First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2d Gecko Gr + 2021 Rubicon 2 White
Haha on the hazards.
A few times!

On the good side it's harder to steal because their are a ton of people who can't drive them!

Oh you want to jack me?
B4 I get out and we make this a thing... Can you drive stick?

jayteal

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon; 2018 JLUR; 2004 TJ
39,000 miles with my JLUR and no real complaints. It's not your typical Jeep manual that shifts like a truck and it did take some time to get used to the short shifter. I've got 35" tires and the 4:10 gearing does pretty well - just have to remind myself the 3.6 loves higher RPMs and shifting is much smoother then. I do wish the cup holders were a bit further back when tall cups get in the way of shifting.

Lucky #7

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 6-spd Manual
I've got nearly 16,000 miles on mine since I got it at the end of September 2020. I don't hit the hazards. I do find 6th gear to be nearly useless.
I tell what I enjoy: doors off listening to the mechanical noises of the shifting of the transmission. I've been driving an automatic so long.... It's great to feel "analog" in a digital world. This transmission is good for the soul...

Deleted member 59498

I've got nearly 16,000 miles on mine since I got it at the end of September 2020. I don't hit the hazards. I do find 6th gear to be nearly useless.
I tell what I enjoy: doors off listening to the mechanical noises of the shifting of the transmission. I've been driving an automatic so long.... It's great to feel "analog" in a digital world. This transmission is good for the soul...
I noticed at the drive thru it clanks and clunks a lot more than I thought when you can hear it bouncing off building.

Sponsored

pangmaster

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Occupation
Enterprise architect
Vehicle Showcase
The short throw shifter requires very little force. I barely hold it with my finger tips. . . So no gorilla fists mashing buttons unexpectedly.
Regear helps reverse tremendously.
You know, I never really considered that a regear would help reverse, but now that you mention it... That alone might be worth the expense! I HATE backing up my driveway, which is on an incline, and curves.

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
You know, I never really considered that a regear would help reverse, but now that you mention it... That alone might be worth the expense! I HATE backing up my driveway, which is on an incline, and curves.
Yeah, mine pitches through 2 different inclines. I had it down, but after regear I realized I didn’t have to think about it anymore.

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys in Sarge Green
Occupation
truck driver
Some part of me thinks those ratios are there because they know most jeep owners, regardless of OE tire size, are going bigger.
If that were true, ratios would be lower across the product line. Adding taller tires comes with an overdrive effect that makes your tall final drive ratio even taller.

The ratios they ship with seem pretty clearly targeted at making the EPA numbers look better at the expense of driver experience, and even real-world fuel economy. On my 3.45s and 32s, I was getting the best economy driving it like a 4-speed. After I stepped up to 35s, it was no longer a game, but a necessity. I need to get the regear done soon.

JLUW75

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW
Occupation
Engineer
I wanted a three pedal Wrangler, and tried hard to like the 6MT during the test drive. It didn't take long to realize that FCA fudged any number of the details, though, ergonomics not being the least among them.

I can't say enough good things about the 850RE in my JLU, but there are still those days when I miss rowing my own.
I really like the 8-speed ZF XMSN but you only get the v6 with eTorque with that. I'm concerned about long-term reliability with that engine and much prefer the "normal" v6 with no eTorque!

OP
OP
TheDukeofLark

TheDukeofLark

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR M/T
If that were true, ratios would be lower across the product line. Adding taller tires comes with an overdrive effect that makes your tall final drive ratio even taller.

The ratios they ship with seem pretty clearly targeted at making the EPA numbers look better at the expense of driver experience, and even real-world fuel economy. On my 3.45s and 32s, I was getting the best economy driving it like a 4-speed. After I stepped up to 35s, it was no longer a game, but a necessity. I need to get the regear done soon.
See? You and your facts coming in with facts.

Sponsored

GeeGuid

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT500, Rubi
39,000 miles with my JLUR and no real complaints. It's not your typical Jeep manual that shifts like a truck and it did take some time to get used to the short shifter. I've got 35" tires and the 4:10 gearing does pretty well - just have to remind myself the 3.6 loves higher RPMs and shifting is much smoother then. I do wish the cup holders were a bit further back when tall cups get in the way of shifting.
You’re running 35s on the stock rims? Loving my stick JLUR, but the 33s are too small. Using 6th is a rarity already.

supermike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR 6 speed 2021 JLUR 392
If you interested a b&m short throw shifter I’m selling mine. $99 obo shipped in the lower 49 states.

BuyHold

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Dr Rubi, '23 JTM
I can’t speak to the window switches as I had manual windows, but that hazard flasher button is definitely in a bad spot. I was constantly hitting that. Also, who’s idea was it to mate that manual gearbox with a 3.45 axle? 6th was useless from the factory.
Jeep really did a disservice to manual buyers by putting anything higher than 4.10s in any manual Jeep (by higher gear I mean diff gearing <4.10). I wasn't in the room when they decided this but am certain that it basically had to do with incremental cost of having to substitute 4.10s into manual vehicles on assembly line when when automatics are getting 3.45s (or whatever).

I have a Rubicon MT and the 4.10s are acceptable. Could be even lower.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
Pardon the click bait title. I just want to commiserate with other 6MT owners. I love it, and would order it again, but there are a few head scratchers.

1. Emergency flashers are directly in front of third gear. How many times am I going to hit that? Time will tell, but the count is rising.
2. Wrist dislocation is required for any window adjustment. If you are going to put the window controls (with the "safety switches") behind the shifter, at least make them auto up/down.

What are your thoughts? Any first-world problems I missed? Any other complaints about a brand new (or nearly new) car that you'd like to share with the internet?
I've hit the hazards only 2 times in a year. But I agree.
The windows I haven't had trouble, but my big gripe is the media hub being so close to the shifter.
You would think they could have solved these placement issues by now...
Sponsored