Sponsored

I need Legal advice...

Vawildjeep

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon 2 1/2” stage 2 Icon lift 37” Nitto Ridge Grapplers on 20” Fuel Beasts.
Occupation
Business owner
Vehicle Showcase
I'm hoping someone on here is either an attorney with experience in dealing with dealerships or can lead me in the right direction. I will be as vague & brief as possible in my story.

Purchased an 18 Rubi from a small dealership that customizes jeeps, similar to RubiTrux (not them obviously). As in they buy the jeep from a dealership then take it and do whatever customization that you want. Got lift, tires, wheels, etc... Long story short, I went to pick it up only to pull up and they are cleaning out the shop/dealership and have fired all the workers and shutting the doors. My jeep is actually sitting INSIDE the bay...completely finished AND completely paid for. The guy taking everything down that used to work there simply said he was fired and was only helping get some stuff out that day. Tried to contact the owners with no response. I have the purchase order that was emailed to me, but nothing else. What recourse do I have?? I am just sick with this....If I don't hear anything by tomorrow, then I will have to contact an attorney.
Sponsored

OldBird

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
You definitely need to contact a local attorney, even if it's just for a short consultation. The laws for these kinds of things are different state to state, some parts even county by county.

If the Jeep's title is in your name, it is your Jeep. Regardless of who's possession it is in. There may, however, be liens or other entitlements on the things that were added to your Jeep.

You want help as quickly as you can get it, before the parts get removed again. Take all of your paperwork, including any proof of payment to them and the original place the Jeep was purchased.

If the Jeep title is not in your name (even with a lender), then you really need to move fast or you might end up in line behind any other lender or vendor that got there sooner.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Contact a local attorney and ask them. Right away. You are about to get dozens of different answers from people who know less than you do. Seriously, close your browser and make a phone call right now. Then come back to post and tell us how it all worked out.

Sponsored

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
All i can say, and don't take this as legal advice or advice at all but if my Jeep was fully paid for sitting hostage in someone elses garage I'd be doing a nighttime op to get it back.

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
This is presumptive of me BUT I’m guessing it panned out based on his avatar picture?
Maybe, can't tell if it's the customized Jeep OP had work on or not. I say this because say the company shut down. They had listed OP's vehicle as a security for a loan. They default on the loan, secured party has first dibs, OP has to sue company for its value and may never actually be able to get his Jeep back, forced to buy another one. Something I read about bonafide purchasers and secured transactions I read once. Just one example.

Sponsored

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
All i can say, and don't take this as legal advice or advice at all but if my Jeep was fully paid for sitting hostage in someone elses garage I'd be doing a nighttime op to get it back.
Well said Fat, you stole my thunder. I was gonna write “a battery grinder cuts through anything “.

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, I hear ya. Well the OP posted elsewhere on the forum pictures of his new Wrangler on a beach so I’m guessing it’s all sunshine... maybe even rainbows and lollipops if he’s into that sort of thing. :CWL:
Great point. It would have been really nice if the OP updated the post....

BGP1972

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
Maybe, can't tell if it's the customized Jeep OP had work on or not. I say this because say the company shut down. They had listed OP's vehicle as a security for a loan. They default on the loan, secured party has first dibs, OP has to sue company for its value and may never actually be able to get his Jeep back, forced to buy another one. Something I read about bonafide purchasers and secured transactions I read once. Just one example.
You can’t just list another persons titled property as your asset on a loan.
Sponsored