Sponsored

I need a hitch for a Diesel JL Unlimited

JeepsArentCheap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Unlimited Sahara Altitude
Just got a new 2020 JL Sahara Altitude and it doesn't have a hitch. The local dealer wants $439.00 to install one without wiring and $1,097.00 to install a hitch with the wiring harness. Are there other options other that don't require dropping the tank? I tried to use the mopar hitch, but it requires dropping the DEF tank to access some of the bolt holes.

6AEAD61C-6AF2-4027-8B71-06D8192476B0.jpeg
Sponsored

fredT

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
JeepsArentCheap- I just installed the Rugged Ridge hitch which is designed the same as the Mopar hitch from my understanding. All I had to do was take the two bolts for the DEF tank off, then pull down on the skid plate enough to access that outside bolt under the plate. (Did not have to take the tank or skid plate off). You also have to loosen the bumper bolts to get enough room to pull the steel frame away enough to fit the new hitch in. Their hitch came with the two center nuts welded to the hitch, and the plate on the bumper has holes that fit over the welded nuts. It’s really not as hard as it sounds, but it is a little bit of a PIA to get all the bolts tightened on the hitch. Total install time was less than an hour in my driveway with only hand tools.

fredT

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JeepsArentCheap- I just installed the Rugged Ridge hitch which is designed the same as the Mopar hitch from my understanding. All I had to do was take the two bolts for the DEF tank off, then pull down on the skid plate enough to access that outside bolt under the plate. (Did not have to take the tank or skid plate off). You also have to loosen the bumper bolts to get enough room to pull the steel frame away enough to fit the new hitch in. Their hitch came with the two center nuts welded to the hitch, and the plate on the bumper has holes that fit over the welded nuts. It’s really not as hard as it sounds, but it is a little bit of a PIA to get all the bolts tightened on the hitch. Total install time was less than an hour in my driveway with only hand tools.
Just reread my comment and need to add that the bolts I had to remove before pulling down the DEF skid plate were to the back section of that skid plate. Also wanted to add that I bought a DrawTight hitch and had to return it due to the DEF tank skid plate. According to Amazon it was supposed to fit a 2020 Jeep, but won’t fit the diesel due to that skid plate.

OP
OP

JeepsArentCheap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Unlimited Sahara Altitude
Thank you for your guidance! I got the hitch installed last night, but had a bit of a scare when my arm got wedged in between the muffler and bumper somehow. I panicked for a second, but was able to relax and wiggle it free after about two minutes. Anyways, I'm glad it is on.

I have not installed the wiring harness yet. Are there any tricks to getting it done, or is it prettry straight forward? I ordered the kit from Quadratec.

fredT

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you for your guidance! I got the hitch installed last night, but had a bit of a scare when my arm got wedged in between the muffler and bumper somehow. I panicked for a second, but was able to relax and wiggle it free after about two minutes. Anyways, I'm glad it is on.

I have not installed the wiring harness yet. Are there any tricks to getting it done, or is it prettry straight forward? I ordered the kit from Quadratec.

JeepsArentCheap - I use my JLUD to tow behind a motorhome, so I ordered the CURT 58964 harness for flat towing. That harness allows the brake lights from the motorhome to operate the Jeep tail lights whenever it’s being towed. Additionally since I was installing a rear hitch for the possibility of towing a motorcycle trailer occasionally (since I ride too), that harness has a plug built into it to go with the trailer towing harness from CURT 58920 which required a hot wire to be run to the battery. Everything else was plug and play with the exception of drilling a self tapping screw in for a ground. (Make sure to use a star washer or sand the paint where the screw holds the ground wire into the bare metal for a good ground) Real easy to install. I installed all the wiring (flat tow wiring and hot wire to battery for the rear tow lights) together and ran it through the frame on the drivers side bringing it out just in front of the firewall. The whole job was pretty easy Overall and running through the frame took the most time using a fish wire. Your kit most likely will come with tie wraps to mount it to the outside of the frame, but I chose to run through the frame to protect it from any obstructions on the trail. If you do run any wire through the frame make sure you protect the wire where it enters and exits the frame. I used several layers of black electrical tape for a few inches Where it goes in and comes out, which will protect it from peeling the insulation off the wire. Good luck with your install.
Sponsored