Sponsored

I love everything about my JLUR except for the way it rides.

Kurtj29

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Billet Silver
Vehicle Showcase
Well, whatever. The JLUR sucks on the interstate. Short wheelbase, solid axle, big tires, vague steering, incredible wind noise, and a combination of other factors - they are just not a vehicle I want to drive from Seattle out to Eastern Washington or west to the coast - both multi-hour trips. I truely tried to make it work - 10,000 miles in 7 months but I just realized that for me and my wife - we like taking long road trips and the Jeep is not the vehicle for that. The difference between it and a full size SUV and pickup is pretty significant. It was bad enough that I was willing to take a financial hit to rectify the situation. Got a Jeep, tried it, now moving on. If you like Jeeps that is great - more power to you - but let’s not say these vehicles ride well on the interstate, they make too many sacrifices to be the great off-road vehicles they are to be good at 75mph.

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
Well, whatever. The JLUR sucks on the interstate. Short wheelbase, solid axle, big tires, vague steering, incredible wind noise, and a combination of other factors - they are just not a vehicle I want to drive from Seattle out to Eastern Washington or west to the coast - both multi-hour trips. I truely tried to make it work - 10,000 miles in 7 months but I just realized that for me and my wife - we like taking long road trips and the Jeep is not the vehicle for that. The difference between it and a full size SUV and pickup is pretty significant. It was bad enough that I was willing to take a financial hit to rectify the situation. Got a Jeep, tried it, now moving on. If you like Jeeps that is great - more power to you - but let’s not say these vehicles ride well on the interstate, they make too many sacrifices to be the great off-road vehicles they are to be good at 75mph.
Not trying to be an a$$, but if you no longer own a JL then why are you on this forum? Sounds like you have some legit feedback, just wondering.

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
Sometimes I wonder wtf people were expecting when purchasing a Wrangler. I just don’t get it. Anyone who is anyone knows it’s a rugged SUV with solid axles. I don’t understand what part of that equals to soft Lincoln towncar Highway like feel.

Firemadz

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Battalion Chief
Definitely something wrong. There are plenty of people on here that complain, and a lot of the advice is laughable. I came from an Audi Q7, and my JLUR is every bit as comfortable as that. Hard to believe there are some people on here that actually traded theirs in after less than a year. Yeah, it’s a truck frame, but the ride is still great!

Sponsored

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
Definitely something wrong. There are plenty of people on here that complain, and a lot of the advice is laughable. I came from an Audi Q7, and my JLUR is every bit as comfortable as that. Hard to believe there are some people on here that actually traded theirs in after less than a year. Yeah, it’s a truck frame, but the ride is still great!
Agreed! I knew what I was getting in to and I'm more than perfectly fine with all of it (although still adjusting to some of it). Anyone that flip-flops in under a year didn't understand the difference between a Wrangler and all the "modern" vehicles on the market.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
You keep mentioning wind noise as a major problem to you. What vehicle did you come from to get your JL? Compared to my old Jk my JLUR is much quieter and feels great on the road. I’m wondering if you were just used to very quiet vehicles or were one of the people affected by hard top malfunctions resulting in excessive wind noise.

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
I have had my JLU Rubicon for about 4 months now with just about 3,000 miles on it. It is still pretty stock except for the addition of ROAM sidesteps. I knew when I bought the Rubi, it would be a mall crawler about 90% of the time. I plan to do some trips out to Colorado during spring/summer for some off-roading, but my choices are limited locally. I honestly bought the Rubi because that has been the dream for years, and a Sahara would have cost me nearly the same to get the look and feel I was going for. I test drove Sports, Saharas and Rubicons on numerous occasions and really did not notice much of a difference in ride quality.
I was extremely excited to finally join the Jeep family, but some of joy has deminshed due to my ride quality. The Rubicon I ordered seems to have a couple of issues, but I am not sure if they will be fixed by taking it to the dealer.
First of all, I feel some decent shaking whenever I am parked. It’s almost like a constant massage, but no the good kind. I have video of a fast food bag shaking like crazy on my passenger seat, if interested. I have seen a few other have this issues@, but the answer seems to be...”learn to live with it.”
The second issue is awkward jerky shifting at low speeds with my automatic transmission. When I pull out of my parking spot at work, I often get jerked back a couple of times while going less than 10 mph in the parking lot. Not horrible, but adds to my frustration.
The biggest issue I have is with the suspension/shocks. When I bought the Rubi, the idea is that all trips would be made in this vehicle, but the ride is so rough, I am not sure I can do it. There is a highway by my home that literally causes everyone in the car to become bobble heads. I can see the front end of my Jeep shaking and bouncing up and down while a truck next to me barely does any hit get. My other car and van travel the highway with barely a blip. I have played with tire pressure, but that barely changes anything. Is this normal? Will getting a different suspension help? I am not really interested in a lift as my very short wife has trouble getting in the Jeep now. I am open to any other suggestions. I do love the Jeep, but I want to be able to use like I intended to. Thanks.
I would test drive another one so you can compare. Mine shifts smooths, suspension stiffness is relative, mine is great for a solid axle 4x4, but if you are expecting a car like ride out of a solid front axle..

I changed my front steering stabilizer to the teraflex one, and it made a big improvement (mine was one of the known defective lots numbers) on bumpy roads (way more than I had guessed it would)

Rough idle when cold in park has a tsb, have dealer check.

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
Some of you have never daily driven a 1ton Diesel lol. My Jeep rides like I’m on airbags compared to my old truck.

Also my PSI is at like 32
Ya, I had a lifted 70's 4x4 with dana 60s way back when, a trip on the highway and I was pretty sure I would be peeing blood that night lol. Solid axle leaf spring with a lift was brutal, but least it did not death wobble, coil springs are for pogo sticks lol

GraniteRubiGA

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Executive
Vehicle Showcase
Some of you have never daily driven a 1ton Diesel lol. My Jeep rides like I’m on airbags compared to my old truck.

Also my PSI is at like 32
I gave up my 2017 F350 for my Rubicon. The Rubicon is a pleasure to drive!

Sponsored

SouthernDawg

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
I, like the others agree, you need to take your JLUR to the dealer. I've never experienced any of those issues with my JLUR with the auto transmission. I've driven mine 75 MPH for a few hours at a time and had no issue. I also have a GMC 2500 HD diesel and my Jeep drives like a dream compared to the 2500. Does it drive like my wife's sedan, no, but still a great riding vehicle.

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
I traded my Buick Enclave which is probably the best riding SUV on the market it was literally more quiet then my Tesla. With that said yes the jeep is a firm ride but certainly something I can deal with for the benefits, our is not so much a daily driver more for towing behind our RV and inclement weather days. I think the biggest thing for me is the hard seats I would love to see Katskinz come up with a more padded version. Personally I think the wrangler JL is on par with most BMW in terms of hard ride ride and seat comfort.

FranklinFlyer

First Name
Stanley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Grand Cherokee Overland 2017 Jeep Renegade Limited
Occupation
Producer
I test drove three different JL.
All three were Sahara Unlimited with the same Bridgestone HT tire.
It felt like three different models.
The JL is in my eyes far from "finished".
I live in Germany and I do a lot of road trips or 6 hour drives for business.
And I talk about a German autobahn, that means 80 to 100 mph
Even the big trucks on the right lane are going 80 mph.
One JL was OK with the noise, but horrible with steering. The other steered good but was louder than a Defender etc

What I'm trying to say is, it's impossible for now, that we all drive the same JL.
I delayed buying one till 2020.

StrikeZ

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
I did not have the issues to the extent that you did. But after 7 months and 10,000 miles living and daily driving my 2018 JLUR I traded it in for a new GMC Sierra Denali full size.
P.S. - the other huge negative with a Jeep is how loud it is at 70 mph. The noise just too much on a 5 hour road trip. For me this was one of the main problems. Jeep really needs to offer a true hard top. Something that is significantly more quiet at highway speed.
Jeep does - Ever hear of the Cherokee? Understandable, not everyone is cut out for the Wrangler. When you take the roof and doors off your Denali, you may make the comparison.
Sponsored

Last edited: