NathanG

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
They could easily put the window switch in the doors but don't for two reasons. First is tradition, the second is how thin the doors are. They are more narrow than most other cars. A window switch would require a thicker and longer arm rest. Putting them in the doors would generate far more complaints than we already have here.

Personally I like them where they are, it adds to the unique character of the jeep. Kind of like how Porches have the ignition switch on the wrong side.
Sponsored

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
it’s the same switch position whether 2 or 4 door. Some people with kids, dogs, whatever, only remove the front doors and leave the rears on. Where it is works fine.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
...... When I'm ordering a combo #1 - double double with a coke at In N Out burger, I have to look away from the road to find to lower the window. .....
Um.... but in this scenario you're in the drive through, not on the road. So you have to look away from the car that you're stopped behind waiting to order, not away from the road. ;)

Seriously though. I get what you're saying, but it's a matter of perspective. The switches on the door are only the natural location if you had gotten used to driving something other than a Jeep first. If you had started in a Wrangler, then all other cars would feel awkward, and you'd have to look at the door to find the button. Who's to say which location it right? Either will feel natural and should not require you to look if that's what you're used to.

Power lock button is there though along with the mirror controls
True, but the the mirrors come off with the front doors. You can leave the back doors on, and still control those windows with the switches in the center. No need for mirror controls with no mirrors, and I don't see a need to lock a Jeep with no front doors. If you do want to lock it though, you could lock the back doors and tailgate with fob or proximity lock on the tailgate handle.

They could easily put the window switch in the doors but don't for two reasons. First is tradition, the second is how thin the doors are....
I suspect these are the two actual reasons. "It's a Jeep thing" probably being the biggest. Followed closely behind by trying to keep the door as slim as possible.
One of the things I like about the Wrangler is that the thin doors really seat you close to the edge of the vehicle. In tight spots that allows you to get a better view of what you're next too, without having to lean over and/or leave the seat. I would assume this is a very important trait for people who rock crawl.

KDB

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 Door JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Jeeps should not have electric windows ... or even the doors they come with.

There. I said it. :devil:

Give me a half door with a pop out window. .
Agreed, I went from a '09 Sport S to a '18 JL Rubicon as I wanted to upgrade to all that the Rubicon has to offer as far as off road features. When building the jeep (ordered in April) I would have picked no power locks or windows and half doors in a heart beat if all were available on a Rubicon

OP
OP
Ravager

Ravager

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon Granite Crystal Metallic Station Wagon
Vehicle Showcase
upload_2018-12-24_8-40-27.png

Another cry baby post...you should’ve bought a base model with roll down windows.

There we go!! I knew there's at least one of ya out there! Well done!

Sponsored

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Agreed, I went from a '09 Sport S to a '18 JL Rubicon as I wanted to upgrade to all that the Rubicon has to offer as far as off road features. When building the jeep (ordered in April) I would have picked no power locks or windows and half doors in a heart beat if all were available on a Rubicon
That's simple enough to fix. Order some aftermarket half doors, and sell the stock set. I get what your saying, that you would have preferred it as a OEM configuration, but the aftermarket's got you covered.

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
That's simple enough to fix. Order some aftermarket half doors, and sell the stock set. I get what your saying, that you would have preferred it as a OEM configuration, but the aftermarket's got you covered.
Or swap them with someone that has manual windows and locks. I’m sure they wouldn’t be delighted to have the upgrade and I’m sure the wiring is doable

Brett

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Good point. It may be a little work for them, but for Kevin it would simply be trading doors. For someone looking to upgrade to power windows/lock it would likely save them a pretty good amount of money by have pre-wired doors. Great idea.

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport HT 2.0T Auto, 2003 TJ Rubicon HT
Vehicle Showcase
No switches, locks, mirror controls in my doors. No connectors to mess with to remove doors, no up down window switch dance to get window where desired. Less stuff to break. You pay for options twice........once when you purchase and again when they malfunction. I wasn't really interested in all the uconnect hoopla either....Having had a Dodge Challenger and seeing all the nightmares on the Challenger forums.

The 8" radio with integrated satellite crap allows FCA to send out over the air updates to your vehicles computers.
Imagine FCA sending you a beta performance update that happened to be buggy, and now all the performance features of your vehicle no longer work as designed. It happened. You wanna talk about a whole bunch of pissed off owners.

Sponsored

KDB

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 Door JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Good point. It may be a little work for them, but for Kevin it would simply be trading doors. For someone looking to upgrade to power windows/lock it would likely save them a pretty good amount of money by have pre-wired doors. Great idea.
@rustyshakelford & @Shots, all great ideas. Hoping that by summer of 2019 there are decent half doors available for the JL. I want something that looks “stock” with inside panels and all so hoping Mopar comes out with something sooner rather than later. If so, I may very well indeed try to trade the power doors for a manual set. With a soft top I never really lock the Jeep anyway. No sense to that as I never keep anything of value in there either. Hell, in the summer I’m running without windows and doors anyway, full doors are simply for keeping the weather out in the winter months.

I don’t plan on ever trading in or selling this Jeep either so I’m not too worried about resale value and am willing to take that hit, it’s a Jeep thing I guess :rock:

Paluss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
They could easily put the window switch in the doors but don't for two reasons. First is tradition, the second is how thin the doors are. They are more narrow than most other cars. A window switch would require a thicker and longer arm rest. Putting them in the doors would generate far more complaints than we already have here.

Personally I like them where they are, it adds to the unique character of the jeep. Kind of like how Porches have the ignition switch on the wrong side.
Porsche does it based on old start racing procedure when you had to run to the car to start the race, with ignition on left you can start the car and put it in gear at the same time, I guess every little advantage counts In racing....

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
The real question is why do you have to look at the switch to roll your windows up and down?

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I welcomed all the improvements made to the JL. You know the ones. Albeit a lot of them rely on software to run correctly. While not perfect, this iteration fills my needs perfectly, however, I do have a quibble.

Why are the window controls still on the center console? When I'm ordering a combo #1 - double double with a coke at In N Out burger, I have to look away from the road to find to lower the window. Then again to raise it - holding the danged button all the way up because there's no auto-up. There were weight reductions and ergonomic improvements to the door. With all the improvements that make this a modern vehicle, it's weird they didn't flip the controls to the door.

You think FCA are holding some improvements back?

This is my fourth Wrangler, so no, I won't order a jeep with roll down doors. I'm not here for nostalgia.

I'm ready for your snarky comments now.
Satire

;)I've chosen to go with my wife's rationale.

"Center console access to be able to shut your !@#$%^ window when I'm too cold is about the only thing that allows me to tolerate this bottomless pit; this black hole of spending and time that you call a hobby/lifestyle!"

#wranglerwidow > #footballwidow

Serious: I completely agree that the tech is there to put it all in the door now but it's part of the brand legacy. Think about it. How many of us lower the windshield? Better still its origins had everything to do with crating the rig to the enemy lines in WW 2, and little to do with off roading or the open air experience.

#ItsAJeepThing
Sponsored