Sponsored

I love everything about my JLUR except for the way it rides.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
What vehicles have you driven in the past? That first issue with the vibration is definitely not normal, and not okay. The stiff ride though, that is normal. Solid axle body on frame construction is rugged, and rough on your body.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Badger98

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Firecracker Red JLUR
Thanks everyone for the replies and suggestions. I should have also mentioned that I am getting about 13.8 mpg with city driving. I definitely expected a stiff ride when I bought the Rubi, but this feels more than that. I figured I should have it checked out, but kept convincing myself that “they won’t find anything.” I will take it in to get checked out in the next week or 2. I will post if they find anything.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Thanks everyone for the replies and suggestions. I should have also mentioned that I am getting about 13.8 mpg with city driving. I definitely expected a stiff ride when I bought the Rubi, but this feels more than that. I figured I should have it checked out, but kept convincing myself that “they won’t find anything.” I will take it in to get checked out in the next week or 2. I will post if they find anything.
They may not find anything, but there is no way they can say that it is normal. That gas mileage is incredibly low as well.

TheWingman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Firecracker Red JLUR
I would say what you are experiencing is normal, except for the rough idling. That is a cause for concern. As for your transmission, you may be feeling drive line lash below 10 mph, common on off road vehicles with big springs and big tires. My 6 spd does similar things in first gear. It can get into an oscillating motion if im not very gentle with the gas. As for the ride on the highway, it's hard to say. I would definitely take it to a dealer to have it looked over. It will put your mind at ease if nothing is wrong, and if somethings broke, they can fix it.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
My JLU Sahara rides really well even with my budget RC lift, there is some play in the steering and I do get bounced around on a windy day but going down the road in a straight light I don’t have any pulling or vibration and surly have none at idle.

OP you need to take it in and have them address your issues

Sponsored

Wrangler847

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
wrangler
I live in NY and the roads are horrible so it makes the ride even worse. I'm gonna look into the RC dual stabilizer. I have the RC 2.5 spacer lift and 35" duratracs.

Bob502000

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I have had my JLU Rubicon for about 4 months now with just about 3,000 miles on it. It is still pretty stock except for the addition of ROAM sidesteps. I knew when I bought the Rubi, it would be a mall crawler about 90% of the time. I plan to do some trips out to Colorado during spring/summer for some off-roading, but my choices are limited locally. I honestly bought the Rubi because that has been the dream for years, and a Sahara would have cost me nearly the same to get the look and feel I was going for. I test drove Sports, Saharas and Rubicons on numerous occasions and really did not notice much of a difference in ride quality.
I was extremely excited to finally join the Jeep family, but some of joy has deminshed due to my ride quality. The Rubicon I ordered seems to have a couple of issues, but I am not sure if they will be fixed by taking it to the dealer.
First of all, I feel some decent shaking whenever I am parked. It’s almost like a constant massage, but no the good kind. I have video of a fast food bag shaking like crazy on my passenger seat, if interested. I have seen a few other have this issues@, but the answer seems to be...”learn to live with it.”
The second issue is awkward jerky shifting at low speeds with my automatic transmission. When I pull out of my parking spot at work, I often get jerked back a couple of times while going less than 10 mph in the parking lot. Not horrible, but adds to my frustration.
The biggest issue I have is with the suspension/shocks. When I bought the Rubi, the idea is that all trips would be made in this vehicle, but the ride is so rough, I am not sure I can do it. There is a highway by my home that literally causes everyone in the car to become bobble heads. I can see the front end of my Jeep shaking and bouncing up and down while a truck next to me barely does any hit get. My other car and van travel the highway with barely a blip. I have played with tire pressure, but that barely changes anything. Is this normal? Will getting a different suspension help? I am not really interested in a lift as my very short wife has trouble getting in the Jeep now. I am open to any other suggestions. I do love the Jeep, but I want to be able to use like I intended to. Thanks.
I traded in a 2016 willys 2 door on my JLUR. The rubicon rides a ton better than the 2016. The 8 speed trany does do a lot of shifting but when you put the hammer down it goes like a V-8. When 4 wheeling, I shit it over to manual shift and use mostly m2 and m3, manual shift is cool. Went camping with the local 4 wheel club and put down a piece of foam in the back and just slept in the back, extra room is nice.

anesu1992

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Engineer
Silly question, but are you driving in 2H or 4H/4L?

Gadgetguru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara
First of all, I feel some decent shaking whenever I am parked. It’s almost like a constant massage, but no the good kind. I have video of a fast food bag shaking like crazy on my passenger seat, if interested. I have seen a few other have this issues@, but the answer seems to be...”learn to live with it.”
The second issue is awkward jerky shifting at low speeds with my automatic transmission. When I pull out of my parking spot at work, I often get jerked back a couple of times while going less than 10 mph in the parking lot. Not horrible, but adds to my frustration.
The biggest issue I have is with the suspension/shocks. When I bought the Rubi, the idea is that all trips would be made in this vehicle, but the ride is so rough, I am not sure I can do it. There is a highway by my home that literally causes everyone in the car to become bobble heads. I can see the front end of my Jeep shaking and bouncing up and down while a truck next to me barely does any hit get. My other car and van travel the highway with barely a blip. I have played with tire pressure, but that barely changes anything. Is this normal? Will getting a different suspension help? I am not really interested in a lift as my very short wife has trouble getting in the Jeep now. I am open to any other suggestions. I do love the Jeep, but I want to be able to use like I intended to. Thanks.
Our Sahara 3.6 has a rough idle as well.

We have a manual transmission so can't comment on that.

As far as the ride, it's a Jeep. Narrow, short wheel base, on basically a truck frame with solid axles. It's not going to ride like a car. I don't think the ride is rough at all (before or after the lift and tires). It's a lot smoother ride than my heavy duty dually pickup, but it is more bouncy and more body roll (side to side motion). The lift and tires have made this a bit worse, but I expected that. The touchy and jerky steering doesn't help, but it's my wife's and I don't drive it much. So going from my 9000lb truck with a steering gear box to the Jeep is a huge difference. Even light duty pickups are probably more car like than the Jeep as they typically have independent front suspension (and rack and pinion steering vs. gear box of a heavy duty truck).

Usually get around high 16's to mid 17's for fuel mileage and my wife has a heavy foot.

Sponsored

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
If your getting 13.8 mpg someth8ng is clearly wrong.

XJrider

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL , 2 JK’s , XJ
Bet you big money he has his tire pressure above 40psi.

Kurtj29

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Billet Silver
Vehicle Showcase
I did not have the issues to the extent that you did. But after 7 months and 10,000 miles living and daily driving my 2018 JLUR I traded it in for a new GMC Sierra Denali full size pickup. My wife shared with me that she did not like the ride in the Jeep. So that was the final nail in the coffin. We live in the Pacific Northwest and do a lot of long road trips. After a long day in the Jeep I just felt beat up and very tired - it was just not enjoyable at all.

There is no way a Jeep with its short wheelbase is ever going to have a “good” ride on the highway - especially compared to a full size pickup or SUV. It’s just physics. I love my new pickup and will continue to stay in that format - I had traded in an Avalanche for the Jeep so when back to full size pickup with the GMC - I tried the Jeep - it just did not work for me.

P.S. - the other huge negative with a Jeep is how loud it is at 70 mph. The noise just too much on a 5 hour road trip. For me this was one of the main problems. Jeep really needs to offer a true hard top. Something that is significantly more quiet at highway speed.

Update: My GMC Sierra Denali with a 6.2L V8 is showing 17.9 mpg after 1,500 miles, which is better than I got with my JLUR (high 16s) driving to work every day.

Last edited:

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
Some of you have never daily driven a 1ton Diesel lol. My Jeep rides like I’m on airbags compared to my old truck.

Also my PSI is at like 32

Gadgetguru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara
All these "short wheelbase" comments are absolutely laughable. 118" is NOT a short wheelbase. There are literally thousands of vehicles with shorter wheelbases that ride better on the highway. Just b/c it's not 135" plus like a full size crew cab with a long bed, doesn't mean it's "short".
Perhaps. I would guess that most of those thousands are low to the ground cars and don't have solid axles? My truck has a 176" wheelbase so 118 is short to me. :)
Sponsored