Sponsored

I Moved to Colorado

Deleted member 35398

Welcome and congrats on the move. The funtreks books are great start on trail recommendations. When I moved hear 7 years ago I mainly just found people to wheel with on forums or facebook groups. I'll second the Mile-Hi Jeep Club haven't joined yet but have ran into and shot the shit with members before and always hear good things. I have nothing but good things to say about Prestige the dealership up in Longmont which is up your way. Can't say I've had any great experiences at any of the Larry H Millers or the Auto Nation's in the metro area.

Be prepared to smile nod and move on from all the GET OFF MY LAWN people. For every person that loves what the state has to offer and understands that cool places attract people there's another person ready to bitch about traffic and tell you how it used to be.

See ya on the trail!
Said like a true transplant WHO THINKS YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO YOUR OWN LAWN.
Sponsored

TOTL Innovations

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.totlinnovations.com
Vehicle(s)
2008 JK

desert runner

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR MetalCloak 2.5F/3.5R, LoD Bumper/Carrier.
Welcome to Colorado, indeed one of the most beautiful states. We are happy to have you here! I live in Loveland, too, happy to hook up.

JoFoCoCo

First Name
Josef
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Ocean Metallic hardtop
Anyway, I was just looking for advice on the best winter trails, dealerships (for service) ... I'm in Loveland
IMG_20200103_120720.jpg
For some snowwheeling, check out Ballard Road and Greer Road off Buckhorn on the west side of Horsetooth on your way toward Pingree Park. Middle St. Vrain above Boulder is also open in the winter, but I haven't snowwheeled there yet.

I also would recomment Avenza maps for your phone - you can download the National Forest MVUM for FR roads and knowing where public/private boundaries are (although the myriad "No Tresspassing" signs usually are a dead giveaway for private land).

I've been satisified with FoCo Jeep during my 2018 JLUR lemon experience. Not sure if they ever fixed that Jeep they sold me, but did well once the time elapsed and was able to involve FCA on the "trade in" for a 2019 JLUR.

Here's a pic on Greer Road from January 2019. Been wanting to bust out the snowshoes and get up there again soon.

20190119_121809.jpg

Sponsored

COJLGirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe, 2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4...
Truly a lifelong dream of mine, even before my first visit. I'm finally able to make good on my user name :like: (and for the skeptics, here's John Denver explaining why his song isn't about weed. <-- Click) I know there are many Coloradans who disapprove of outsiders moving in, but it's truly great to be here.

Anyway, I was just looking for advice on the best winter trails, dealerships (for service) and whether or not I should join a Jeep club. I know there's the Denver group on this forum, I'm in Loveland, that might be a little far. Since I got here, I've gone on a few "proper" trails, but even just driving the winding dirt roads through the mountains is an exponential improvement from the two tracks of Michigan (Sorry Michiganders). For those of you who are also here in the mountains, I hope to see you on the trail!

IMG_20200103_120720.jpg

Congrats! I grew up in the Denver Metro area and still love the state as a whole even though I live in AZ now. It’s a bit pricey to live there, but still a wonderful place.

GinjaNinja

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave; 2018 Mojito! JLUR [GONE];
Congrats OP! I am a native Coloradan and have lived in quite a few places (Denver, Colorado Springs, Loveland, Limon). I love Colorado and miss it, wish I didn't leave because I have been stuck in the Seattle area for 8 years wishing to move out for 6 years now. Hate it in Seattle but won't derail the thread ;-)

Cheers.

Indio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Jeep TJ, 1985 Jeep CJ-7, 1972 Series III Land Rover
Occupation
Procrastinator
Truly a lifelong dream of mine, even before my first visit. I'm finally able to make good on my user name :like: (and for the skeptics, here's John Denver explaining why his song isn't about weed. <-- Click) I know there are many Coloradans who disapprove of outsiders moving in, but it's truly great to be here.

Anyway, I was just looking for advice on the best winter trails, dealerships (for service) and whether or not I should join a Jeep club. I know there's the Denver group on this forum, I'm in Loveland, that might be a little far. Since I got here, I've gone on a few "proper" trails, but even just driving the winding dirt roads through the mountains is an exponential improvement from the two tracks of Michigan (Sorry Michiganders). For those of you who are also here in the mountains, I hope to see you on the trail!

IMG_20200103_120720.jpg
I lived in the Fort Collins area (including above in the foothills) for 10 years in the mid-90s into the early 2000s. Back when Fort Collins and Loveland had open space between them, lol.

Try Poudre Canyon - it's a nice drive and there are various off-road trails branching off. Unfortunately some now have gates, and you can never be sure the gates will be open, until you get there. Most weekends we were out in the CJ camping and exploring the various trails.

Things have changed in the area, and in my opinion not for the better. But overall still a real nice place to live if you like good weather and exploring the mountains in a Jeep. Enjoy!

Deleted member 35398

I lived in the Fort Collins area (including above in the foothills) for 10 years in the mid-90s into the early 2000s. Back when Fort Collins and Loveland had open space between them, .........
Shoulda been there in the late 70s. It was the perfect town and nothing between the Fort and Brighton except ranches (Johnson Siding made for a good piss break). I was ready to move back after 20 years in the Air Force in '98, but didn't want to become "part of the problem." Sad to see the californication. Now it's happening to Idaho.........the califorians are absolutely raping this place.

Sponsored

Torch51

First Name
STEPHEN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 wrangler unlimited rubicon
I live in COLORADO SPRINGS. The city has an “outdoor-is-life” attitude. Many local options for getting outside, from dog parks to running trails to OHV trails that run the length of the front range ridge. I used to own quads but decided a Jeep is always ready. Not in any clubs I’m just starting. Hit me up if you know any.

rumblejeep

First Name
Doublehaul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sahara
I live in COLORADO SPRINGS. The city has an “outdoor-is-life” attitude. Many local options for getting outside, from dog parks to running trails to OHV trails that run the length of the front range ridge. I used to own quads but decided a Jeep is always ready. Not in any clubs I’m just starting. Hit me up if you know any.
Been living in Sarasota Fl. for many years . Think its time to put some altitude in my life. ( not talking drugs here ) The Rockies are enticing !

Indio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Jeep TJ, 1985 Jeep CJ-7, 1972 Series III Land Rover
Occupation
Procrastinator
Shoulda been there in the late 70s. It was the perfect town and nothing between the Fort and Brighton except ranches (Johnson Siding made for a good piss break). I was ready to move back after 20 years in the Air Force in '98, but didn't want to become "part of the problem." Sad to see the californication. Now it's happening to Idaho.........the califorians are absolutely raping this place.
70's would have been nice. I moved to Fort Collins around '93. Harmony road was still partly dirt at that time, and marked the south of town.

In the 90's the place was candyland for classic 4x4s. So many available and at the time with little rust. Early Broncos were a dime a dozen (before prices jumped the shark). Unimogs, Pinzaurs, variety of Jeeps. Every weekend exploring in the mountains. Miss those days.

Last week I happened to be researching the current economics of the place, and the housing costs compared to the average income of Fort Collins are out of whack. The numbers don't add up. Maybe wealth coming in from out of state or other sources not reported as income.

KPersCO

First Name
KP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Rubicon, '13 WRX Wagon
Occupation
Engineer
There's only 122 million more people in the country today then there was in 70's. Unfortunately if you're human you are "part of the problem" since we have always continued populate the world. There's going to be another ~85 million people in the country by 2060, so where should all the "Californians" (people) live in your opinion?

Torch51

First Name
STEPHEN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 wrangler unlimited rubicon
Been living in Sarasota Fl. for many years . Think its time to put some altitude in my life. ( not talking drugs here ) The Rockies are enticing !
Funny, my wife thinks we need a winter home in Florida
Sponsored