Sponsored

I never drive my Jeep…and I’m ok with it!

[DELETED USER 82058]

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon 2-Door
Purchased in February, delivered in March. Probably won’t have 5000 miles in a year, maybe 2. Dealer recommends an oil change this month but I only have about 850 miles on it. Suggestions?
Sponsored

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
The first oil change should be done earlier than the following ones to flush anything that the break-in could have dislodged.

after that, just do like me and do a yearly oil change. Mine is an early 2018 and I have 14000 miles.

Punkn89

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Yes, change the oil - whether you drive it or not, oil degrades. Make sure you’re still starting the Jeep and taking it around the neighborhood once every now and then.

***per other have noted, when you drive it, make sure the oil gets hot to burn off the water/moisture.

Last edited:

Sponsored

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
Probably won’t have 5000 miles in a year, maybe 2.
You have more problems than an oil change, you need some excuses or opportunities to get that thing out and drive it. My Jeep sets in the driveway almost every day not getting driven. Every 7-10 days I'll drive it to work or to the store just so it gets driven. Partly this is because of covid. But it picks up at least 10,000 miles a year, 99% of which is driving to and from Utah or Colorado to do trails.

Oil change recommendations are usually every so many miles or every so many months, whichever comes first.

devnull

First Name
Darth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Grand Sport
Occupation
Scientific Negotiator
Yes, change the oil at least once per year even if you put VERY low miles on it. Oil is hydroscopic and will pick up moisture over time. You change it at least once a year for that reason.

I change every 5k mile or one year whichever is first...

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
My story is like most others already posted in this thread, and I have only put 6K miles on my JL during 1-1/2 years of ownership. However, changing oil at least once a year is a must. So easy to do, I never risk taking it to the dealer (even if it's free), and just do it myself. Enjoy and happy Jeepin'!

devnull

First Name
Darth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Grand Sport
Occupation
Scientific Negotiator
My story is like most others already posted in this thread, and I have only put 6K miles on my JL during 1-1/2 years of ownership. However, changing oil at least once a year is a must. So easy to do, I never risk taking it to the dealer (even if it's free), and just do it myself. Enjoy and happy Jeepin'!
100% with you. No Jeep or vette of ours has ever been to a dealer (or any other mechanic) for anything, ever. We do it all at home.

As for the free changes. The dealers have always given me the oil and filters and counted them for the free changes. They get the credit, I get the stuff.

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
As for the free changes. The dealers have always given me the oil and filters and counted them for the free changes. They get the credit, I get the stuff.
Damn...I didn't know you could do this! I always buy my own oil and filter, but will definitely check it out. Many thanks for the tip!

Sponsored

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, change the oil at least once per year even if you put VERY low miles on it. Oil is hydroscopic and will pick up moisture over time. You change it at least once a year for that reason.
Agree with this, but was just curious if oil absorbs moisture while stored in its original, unopened jug. Maybe it's a dumb question, but oil jugs aren't necessarily airtight and I have several that have been sitting on the shelf for over a year. Just makes me wonder, since we're on the subject...

OP
OP
[DELETED USER 82058]

[DELETED USER 82058]

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon 2-Door
Glad I’m the not the only one that keeps the mileage low. I drive it at least every 2 or 3 weeks but typically 10 minutes down the road and back. I’m a time or mileage guy as well but never owned a vehicle that is this rarely driven. I’ll go with 6 months just because it’s the first oil change. I bought this strictly as big kid toy. It is the 4th Jeep I’ve owned. My 2021 daily driver already has nearly 70k on the odo so you can see why my JL is mileage challenged.😂

gsbrockman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys XR in Hydro Blue
Occupation
Owner / Operator Brockman Hauling, LLC
Vehicle Showcase
Suggestions?
Your Jeep

Your warranty......

Oil changes (documented and performed by yourself, an independent repair shop, or a dealer) within the scheduled maintenance guidelines are a no-brainer within warranty.

Last edited:
OP
OP
[DELETED USER 82058]

[DELETED USER 82058]

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon 2-Door
Your Jeep

Your warranty......

Oil changes (documented and performed by yourself, an independent repair shop, or a dealer) within the scheduled maintenance guidelines are a no-brained within warranty.
It’s not a question of yes or no, I worded the post REALLY bad. Definitely getting the oil changed. I’ve just never had a vehicle need an oil change based on time instead of mileage.😂
Sponsored