Sponsored

I love everything about my JLUR except for the way it rides.

Badger98

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Firecracker Red JLUR
I have had my JLU Rubicon for about 4 months now with just about 3,000 miles on it. It is still pretty stock except for the addition of ROAM sidesteps. I knew when I bought the Rubi, it would be a mall crawler about 90% of the time. I plan to do some trips out to Colorado during spring/summer for some off-roading, but my choices are limited locally. I honestly bought the Rubi because that has been the dream for years, and a Sahara would have cost me nearly the same to get the look and feel I was going for. I test drove Sports, Saharas and Rubicons on numerous occasions and really did not notice much of a difference in ride quality.
I was extremely excited to finally join the Jeep family, but some of joy has deminshed due to my ride quality. The Rubicon I ordered seems to have a couple of issues, but I am not sure if they will be fixed by taking it to the dealer.
First of all, I feel some decent shaking whenever I am parked. It’s almost like a constant massage, but no the good kind. I have video of a fast food bag shaking like crazy on my passenger seat, if interested. I have seen a few other have this issues@, but the answer seems to be...”learn to live with it.”
The second issue is awkward jerky shifting at low speeds with my automatic transmission. When I pull out of my parking spot at work, I often get jerked back a couple of times while going less than 10 mph in the parking lot. Not horrible, but adds to my frustration.
The biggest issue I have is with the suspension/shocks. When I bought the Rubi, the idea is that all trips would be made in this vehicle, but the ride is so rough, I am not sure I can do it. There is a highway by my home that literally causes everyone in the car to become bobble heads. I can see the front end of my Jeep shaking and bouncing up and down while a truck next to me barely does any hit get. My other car and van travel the highway with barely a blip. I have played with tire pressure, but that barely changes anything. Is this normal? Will getting a different suspension help? I am not really interested in a lift as my very short wife has trouble getting in the Jeep now. I am open to any other suggestions. I do love the Jeep, but I want to be able to use like I intended to. Thanks.
Sponsored

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Why dont you try going to a dealer (maybe a dealer other than the one you bought this one at) and test drive a couple of simlilar Jeeps? Now that you know what bugs you, it will be easier to tell if this is an anomaly with your Rubi or maybe Jeeps are not for you.

My Rubicon drives like a truck. That’s what I expected. Not super rough, but not like my Lexus or CRV. I also think it idles a bit rough, but so did my CRV. I’ve had no transmission shifting issues to date.

azfun

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pending Wrangler JLUR
I have had my JLU Rubicon for about 4 months now with just about 3,000 miles on it. It is still pretty stock except for the addition of ROAM sidesteps. I knew when I bought the Rubi, it would be a mall crawler about 90% of the time. I plan to do some trips out to Colorado during spring/summer for some off-roading, but my choices are limited locally. I honestly bought the Rubi because that has been the dream for years, and a Sahara would have cost me nearly the same to get the look and feel I was going for. I test drove Sports, Saharas and Rubicons on numerous occasions and really did not notice much of a difference in ride quality.
I was extremely excited to finally join the Jeep family, but some of joy has deminshed due to my ride quality. The Rubicon I ordered seems to have a couple of issues, but I am not sure if they will be fixed by taking it to the dealer.
First of all, I feel some decent shaking whenever I am parked. It’s almost like a constant massage, but no the good kind. I have video of a fast food bag shaking like crazy on my passenger seat, if interested. I have seen a few other have this issues@, but the answer seems to be...”learn to live with it.”
The second issue is awkward jerky shifting at low speeds with my automatic transmission. When I pull out of my parking spot at work, I often get jerked back a couple of times while going less than 10 mph in the parking lot. Not horrible, but adds to my frustration.
The biggest issue I have is with the suspension/shocks. When I bought the Rubi, the idea is that all trips would be made in this vehicle, but the ride is so rough, I am not sure I can do it. There is a highway by my home that literally causes everyone in the car to become bobble heads. I can see the front end of my Jeep shaking and bouncing up and down while a truck next to me barely does any hit get. My other car and van travel the highway with barely a blip. I have played with tire pressure, but that barely changes anything. Is this normal? Will getting a different suspension help? I am not really interested in a lift as my very short wife has trouble getting in the Jeep now. I am open to any other suggestions. I do love the Jeep, but I want to be able to use like I intended to. Thanks.

What you are describing is not normal, take it to the dealer. I have about 10,000 miles on our Rubicon that are mostly trips and it is a comfortable highway vehicle.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
The JL is stiff. Even my Sport was very stiff (and still is) when I got it. Noticeably stiffer than the two JKs I had. They must have really beefed up the spring rate and/or shock dampening on this new Wrangler. It does ride like a hay wagon. To be honest, it really reminds me most of my old 1992 YJ.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
What you are describing is not normal, take it to the dealer. I have about 10,000 miles on our Rubicon that are mostly trips and it is a comfortable highway vehicle.
^ This. My Rubi does none of what you describe.

Sponsored

BWWJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
When I drive on cement roads (vs asphalt) I can get just right speed on the cracks where it bounces / bobble heads. I thought if I had to do this everyday I’d get rid of it. Otherwise, definitley firm, but not uncomfortable! I came from a 5 series and i definitely miss the cruiser comfort of that!

ToolMan514

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon 4xe
I would guess you've thought of this, but how's your tire pressure? At the factory-exit 43-47 psi it's really rough and loose. Down at ~34 psi it's better. But yes, my Rubicon is also bumpy and shaky. I like that for short drives, but it gets tiring on longer trips. I also keep my seat back very upright.

Zazoh

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Sting-Gray
Occupation
Software Engineer
Something is wrong with your jeep, something broken wrong. I'd take it in for a full end to end inspection.

Wanderingwheelz

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Should have bought a Sahara. Simple as that.

The Rubicon is cool and everything if that’s what you’re into, but it’s purpose-built to climb rocks first and mall crawl second.

My 2 door Sport rides very comfortably, but I find the seats a bit firm on longer rides, but that’s a common complaint I’ve had on almost every car I’ve owned since I’m far more “fit” than the typical American is.

HoundDude

Threads
Reaction score
New Jersey (i know, i know, i'm stuck here)
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sahara
i do not know for a fact but think that tire choice could play a role here... you might research into ride quality observations when running a softer sidewall street-rated tire and see what people think.

with regard to rough idle while parked... i remember seeing a TSB in the TSB/Issues forum for rough idle. i do not know if that applies to your Jeep or if it would address your concern but you might want to look for that too.

Sponsored

mlangs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Granite Crystal
I noticed the rough ride on the local roads and highways at first but then lowered the tire pressure from 38 to 30 psi (on 315 C rated tires). What a huge difffence. Not a Lexus, but rides pretty smooth now.

XJrider

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL , 2 JK’s , XJ
You likely drove IFS your whole life, hence the hate on the ride. Get a fullsize truck , youll like the ridebetter..

albatross

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR; 1993 YJ
...I was extremely excited to finally join the Jeep family, but some of joy has deminshed due to my ride quality. The Rubicon I ordered seems to have a couple of issues, but I am not sure if they will be fixed by taking it to the dealer.....
Sorry to hear about your issues. My JLUR has a pretty comfortable ride and the transmission shifts smoothly. What you described is definitely not normal. You may way to consider hitting up @JeepCares if you dont get the assistance you need from Jeep.

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
As many others have said- there is something clearly wrong. This isn’t normal JL setup. I’ve actually gotten out of mine while it’s running because it was so quiet. You shouldn’t be checking your fillings while idling.

Jeeporama

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (JLU), 2005 Jeep Liberty
Vehicle Showcase
Wow, totally not my experience with my JLUR. Go to the dealer. Not normal.
Sponsored