Sponsored

I need help choosing between an Ecodiesel or the 4xe.

Black Wolf

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangle Unlimited Rubicon
I'll be using it primarily as a daily driver averaging 600 miles/wk...plus another 120 miles towing a kayak trailer on the weekends. I'll also occasionally use it off-roading for hunting, fishing and camping trips here in the mountains. So what do you think....which one would best suit my needs? Thanks!
Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
For that type of driving the eco diesel is perfect.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Although 4Xe is brand-new, it has been getting rave reviews. People seem particularly taken by the ability to off-road in absolute silence. I cannot imagine a greater benefit than that for someone who goes hunting.

Also, now that I have Selec-Trac, it has become a must-have for me on a Jeep. Selec-Trac comes standard on 4Xe; it is not available on EcoDiesel.

Finally, now that there are few discounts, the $7,500 tax credit on 4Xe makes it seem like a bargain.

However, if you plan to lift and/or get 35s, I’d get the EcoDiesel. Unlike the hybrid, it will be unfazed by the large tires.

Good luck.

dr.dirty

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ecodiesel Sport
I wasn't overly impressed with the 4xe when I test drove one. I went with a 21 JLUD sport and couldn't be happier. I'm running a 2 inch Mopar lift and 35s and I commute right at 200 miles round trip daily. I average 25-28 mpg. Granted 98% of my commute is on the freeway. My only complaint is the cost of Diesel here in SOCAL has been steadily climbing and now cost almost as much as premium.

Sponsored

FloridaLarry

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubi 4xe
Occupation
IT Manager
600 miles/ week? Forget the 4xe. As for the diesel, I would only do that if I were getting 37" and above, and you were ready to accept the fact that the 3.0TED will not save you money. Otherwise, the 3.6L (followed by 2.0T) is the better bet for the OP. A loaded up kayak trailer is well under the 3500 lbs.

Ron93YJ

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Longer runs, Ecodiesel. (but be prepared for more maint)
More frequent/shorter runs, 4xe (but be prepared to plug in every night)
I think this sums it up well. I’d go with an eco if I were you given the miles you’re putting on.

OP
OP

Black Wolf

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I definitely plan on lifting it and running 35's to 37's. I was able to test drive both and loved the power and sound of the 4xe when you stomp on the gas over the diesel.

For those that recommend the Ecodiesel over the 4xe...would it be a tougher decision if the 4xe had a bigger battery? Is that something that could be potentially upgraded in the near future?

I'm no mechanic or auto technician but if the 4xe has more hp and torque then the diesel...wouldn't it handle the bigger tires just as well if not better? What makes the diesel better in that regards?

I truly appreciate all your comments!

Thanks!

Mgg253

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
The 4xe is AMAZING. That said, I agree with everyone else, the Eco will suit your needs better based on how much you’ll be driving

I don’t know how anyone drives the 4xe without smiling. I’ve had everything from sports cars to sport bikes to trucks. Since I’m not 21 anymore the 4xe is my favorite vehicle to date.

GSLSE21B

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jLURD
I definitely plan on lifting it and running 35's to 37's. I was able to test drive both and loved the power and sound of the 4xe when you stomp on the gas over the diesel.

For those that recommend the Ecodiesel over the 4xe...would it be a tougher decision if the 4xe had a bigger battery? Is that something that could be potentially upgraded in the near future?

I'm no mechanic or auto technician but if the 4xe has more hp and torque then the diesel...wouldn't it handle the bigger tires just as well if not better? What makes the diesel better in that regards?

Thanks!
The diesel always has torque and fuel economy. Buy the diesel under your business name and take the tax break

Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I'll be using it primarily as a daily driver averaging 600 miles/wk...plus another 120 miles towing a kayak trailer on the weekends. I'll also occasionally use it off-roading for hunting, fishing and camping trips here in the mountains. So what do you think....which one would best suit my needs?
Provided that your mileage plan (commuting+towing+camping etc) is something you're going to sustain, the diesel is the clear choice. The combination of its efficiency and strength will seem tailor made for your usage.

If your driving requirements ever fall off of a cliff, though, the break-even point for the $6K+ expense of the diesel engine option, already a years-long proposition, might never be reached. Diesels like to be driven. They need to be used. They are a working breed without peer, so do keep that in mind.

OINC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe

Thanks!
The 4xe handles lifting and larger tires with aplomb. Check out the 4xe subforum for plenty of people who've done that. It's always a hybrid, and it will always have access to both the electric and combustion power (it keeps a battery reserve).

But for your driving patterns, the 4xe is probably not a good fit. It's best suited for people like me who drive primarily ~40mile or less segments with several hours at least to charge in between. At more than 100 miles per day, unless you can charge completely 1-2x during the day, it doesn't make much sense.

And it is unlikely the 4xe will see an aftermarket battery upgrade any time soon. I certainly wouldn't rely on that.

OP
OP

Black Wolf

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks, again for all your comments. It looks like an Ecodiesel it will be ;)

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
I am curious. Often times people make up their minds before they ask these types of questions. They are often looking for some kind of validation of their decision.

Were you leaning towards the diesel before? If the consensus was on the 4xe, would you have gone in that direction?

Alex01

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Wrangler, 2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
I'd go ED for your use. Once the 4xe runs out of power it reportedly gets worse mpg than a regular 2.0 due to the extra weight. Now if your daily commute was 20 miles or so the 4xe would be a slam dunk. I'd still be a bit nervous about the new technology though until a few years go by and any kinks get worked out.
Sponsored