I love this engine.

Sanchese

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021Rubicon, 2022 Rubicon Xtreme Recon on Order
bummed I didnt know about the 4.88... I would lose my deposit and spot if I were to re-order so I'll just make do with the 4.10
Dealers can add it to your order without having to reorder.
I ordered a 2022 rubicon xtreme Recon which comes with 4.56 gears and 35 inch tires.
Sponsored

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
Love my 3.6 now with 5.13 gears. The transmission is making my life hell but maybe that can be remedied. I hope...

however the 3.6 is SOLID.. probably one of the best engines on the planet.. wasn't it on wards best engine list?

As far as saying its a 'good' engine.. you have durability and performance and they're kind of different ends of a spectrum. The more performance you get, the less durability.. or so it's been the case in the past, notwithstanding technology progression but still seem to be the case.

Hemi's seem to have about a 150k lifespan.. even in simple daily driver. The pentastar is working overtime in taxi's and LE vehicles over 200k.

You will get those special engines that were built on a monday per se but overall the 3.6 will outlast them.

Last edited:

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
This was an old statement but still applicable regarding diesel vs gas.

Modern gas engines do not share the awful maintenance schedule of their ancestors - no points, no rotors, no coils, no plug wire changes, 100k+ miles plug life, avg of 6000 mile recomended oil change intervals or better - some 10k miles, and they beat the heck out of a modern diesel. I oversee a mixed fleet, and truly, the diesels are an expensive pita, only justified when a gas engine isn't up to the task, like frequent heavy loads, frequent heavy towing or massive annual milage. Furthermore, the modern diesels often lack some of the reliability of the old diesels, the "git home" features, like the ability to run w/o the alternator, the ability to run on only the mechanical pump, the ability to run witout the turbo... Now its computers, particulate filters, urea tanks, BlueDot (something like that,) egr sensors, in tank pumps, high pressure fuel rails all eating into the once renowned diesel relability though some also making diesels easier to live with, cutting noise, smoke and grit, flattening early but peaky torque curves, adding higher rpm capability and HP....

Socks

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Wrangler JK Rubicon Hardrock
The 3.6L is available with a manual and 4.10 or 4.88 gearing. I've had a TJ with 4.0L and 3.07 and 3.73 gearing, an XJ with 4.0L and 3.73 gearing, and a JL with 3.6L and 4.10 gearing. I've just ordered another JL with 3.6L and 4.88 gearing. The 3.6L is a better engine than the 4.0L, and I thought I'd never say that.
I was messing around on Jeep's Build and Price site. Didn't realize that you could get the 4.88 gears on a 2-door Rubicon with the 3.6 liter /6-speed manual. Definitely has peaked my interest in a manual again. Will NOT do an e-Torque or a 2.0 liter. Had a 3.6 and manual in a JK Rubicon Hardrock 2-door and a Gladiator Mojave. Miss my Jeep bad! Now to find a dealer that won't try and bend me over. So far not found one in Indiana.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
@Socks Got my JLR for $5.5k off sticker (6% under invoice, more or less). There is a recommended dealer list somewhere on the forum.

Sponsored

Socks

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Socks Got my JLR for $5.5k off sticker (6% under invoice, more or less). There is a recommended dealer list somewhere on the forum.
I checked with Susquehanna Jeep out of PA. They gave me a great price. I was trying to stay in state but it looks like that won't happen. I love the 3.6 liter too. And the new 6-speed manual is a lot better than the old 6-speed manual in the JK's.

Socks

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just emailed Koons Jeep with my build. Went all the way. Even half doors with premium upers. High Velocity Yellow. Forever Jeep this time.

KDB

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 Door JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Yep, grunt form just off throttle. 14 MPG and always close to overheating here in South Texas. But great engines in their time. I believe it could have been improved, but Chrysler didn't want to mess with it when they just could pull the wheezing 3.8 off the shelf. It would have been interesting if Chysler built a new generation of the 225 slant 6 though. That was a great inline engine.
My first car was a ‘72 Plymouth Duster with a 3 speed MT paired with the 225 slant 6. Loved that car and the motor!

The_Skyo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 6 spd 4.88
bummed I didnt know about the 4.88... I would lose my deposit and spot if I were to re-order so I'll just make do with the 4.10
I am in D since October and just added 4.88 to my order two weeks ago. They claim it won't affect my place in line since the VIN hasn't changed.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
I didn't realize you could make changes after the VIN was assigned, that's great.

Sponsored

Lightguy

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Xtreme Recon Sting Grey
Love the 3.6, waiting on my 3rd one! First was a 2016 JKUR loved it ran, like a top. Traded for a 2021 JKUR with a small lift & 35’s, loved it. (it’s the one in my bio) The 3.6 handled everything except a car that went through a red, totalled. So now waiting on an Xtreme Recon with 3.6 & 4.56…can‘t wait.

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys Xtreme Recon 2022 Ford Bronco
I checked with Susquehanna Jeep out of PA. They gave me a great price. I was trying to stay in state but it looks like that won't happen. I love the 3.6 liter too. And the new 6-speed manual is a lot better than the old 6-speed manual in the JK's.
How much under Invoice are they? I was thinking of calling them.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Not sure what you mean about the six speed. The JK never had problems with clutches exploding.

Socks

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not sure what you mean about the six speed. The JK never had problems with clutches exploding.
By the way the two transmissions shift. The JK shifted more like a truck. Longer throws, reverse in the wrong place. JL /JT is more like a sports car shorter throws and shift pattern was changed. I've had both.
Sponsored