Ravager

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon Granite Crystal Metallic Station Wagon
Vehicle Showcase
I welcomed all the improvements made to the JL. You know the ones. Albeit a lot of them rely on software to run correctly. While not perfect, this iteration fills my needs perfectly, however, I do have a quibble.

Why are the window controls still on the center console? When I'm ordering a combo #1 - double double with a coke at In N Out burger, I have to look away from the road to find to lower the window. Then again to raise it - holding the danged button all the way up because there's no auto-up. There were weight reductions and ergonomic improvements to the door. With all the improvements that make this a modern vehicle, it's weird they didn't flip the controls to the door.

You think FCA are holding some improvements back?

This is my fourth Wrangler, so no, I won't order a jeep with roll down doors. I'm not here for nostalgia.

I'm ready for your snarky comments now.
Sponsored

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Hey at least they put front grab handles on the thing where previously there wasn’t and they don’t require software to use them! Haha

That’s about all I got lol

Your question is very common amongst the community so you probably won’t get too many snarky answers here.

At the end of the day it is what it is brother take it or leave it!

Sponsored

flot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU 392
There is an easy answer to this. They aren't on the doors because you can take the doors off.

First, there would be a rats nest of wiring on the driver's side door to control all the others, which you'd have to disconnect every time you took that door off. And second, if you took off the driver's door (or driver's and passengers front doors, which isn't uncommon) you'd lose the ability to put down the other windows.

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
There is an easy answer to this. They aren't on the doors because you can take the doors off.

First, there would be a rats nest of wiring on the driver's side door to control all the others, which you'd have to disconnect every time you took that door off. And second, if you took off the driver's door (or driver's and passengers front doors, which isn't uncommon) you'd lose the ability to put down the other windows.
Power lock button is there though along with the mirror controls

Brett

flot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU 392
Power lock button is there though along with the mirror controls
Do you really need to lock the other 3 doors if the driver's door is removed?

I'm not saying it is impossible to do, but in terms of keeping it simple, it makes sense to leave the window controls off considering that the door is removable.

I'm surprised at the lock control on the doors, since some other brands put lock controls on the dash - but power mirrors would be a similar issue - there would be at least 5 wires (ground, + up, +down, +left, +right) to control the mirror which doesn't lend itself to a removable harness, vs 2 wires (power and ground) to leave the switch in the panel.

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
Do you really need to lock the other 3 doors if the driver's door is removed?

I'm not saying it is impossible to do, but in terms of keeping it simple, it makes sense to leave the window controls off considering that the door is removable.

I'm surprised at the lock control on the doors, since some other brands put lock controls on the dash - but power mirrors would be a similar issue - there would be at least 5 wires (ground, + up, +down, +left, +right) to control the mirror which doesn't lend itself to a removable harness, vs 2 wires (power and ground) to leave the switch in the panel.
You said the reason they don’t is because there would be a rats nest of wiring. They already have wiring. I don’t get why the window control isn’t on the door. There is already a harness you have to unplug when you remove the doors as it is.

Brett

Sponsored

Bleep

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2015 FIESTA!
Not sure how it is on an automatic, but on the manual, when in first gear I almost have to contort my hand around the shifter to get to the window control. Odd. 99 percent of the time I'm putting the window down when I'm in first gear, at drive throughs and such.

OP
OP
Ravager

Ravager

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure how it is on an automatic, but on the manual, when in first gear I almost have to contort my hand around the shifter to get to the window control. Odd. 99 percent of the time I'm putting the window down when I'm in first gear, at drive throughs and such.

Auto driver here...so you say it's a conspiracy against us!!

OP
OP
Ravager

Ravager

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

No, no, no. There's plenty of room.

I would accept this 15 years ago. There's no way it won't fit in the door now. My theory still stands, it'll be there on a future release.

Zazoh

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Sting-Gray
Occupation
Software Engineer
Jeeps should not have electric windows ... or even the doors they come with.

There. I said it. :devil:

Give me a half door with a pop out window. The sport should have the rubicon soldiness and the Sahara should be the lawyer Jeep.

There. Snarky enough.
Sponsored