Sponsored

I need help from the community. dead 3.0 eco diesel

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
it's hardly a "bad engine design"; even for people who don't have gasoline fed to their diesels, it seems most of the failures are related to the Bosch CP4 High Pressure Fuel Pump that provides the high fuel pressure that makes the power and efficiency these engines deliver possible.
what seems like a bad design might the result of the choice to use the CP4 in the US where the Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel used in the US possibly doesn't provide the lubricity that the fuel used in the EU provides (where the VM Motori EcoDiesel was designed). the previous Gen CP3 pump seems to be enjoying a nice long lifespan, but was heavier and doesn't provide the same power/efficiency the CP4 does. however, it may be telling that several other applications using the EcoDiesel have kits available to substitute the CP3 for the CP4.
the part i personally feel is a bad design is the fact that the failure of the CP4 apparently contaminates so many other parts with metal fragments that need to replaced when it fails; there are several companies in the aftermarket now that are providing Catastrophe Failure kits that allegedly significantly reduce the consequences of the CP4 failure, and i feel that should be integrated into every EcoDiesel from the factory. (i've yet to find one for the J**p application; after having my EcoDiesel sit idle for weeks now waiting for back-ordered simple parts like fuel lines and in-tank pump/gauge modules, i'll definitely be keeping an eye open for one!)

in the meantime, there's no good excuse for my pump to have failed in just over 4K miles, and i have to consider that perhaps it might make sense for folks with the EcoDiesel to consider using an additive or fuel blend that provides more fuel lubricity in order to help the CP4 pump along. now that major fuel companies are providing fuel blends anywhere from 5-20% biomass to 100% Renewable diesel, it may prove that we have better options available than just throwing a bottle of something in with every tank of #2.

It's a bad engine design. Look what happened in the 1500 trucks. Not sure why this thing is even an option at this point. I say this with a heavy heart because I am a huge diesel fan and would love nothing more than one of them.
Sponsored

summer4x

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
The S
it's hardly a "bad engine design"; even for people who don't have gasoline fed to their diesels, it seems most of the failures are related to the Bosch CP4 High Pressure Fuel Pump that provides the high fuel pressure that makes the power and efficiency these engines deliver possible.
what seems like a bad design might the result of the choice to use the CP4 in the US where the Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel used in the US possibly doesn't provide the lubricity that the fuel used in the EU provides (where the VM Motori EcoDiesel was designed). the previous Gen CP3 pump seems to be enjoying a nice long lifespan, but was heavier and doesn't provide the same power/efficiency the CP4 does. however, it may be telling that several other applications using the EcoDiesel have kits available to substitute the CP3 for the CP4.
the part i personally feel is a bad design is the fact that the failure of the CP4 apparently contaminates so many other parts with metal fragments that need to replaced when it fails; there are several companies in the aftermarket now that are providing Catastrophe Failure kits that allegedly significantly reduce the consequences of the CP4 failure, and i feel that should be integrated into every EcoDiesel from the factory. (i've yet to find one for the J**p application; after having my EcoDiesel sit idle for weeks now waiting for back-ordered simple parts like fuel lines and in-tank pump/gauge modules, i'll definitely be keeping an eye open for one!)

in the meantime, there's no good excuse for my pump to have failed in just over 4K miles, and i have to consider that perhaps it might make sense for folks with the EcoDiesel to consider using an additive or fuel blend that provides more fuel lubricity in order to help the CP4 pump along. now that major fuel companies are providing fuel blends anywhere from 5-20% biomass to 100% Renewable diesel, it may prove that we have better options available than just throwing a bottle of something in with every tank of #2.
The CP4 pump is junk. That's why the Cummins powered Ram trucks went back to the CP3 after only 2 years, and why GM went in house for their new Duramax injection pump. But that's not my biggest concern regarding the Ecodiesel. They had an alarming number of engine failures on the 1500 Ram trucks and the suspicion is main bearing failure though Ram has been extremely secretive about the cause.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
I want to provide an update on my son’s gladiator. It still is not repaired..

The dealer finally indicated the engine was blown. A week or 2 later my son was advised there was gas in the fuel. It took a longtime to get to this point. The good new his auto insurance is picking up the bill and going after the fuel station. He had a pump receipt that diesel was used to fill the jeep. We did find out later there were more casualties to other people that went to the same station.

Sourcing replacement parts..
The dealer advised there were no engines to be had and this went on for a long time. Not even a guess to when they would come in. I decided to reach out to a friend of mine to see if that was true and he advised there was 1 complete motor and 11 long blocks in Michigan. My son went to his dealer and they said no way and claimed they looked. Strangely a few days later all the parts came in. That was 2 weeks ago and now we are waiting for the dealer to have the time to do the swap.

Overall this has been a very disappointing process.
The situation really sucks. But as others said, it's not Jeep's fault...the gas station did you wrong. There should be some kind of class action against them. They make specific diesel gas pump fillers...you would think the station tanks would be foolproof too. This was just bad luck, don't let it sour you. The Gladiator will get fixed and bring you both many smiles.

SargeRubi3.0

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392 Rubicon Xr.
I know it’s a old thread, but was curious what happened ?
Sponsored