I love my manual Jeep, but...

beast40

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Yes the media hub is my biggest gripe. I just run cables out of the center console now.

I'm on my second MT and I swear my 21 has a lot more power than my 18. I could never use 6th (literally never) with my 18, my 21 I used 6th often with factory tires and can still use it some with 37s.
Sponsored

Creeker

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ-7, 2020 JLR
Build Thread
Link
Love the manual gearbox on my JLR with 4.10's
Never hit the hazards while shifting.
After many mods and running on 37's, don't use 6th gear much.
Do wish Jeep offered 4.88s as a factory option.

Jeep Wrangler JL I love my manual Jeep, but... Save the Manuals 1

Jeep Wrangler JL I love my manual Jeep, but... Save the manuals 4

Creeker

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ-7, 2020 JLR
Build Thread
Link
For reference, here's a gear/tire chart.

Jeep Wrangler JL I love my manual Jeep, but... gear chart M

Would love to see a JLR on 44's
Not sure I would want to drive a JLR on 44's at 70 MPH though.

beast40

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Those charts don’t account for weight and wind. I would lean towards the blue in my experience. Doing a reregear isn’t fun or cheap.

Sponsored

jayteal

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon; 2018 JLUR; 2004 TJ
You’re running 35s on the stock rims? Loving my stick JLUR, but the 33s are too small. Using 6th is a rarity already.
315 BFGs and the 4.10 gearing handles them well. I do find 6th on the highway but am finding myself dropping to 5th more. Patiently waiting for the XR package with 4:56 gearing mated with a M/T that will supposedly be available later this year according to Jeep. That's a great combo IMO.

JDJL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L 6spd
I've never hit the hazards while shifting (of course now I'll probably do it because I just said that). I installed the auto up/down window module so the window placement isn't an issue anymore.

My only complaints are the positioning of the cup holders when in 2nd or 4th gear, and the fact that the shifter is basically located in the passenger seat due to the 4WD shifter location. This means the passenger doesn't have much elbow room because I'm hogging it all the time.

Deleted member 59098

I’ve never hit the hazards. 18k miles and I still stall for a second to try and remember where the window switches are.

jrocker

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2dr
yep, hit those hazards often enough.
I really only have issues with the window switches when that lady I'm supposedly married to tries to operate them while I'm shifting.
I'm runnin 35's (4.10 gears) and I do see 6th from time to time on the interstate.
The sweet spot is 5th gear when I'm pullin the Sea Doo.

Sponsored

#diesel

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Love shifting into 4x4 and letting the Jeep set the pace on moderate trails, rolling slow in 4Lo.

OHJeeper

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JLUS, 2008 JLUX, 2018 JLUR
Funny story related to the window switches. I came home from my 12yo son's hockey practice and parked at the top of my driveway, which is almost flat at the top and a 9% grade for the rest... and curved. I stopped and put it in neutral with my foot on the brake to roll up the windows because I just wasn't in the mood to dislocate my wrist to get around the shifter. My son was in the passenger seat playing some random game, so I said "make sure you lock the car when you get out, and don't forget your hockey bag" and then I went inside.

Two minutes later, my phone rings and it's my son. I'm like, "Why are you calling me, I'm 30 feet away?" and he says "Dad, the Jeep started rolling backward down the driveway, so I jumped into the driver's seat and found out which pedal was the brake. I'm pressing it down now, but I can't move or else it will start rolling again!"

Of course, I ran out the door and sure enough, it had rolled about 10 feet. If he had either not noticed, freaked out and jumped out, or he didn't happen to be in the Jeep at all my beloved JLUR would have been TOAST. There are a number of LARGE trees and a fire hydrant at the bottom of my driveway... not to mention a creek.

I have reminded him for WEEKS about how brave he was, and how he saved my Jeep!

OHJeeper

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JLUS, 2008 JLUX, 2018 JLUR
Love shifting into 4x4 and letting the Jeep set the pace on moderate trails, rolling slow in 4Lo.
Absolutely agree! In 4LO I usually don't even use 1st or 2nd gear (or the clutch for that matter) unless I'm rock climbing.

fknMeow

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 6SPD /20 Wrangler JL Sport (6spd) - Sold
So a couple of weeks ago I was camping in VT with my dog (husky/shepherd mix). Our last night we got rained out bad; tent got flooded, total shitshow. So I packed everything up in the jeep...it was around 1am when I finished...I figured I'd get a couple of hours of sleep in the jeep before heading home. Pup in passenger seat, me in driver's, pitch black out...I fall asleep.
All of a sudden, I wake up to frantic barking like we're about to get murdered. I'm completely disoriented, there's flashing lights, head is throbbing, trying to get to the glove box to grab my pistol...then I realized what happened; sleeping dog must've nudged the hazard lights, then lost his shit when it started flashing.

So yeah, I second the 'poor location of hazard lights' thing.

Beaching631

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited, Manual, 35" & Fuel Coverts
Pardon the click bait title. I just want to commiserate with other 6MT owners. I love it, and would order it again, but there are a few head scratchers.

1. Emergency flashers are directly in front of third gear. How many times am I going to hit that? Time will tell, but the count is rising.
2. Wrist dislocation is required for any window adjustment. If you are going to put the window controls (with the "safety switches") behind the shifter, at least make them auto up/down.

What are your thoughts? Any first-world problems I missed? Any other complaints about a brand new (or nearly new) car that you'd like to share with the internet?
-I'm almost 3 years and 17k miles in. I used to hit the hazards by accident all the time the first couple of months shifting from 2 to 3, but haven't since.
-My windows are definitely auto down, but not auto up. Haven't noticed any frustration with these.
-I wish Reverse was all the way right and down, but it's not a huge deal for me.
-I get to 6th all the time, and I don't drive very far. Maybe because I went to 35s? I will say any incline at all on a highway and I'm back down to 4th.
-One thing that was super strange is I found the key fob battery dying all the time. I park in my garage and usually just left the keys in the cupholder. I think maybe the key fob communicates all the time with the car and was draining the fob battery? I have solved this by just not leaving the keys in the car overnight.
Edits:
-YES, drink in back cup holder, phone in front cupholder so it doesn't hit the stick
-Agree with one of the other posts, reverse SUCKS uphill into my driveway
Sponsored