Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
More satire:

mock urban dictionary entry:

"Where are my window controls?!"

Definition: The act of attempting to open your wife's sedan windows by pressing the make believe controls below the radio several times until you realize, "oh yeah, they're were they're suppose to be in this car."
Sponsored

Hazelwood7

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Red JL Rubicon V6
You live near an In and Out burger. That makes for it. We are deprived of it on the easy coast.

kjone013

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 JLUR MOJITO! (3.6, auto, loaded)
Occupation
Army
So my complaint isnā€™t the windows controls as much as the lock controls on the driver door. Itā€™s a nice day out and decide to take the doors off and then need to open the tailgate. Well then key wouldnā€™t work to unlock while the Jeep was running on the JK. So question is - does the JL key fob work to unlock the tailgate with doors off and Jeep running.

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
So my complaint isnā€™t the windows controls as much as the lock controls on the driver door. Itā€™s a nice day out and decide to take the doors off and then need to open the tailgate. Well then key wouldnā€™t work to unlock while the Jeep was running on the JK. So question is - does the JL key fob work to unlock the tailgate with doors off and Jeep running.
Yes - fob and prox both work while engine is running.

OP
OP
Ravager

Ravager

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon Granite Crystal Metallic Station Wagon
Vehicle Showcase
Satire

;)I've chosen to go with my wife's rationale.

"Center console access to be able to shut your !@#$%^ window when I'm too cold is about the only thing that allows me to tolerate this bottomless pit; this black hole of spending and time that you call a hobby/lifestyle!"

#wranglerwidow > #footballwidow

Serious: I completely agree that the tech is there to put it all in the door now but it's part of the brand legacy. Think about it. How many of us lower the windshield? Better still its origins had everything to do with crating the rig to the enemy lines in WW 2, and little to do with off roading or the open air experience.

#ItsAJeepThing
Not picking on you Russ, I just hit reply here.

To further beat this dead horse, yes, I appreciate throwbacks. But power windows weren't installed on the old war-era jeeps. While we're in WWII and Korea, the starter was near on the floor and you pushed it with your foot. Where is that throwback? Where is the wire cutter on the front bumper? How about a .50 cal? Civilians don't need them and there are modern solutions that make the jeep better and/or more accessible.

As for 'bitching', it takes a simple-minded person to not value criticism for what it is. That's ignorant thinking and while apologists continue blindly supporting the brand, you get vehicles which are years behind other SUVs at their price point in electronics, comfort, and utility. If we don't bring up the nitpicky crap that is undesirable FCA will never improve the jeep.

My prediction is the doors WILL have controls before the JL ends its run.

Sponsored

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Not picking on you Russ, I just hit reply here.

But power windows weren't installed on the old war-era jeeps.
You're right. My throwback here was, metaphorically speaking, not a very far "toss." I was referring to the JK, at least as it regards the power window switches. I should have made that clearer.

While we're in WWII and Korea, the starter was near on the floor and you pushed it with your foot. Where is that throwback?

Maybe I should answer this way; it's going to sound a lot like I work for FCA; I don't. The JL incorporates some of the latest technology in all aspects of its being, from creature comforts to drive train to engine, etc. The throw backs are things like the grab bar above the glove compartment (interesting enough a term that is itself a throwback.) By no means does, should it, or have I claimed that large aspects of every incarnation of the Jeep, from the original WW 2 Jeep, to CJ, TJ, and JK have been maintained, because they haven't, and often for good reason.

Where is the wire cutter on the front bumper? How about a .50 cal? Civilians don't need them and there are modern solutions that make the jeep better and/or more accessible.
..not to mention that ownership of such active munitions probably isn't lawful....

I disagree with nothing you've said. I only question you're point. It seems like it would be a fair retort against someone claiming that the Jeep has lost none of its original DNA since inception; which by no means is my claim. It has. It should.

As for 'bitching', it takes a simple-minded person to not value criticism for what it is.
And here again I agree that complaint encompasses a broad spectrum from completely justified, to rational, to nuts. People in Flint Michigan have every right to complain about and demand safe drinking water. The spoiled people where I live suggesting the new library have an entry chandelier: not so much.

That's ignorant thinking and while apologists continue blindly supporting the brand, you get vehicles which are years behind other SUVs at their price point in electronics, comfort, and utility. If we don't bring up the nitpicky crap that is undesirable FCA will never improve the jeep.
Here again I agree, as I have also been a proponent for the single most effective method of FCA staying on their toes: competition.
My prediction is the doors WILL have controls before the JL ends its run.
And I respect that. I doesn't matter much to me. My wife's comments are fictitious. That was satire, clearly posted as such, and the kind of thing, interesting enough, that technology addresses, with dual climate zones. (My wife doesn't complain about temperature much, as sure as if she did, I would respect her needs. The point was to make people laugh.)

I predict you're wrong, and I can be entirely wrong. I say this because FCA is in an ever constant tug of war between attracting customers with cutting edge features, while not abandoning their historic core, who think a "top" is an option.

OP
OP
Ravager

Ravager

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon Granite Crystal Metallic Station Wagon
Vehicle Showcase
I predict you're wrong, and I can be entirely wrong. I say this because FCA is in an ever constant tug of war between attracting customers with cutting edge features, while not abandoning their historic core, who think a "top" is an option.
Okay, then I'm safe for a few years until the JM comes out. I'll owe you a coke if they don't though.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Op is ignoring the obvious answer that has already been stated here. Removing the front doors only in a 4 door would leave you without window controls.

Last edited:

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Op is ignoring the obvious answer that had already been started here. Removing front doors only in a 4 door would leave you without window controls.
I think you're saying that removing the driver's front door, with its master window controls for all windows would leave you stranded in the manner you describe. If so, that's an excellent point and I suspect much of the motivation for making and keeping this interior window control design.

StrikeZ

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
It took me a little while to get used to window controls. But more of an adaptation over annoyance for me. Lots of buttons in the middle of a Rubicon, kinda like a fighter jet -

Sponsored

PEABUDY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR GRANITE CRYSTAL
Vehicle Showcase
Knew this would happen soon. The JL has opened up some new doors and getting sold to people that are caught up in the Jeep craze. They would probably be served better by a Ford Explorer but want to be part of the Jeep culture. Nothing wrong with that except they are not used to the utilitarian parts of a Jeep that FCA wants to keep as part of the jeep dna. Another reason why you see posts that my Jeep does not ride nice or my steering is different. It's a Jeep thing is still true.

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
They could easily put the window switch in the doors but don't for two reasons. First is tradition, the second is how thin the doors are. They are more narrow than most other cars. A window switch would require a thicker and longer arm rest. Putting them in the doors would generate far more complaints than we already have here.

Personally I like them where they are, it adds to the unique character of the jeep. Kind of like how Porches have the ignition switch on the wrong side.
Ahem...correction... Porsche has the ignition switch on the LEFT side, not the wrong side. ;)