Sponsored

I need advice.... What could’ve caused this under hood damage?

ShadowRig

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport Metallic Granite
Hello,

i am curious as to what could’ve possibly caused this damage? I am interested in buying a pre-owned rubicon but this is kind of bugging me... I don’t care about the look of it but instead what could’ve caused it... I am thinking engine coolant spray (engine ran hot?) or waterfording? I need advice on to whether this should be enough to keep me away from this vehicle.

Jeep Wrangler JL I need advice.... What could’ve caused this under hood damage? 467F4F65-CA11-4338-9E2A-B7A3D801D3B1
Sponsored

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I can only think of time + heat that would be causing that material to slowly disintegrate.

edit: and yes, it appears some sort of liquid was spilled on it.

MichaelAnthony

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon JLUR, 97 Centurion Dually 7.3, 97 Classy Chassis Dually 7.3, 2016 Ultra Classic CVO
Vehicle Showcase
LoL nah you can see the water stain from draining down while the hood was open..... I say no worries if the engine was nice and clean that was probably what caused it. In my early days I used to detail cars and guys were always doing that.

Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I need advice on to whether this should be enough to keep me away from this vehicle.
That hood insulation can easily be replaced. If you’ve done your due diligence and the rest of the vehicle is sound, then go for it.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
If you do buy that JL, the Hood insulator (pad) is Mopar part # 68292168AC
Cost = $38.35 approx.

Push In Pin - Mopar (6504135)
Jeep Wrangler JL I need advice.... What could’ve caused this under hood damage? 1622379646674

Last edited:

cripton805

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport w/ 6sp
That happened to mine for no reason. It got replaced under warranty. My 2021 with 12 miles on it. When I looked at it at the dealership. Was already peeling before I even bought it. I checked under the hood.

Sponsored

Rubycon50

First Name
Royce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JL
Vehicle Showcase
If you do buy that JL, the Hood pad is Mopar part # 68292168AC
Cost = $38.35 approx.
I replaced mine and yes it's just like toilet paper. If you leave it alone it will probably last a long time. A little tip, I tried to buy it online but the shipping charges were insane. I went to the stealership and ordered it there as there were no shipping costs. I think I paid $50 all up.

Creeker

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ-7, 2020 JLR
Build Thread
Link
If the damage to the insulation was done by a pressure washer, a concern regarding clean the rest of the engine bay using the pressure washer is warranted. Sometimes damage can occur to the connections, electronics, and electrical stuff if jetted water is sprayed into the engine compartment.

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
I cut into my heat shield to install those S&B hood scoops, then decided I didn't like them and took them off. I ordered a second heat shield for like $30 and stuck it on there with some new plastic rivets. Those heat shields are ridiculously brittle and when it's off you can see the channels where it directs the flow of water. He could've hit the shield with something that cracked it (it wouldn't take much at all), causing water to leak in that direction. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Last edited:

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

wash mine out everything i wash my Jeep. zero issues. ive used both garden hose and pressure washer to do the engine bay. Of course you use the widest tip and keep your distance. I have to admit, nothing is worse then a nasty engine bay to work on.

SirMagnus89

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Sport 2 Door, Mojito!
Hello,

i am curious as to what could’ve possibly caused this damage? I am interested in buying a pre-owned rubicon but this is kind of bugging me... I don’t care about the look of it but instead what could’ve caused it... I am thinking engine coolant spray (engine ran hot?) or waterfording? I need advice on to whether this should be enough to keep me away from this vehicle.

Jeep Wrangler JL I need advice.... What could’ve caused this under hood damage? 1622379646674
Heat and water from offroading. Nothing to worry about. IT is a crappy fiber sheet that always wears out on any vehicle.
Sponsored