenixM3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GR86, 2023 Wrangler JLURD
You have more problems than an oil change, you need some excuses or opportunities to get that thing out and drive it. My Jeep sets in the driveway almost every day not getting driven. Every 7-10 days I'll drive it to work or to the store just so it gets driven. Partly this is because of covid. But it picks up at least 10,000 miles a year, 99% of which is driving to and from Utah or Colorado to do trails.

Oil change recommendations are usually every so many miles or every so many months, whichever comes first.
Saw the CTS V in your sig block and have to ask about it..... Which year?

Punkn89

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Ummm, I don't think that is true actually... Heat & usage may possibly degrade it, but time won't... Oil can sit in a can on the shelf for years and not go bad, why would it suddenly go bad sitting in an oil pan?

The 5,000 mile oil change myth is mainly just that for 90%+ of car owners... Yes, it can get dirty, and yes, it should be changed periodically, but today's engines aren't the same as years gone by. But the whole notion of 5,000 mile intervals is just to sell more oil. I still do it, but I don't panic if I go past the 5,000 mile mark, especially since I use Full Synthetic extended life oil and matching filer. I just do it to make my warranty company happy.

That's what I've been taught 🤷‍♂️, it's the life blood of the vehicle, why risk not doing it, especially when it's so easy to do yourself and inexpensive. Could also depend on the environment to which the Jeep is sitting.

An oil change has been something I've been doing every year since I could drive. I don't know why people question it in the first place, it's all a part of car ownership.
Sponsored