Sponsored

I love my Rubicon - it’s AC, not so much...

JJSix

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2016 Dodge Caravan
Occupation
Military
Vehicle Showcase
I live in Vegas and it's been 110-115 here the past couple weeks. It's brutal the the JL A/C definitely has trouble keeping up. My old Toyota FJ was about as good a desert vehicle as I think you could ever find. The short, vertical windows keep a lot of the sun out and they were a lot like a Jeep's windows as far as that goes. I bet a headliner would make a noticeable difference so I'll probably try that out before too long.
I feel that life, down in Tucson and the temps are about the same. My JLUR mostly keeps up until about 110, then it starts getting rough even with the max A/C mode. I have the SOT and the best I've found is running with it open (I have the spiderwebshade as well) and then running the A/C to my feet. Doesn't let the heat build up and is fairly decent for 115 outside.
Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Okay so I really have zero complaints about the Rubicon and am still kicking myself for not buying one a long time ago (better late than never though right? ;)), but I have to say that the AC is just not doing it for me... I’m not one to leave well-enough alone, so I’m thinking about a nuclear solution here - all windows with ceramic tint (second layer on the back/hardtop), and then some sort of headliner whether that’s Mopar or hotheads or a diy if I ever get some free time... Having a black Jeep with black interior, I didn’t expect the headliner-less factory setup to be awesome in the comfort department, but I also didn’t expect my car to be an easy bake oven every time I left it out of the garage either... I‘m pretty active (this Covid/gym closure situation is killing me) and sort of a walking furnace anyway at 6’2” 205lbs - so I typically just roll down the windows for rapid cooling to help the AC but with my three girls, I want to make sure they don’t melt (particularly the young one). Any other suggestions outside of the tint and headliner? Thanks as always and in advance for your input!
I would take it to the dealer and have them look at the HVAC software. I had to take mine in because it just wasn't as cold as my wife's Sahara was. They did something to the software which makes sure the valving/door movement goes all the way to each extreme. If it is not going all the way to cold you'll never get that arctic air. When I got it back I could feel a difference.

krucam

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Xterra, 2019 JLR ordered 12/22/2018
Occupation
FAA
I have zero issues in DFW, TX & I have a soft top...just saying...

Pourboire

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
There have been many posts on this issue ...I actually love the AC it cools down the Jeep pretty quick for me ...mine is a 2 door not sure if that is why? As I said there are two camps those that the AC is great and those that are not. I think everything you stated will def help, have u taken it to the dealer to have it checked..maybe it needs coolant?
The jet engine noise from the air conditioner has been an ongoing issue. The
noise doesn't bother me (2 door soft top), it cools great and I can't hear it in
the inside. I reside in Arizona where the temperature today will be 114. This is
a hot state and air conditioning is a way of life. The important thing is that it cools.
If you want noise, listen to my 2007 Acura MDX from the outside, its on par with the JL.
My 2014 BMW X5 is almost as noisy. I will take cool over outside noise anytime.

InMyImage

First Name
Bill & Britt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon JLU
Remote start with climate control set to start when the Jeep starts.

Use the Uconnect app to start it when you can’t use the FOB because of distance or building interference.

Sponsored

Will_Jeep

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2108 JKU Sahara, Black 2016 Mercedes CLS400
Vehicle Showcase
One you get the tint done on the front windows, if you don't want to do the windshield, this is a great option:
Windshield Sun Shade Compatible with Jeep Wrangler Gladiator JL JK Wrangler Rubicon Toyota Fj Cruiser Front Window Accessories XS
by A1 Shades
Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0732R11Y2/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_fKbrFbMVGX7PS

The fit is awesome, and keeps things nice and cool!

me109stock

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon 6-Speed Manual; 2008 Ford F450; 2003 Porsche Boxster S
Vehicle Showcase
I cannot speak for the guys n gals with 4-door JL's but my 2-door Rubi cools great and I live in the Arizona desert...The factory headliners do help a lot and I also chose cloth seats as getting in and out a lot on the trails or on hot days are much more comfortable-especially for the ladies who typically are in shorts or skirts...Ceramic tint will also help, however I will not be doing that until I find time for the interior / audio upgrades. (Installing all leather trim except seats and upgrading the audio with JL Audio gear) When you do the ceramic tint, make sure you do the windshield as well (I did 80% on my RAM and it made a big difference and you do not even know the windshield is tinted) also find an installer who will give you a break on subsequent windshield tinting as you will need this as our windshields tend to break way too often...

I know what you mean about the ChinaFlu and gyms closing...I workout a lot and tip the scales at just under 210, had to find a 'private' gym to join or eat a lot less-I found a great private gym!
I was thinking of ceramic coating my windshield when I replace the original that is now cracked simply to help protect it from further breakage. What is your experience with the ceramic coating on the windshield in terms of adding protection from chips and cracks?

As for the A/C and tops - I've run a sunshade and doors off all summer so even in 113 degree heat (Central CA) it's been bearable.

jdegrave

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Forte, Pathfinder, JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Director Financial Systems Support & Governance
I have the soft top and a black interior and I haven't had any issues with cooling the interior on hot days (I'm here in Miami and it gets freaking HOT in the summer). That said I do disable the ESS when it get up around 90+ as it instantly starts to get stuffy in the cabin when the engine shuts off. Have you taken it to the dealer to have the AC checked?

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
I was thinking of ceramic coating my windshield when I replace the original that is now cracked simply to help protect it from further breakage. What is your experience with the ceramic coating on the windshield in terms of adding protection from chips and cracks?

As for the A/C and tops - I've run a sunshade and doors off all summer so even in 113 degree heat (Central CA) it's been bearable.

Ceramic tinting the windshield to reduce solar gain is done on the inside and will have zero effect on glass cracking / chipping. For JL's our only hope is for someone to offer thicker / heavier standard laminated glass or go with some of the newer 'Gorilla Glass' variants.
The only external windshield film I have seen was on a clients car, he was not happy with it and was having it removed. You may however want to talk to a reputable shop that does both tint and PPF for their recommendation on external windshield films...

GatorDon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
US Navy
Okay so I really have zero complaints about the Rubicon and am still kicking myself for not buying one a long time ago (better late than never though right? ;)), but I have to say that the AC is just not doing it for me... I’m not one to leave well-enough alone, so I’m thinking about a nuclear solution here - all windows with ceramic tint (second layer on the back/hardtop), and then some sort of headliner whether that’s Mopar or hotheads or a diy if I ever get some free time... Having a black Jeep with black interior, I didn’t expect the headliner-less factory setup to be awesome in the comfort department, but I also didn’t expect my car to be an easy bake oven every time I left it out of the garage either... I‘m pretty active (this Covid/gym closure situation is killing me) and sort of a walking furnace anyway at 6’2” 205lbs - so I typically just roll down the windows for rapid cooling to help the AC but with my three girls, I want to make sure they don’t melt (particularly the young one). Any other suggestions outside of the tint and headliner? Thanks as always and in advance for your input!
I did all side/rear windows with llumar ceramic and also installed the hot head headliner on my hard top. We had triple digit temps recently and the inside stayed plenty cool.

Sponsored

BroncoNS

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited
As others have said, the AC/HVAC system is pretty robust, actually, but the issue is the complete and utter lack of thermal insulation. Address that (with a headliner or other/additional means) and I think you'll see a marked difference.

Country JLU

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I felt the AC was mediocre as well in Florida 100 degree temp. I added ceramic 5% to back and sides and ceramic 30% on windshield, which helped greatly. My hotheads headliner just arrived so it’s going in this weekend.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
I had an 81 black Corvette with black interior. Besides being beautiful my distinct memory of that car was in the summer you’d just be arriving to your destination and the a/c would just be starting to win the hot/cold battle.

D37F07A3-A3D3-4307-A662-44D1E55F148E.jpeg

redracer

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4xe Rubicon
I will second the need to check the cabin filter. It gets quite dirty very fast! I'm almost to the point of changing it with every oil change.
Sponsored