I need help from the community. dead 3.0 eco diesel

rdsii

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I wanted to post this to get some solid input from the community as well if anyone has contact information at Jeep/Chrysler.

My son bought a new 2021 Gladiator Willys with the 3.0 eco diesel. It is under 2 months old and just hit 2000 miles. The gladiator has been in the shop for ~20 days.

What Happened:

The motor lost power and making all kind of noises and the turbo was turbo real loud. It was about 800 ft from my house and it dropped dead in the middle of the road. It restarted for about 30 sec and the motor sounded like a rod knock. Stopped and never started again. It never had a check engine light on or another light on. It sounded like when you turned it over the engine was spinning really fast. It had a strange burning smell not electrical or fuel. Like something cooked in the engine. I looked under the truck to see if a rod went thru the block. There was no oil leakage. I towed it to my house with my wrangler and then It was towed to the dealer and is still there.

About 10 days in the shop, they identified an issue with the wastegate actuator. They said a software flash should resolve the issue. Then we moved to an electrical issue. Then it was fixed but need to be road test. NOW were at they need to do a compression test (I have no results). As well as the mechanic decides to look at the oil and identified metal shavings. All this took close to three weeks. I sent a txt to the salesman to notified him of the issues and got the reply that the service manager is on it and please be patient because that want to be sure the issue is addressed. We have no updates on progress or next steps.

Without guessing based on the observations, I observed as well as metal in the oil and the dealer wanting to perform a compression test. Well, this motor is toast at 2k and were 20+ days into this and the dealer still has not started the process for a new motor.

So, I want to get some input as to what some of you have done and had turned out for the best for you. I would like to get a contact at Jeep or Chrysler to resolve this as well as ensuring that this dealer can perform the work to fix the jeep or have jeep replace the jeep. I have bought at least 7 new Jeeps and as a customer this is unacceptable.

I want to see if this can get resolved before I turn it over to NJ lemon law.
Sponsored

LpAbsolute

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubi
I would go to the Dealership in person, ask for your Salesman/Sales Manager/Service Manager and go to the Service Department in person and ask for everything that has been done/observed/found be given to you in writing, along with a step by step plan of action. Its their shop but your property. Personally i would be wanting to "ok" every step in the process or at least be informed and not just have them "trying stuff out to see if it works". They should have a game plan and if not you need to know that they don't and what steps to take. I would do everything in person and not over the phone. Keep us informed and sorry this has happened.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Seem like these ecodiesels are dropping like flies..

The amount of failure rate for such a small crowd is unsettling to say the least.

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
I'd let them know that at a minimum I want a full engine replacement, or would settle for a trade of a new identical vehicle at no cost, but they need to get going on it or I'm going to lemon law arbitration.

Sponsored

Shaved Ice

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I'd let them know that at a minimum I want a full engine replacement, or would settle for a trade of a new identical vehicle at no cost, but they need to get going on it or I'm going to lemon law arbitration.
The dealer has nothing to do with lemon law arbitration. I lemon lawed my 2018 JLUR. If corporate doesnā€™t tell them to do an engine replacement under warranty, the dealership ainā€™t doing it. All buyback and replacement talk is done initially with corporate then a third party company. I even had to ask the dealer permission to turn the vehicle over to the third party arbitration company on dealership property where is was at for repair.

FCCinAZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392XR
The dealer has nothing to do with lemon law arbitration. I lemon lawed my 2018 JLUR. If corporate doesnā€™t tell them to do an engine replacement under warranty, the dealership ainā€™t doing it. All buyback and replacement talk is done initially with corporate then a third party company. I even had to ask the dealer permission to turn the vehicle over to the third party arbitration company on dealership property where is was at for repair.
Iā€˜d contact Jeep Cares. I just had my eco diesel bought back by FCA for electrical issues and the process was pretty painless and fair. Mine is a year old, youā€™ll probably get everything refunded including taxes, registration, etc. Funny thing is, right after I accepted the offer, looks like they finally found the problem, a pin on the wire harness was connected by a single strand of copper. Led to DEF pump issues, CEL, fuse block replacement, and ecu replacement. Iā€™m ordering another one because when it worked, I absolutely loved it. Iā€™m an addict, I know, but thatā€™s the first step. Good luck.

OP
OP

rdsii

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Thanks everyone for your input!

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.

The amount of failure rate for such a small crowd is unsettling to say the least.
Visit any car forum and you'll draw the same conclusions about that brand. People don't tend to comment about the reliability of their vehicles unless it's bad.

Sympathies to the OP. Unfortunately, his situation is very real.

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
how about an update? what's going on with the vehicle?

i'm currently waiting on an ETA for when Corporate is going to be able to give me an ETA for the parts they need to put my Willys back together after it ate its Fuel Pump.
@JeepCares is involved, and the idea that they think anyone should be OK with not even knowing when they're going to know how long it's going to be is absurd.

Thanks everyone for your input!

Sponsored

OP
OP

rdsii

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I want to provide an update on my sonā€™s gladiator. It still is not repaired..

The dealer finally indicated the engine was blown. A week or 2 later my son was advised there was gas in the fuel. It took a longtime to get to this point. The good new his auto insurance is picking up the bill and going after the fuel station. He had a pump receipt that diesel was used to fill the jeep. We did find out later there were more casualties to other people that went to the same station.

Sourcing replacement parts..
The dealer advised there were no engines to be had and this went on for a long time. Not even a guess to when they would come in. I decided to reach out to a friend of mine to see if that was true and he advised there was 1 complete motor and 11 long blocks in Michigan. My son went to his dealer and they said no way and claimed they looked. Strangely a few days later all the parts came in. That was 2 weeks ago and now we are waiting for the dealer to have the time to do the swap.

Overall this has been a very disappointing process.

LongTimeListener

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKURHR
A week or 2 later my son was advised there was gas in the fuel. It took a longtime to get to this point. The good new his auto insurance is picking up the bill and going after the fuel station. He had a pump receipt that diesel was used to fill the jeep. We did find out later there were more casualties to other people that went to the same station.
So not Jeep's fault that the engine is blown. But the dealer's incompetence has led to a lengthy comedy of errors. Lordy.

TBH, I would hope the insurance company would just total the poor thing and go after the gas station that pumped the wrong fuel. You and your son are 100% right to be frustrated and pissed as hell. This sucks big time. I hope you get it worked out to your satisfaction. Thanks for the update.

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
glad to hear it sounds like things are coming along...

is it thought that the station had the wrong fuel in its tanks, or is this a case of a Full-Serve pump jockey putting the wrong nozzle in the vehicle?

it's been weeks now for me; still waiting on parts for my repair after the Fuel Pump grenaded itself,...

I want to provide an update on my sonā€™s gladiator. It still is not repaired..

The dealer finally indicated the engine was blown. A week or 2 later my son was advised there was gas in the fuel. It took a longtime to get to this point. The good new his auto insurance is picking up the bill and going after the fuel station. He had a pump receipt that diesel was used to fill the jeep. We did find out later there were more casualties to other people that went to the same station.

Sourcing replacement parts..
The dealer advised there were no engines to be had and this went on for a long time. Not even a guess to when they would come in. I decided to reach out to a friend of mine to see if that was true and he advised there was 1 complete motor and 11 long blocks in Michigan. My son went to his dealer and they said no way and claimed they looked. Strangely a few days later all the parts came in. That was 2 weeks ago and now we are waiting for the dealer to have the time to do the swap.

Overall this has been a very disappointing process.

summer4x

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many

It's a bad engine design. Look what happened in the 1500 trucks. Not sure why this thing is even an option at this point. I say this with a heavy heart because I am a huge diesel fan and would love nothing more than one of them.

xylodan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
It's a bad engine design. Look what happened in the 1500 trucks. Not sure why this thing is even an option at this point. I say this with a heavy heart because I am a huge diesel fan and would love nothing more than one of them.
Not sure engine design can prevent a gas station from putting gasoline in the tank that's supposed to deliver diesel...
Sponsored