Sponsored

I loosened a sway bar bolt - it's stuck 5mm undone - can I still drive?

McGilli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara Unlimited Altitude
I was loosening a sway bar bolt to install a muffler skid plate. Halfway undone it just started spinning.

I thought it would be a nut on the other side - but it's this smooth, circular ... thing... and now it just spins and I cannot tighten or loosen the bolt.

Can I drive ok until I can get this sorted?

This circular thing is a bitch to reach, up and over - can't see it... Only by holding my phone up there could I see it via this photo - barely reach in there with tools...

Jeep Wrangler JL I loosened a sway bar bolt - it's stuck 5mm undone - can I still drive? IMG_9823

Jeep Wrangler JL I loosened a sway bar bolt - it's stuck 5mm undone - can I still drive? IMG_9821

Any suggestion on how to resolve this?
Sponsored

Last edited:

AirportDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUXR, 2018 GC Trailhawk Hemi
Occupation
Aeronautics Professional
Can you get a pair of vise grips on the circular nut? If you can, looks like they would then wedge against the area around the nut and keep it from spinning while you snug it back up. I think the permanent solution is to get up in there and tack weld the circular nut back to the frame/bracket, if it's reachable.. Think you're probably safe to drive, althought it will probably rattle.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Can you weld? I had a factory welded nut break loose like yours trying to remove a rear tow hook and I, fortunately, could reach it with my welding gun. I removed the paint and put some weld there and it held 94 ft lbs torque.

It’s gonna have to be fixed anyway.

Last edited:
OP
OP
McGilli

McGilli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Can you get a pair of vise grips on the circular nut?
The one tool I don't have. Will need a small one but just ordered a set to arrive tomorrow! Thanks!

Sponsored

Ronin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2016 JK
I think that you'll be fine driving it as long as you don't constantly get into situations where you twist the sway bar, like flexing out the suspension, going off roading and such. Similar situation happened to me with a 4th gen Z28 and I drove it for a couple of weeks until I could work on it.

OP
OP
McGilli

McGilli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Second the vicegrips or wedge a breaker bar between circle nut and frame.
At this point I just want to at
I think that you'll be fine driving it as long as you don't constantly get into situations where you twist the sway bar, like flexing out the suspension, going off roading and such. Similar situation happened to me with a 4th gen Z28 and I drove it for a couple of weeks until I could work on it.
I don't like the feeling of being grounded (no off-roading) but - I'll get this resolved this week.

My main concern was if I could still drive at least... So, sounds like I'm good!

OP
OP
McGilli

McGilli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
QUESTION

Is there a reason for that circular nut?

Could I not just cut this off - and replace with a new bolt and a proper metal washer and nut?

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
QUESTION

Could I not just cut this off - and replace with a new bolt and a proper metal washer and nut?
Its easier for robots to not have to hold both sides of threaded fasteners. Why is it round? no good reason. Should have been a welded nut.

OP
OP
McGilli

McGilli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is why I was surprised in the first place when doing this install...

Go to 0:27 of this - this is what I was going by when I went down to undo the bolt this morning... Ugh...

Makes it look so easy :CWL:

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
QUESTION

My jeep was missing one bolt and the captive nut right from the factory. No evidence of it ever being installed - paint on the swaybar bracket was virgin.

I now have a bolt and standard lock nut in that position. You can get a wrench up in there to get it done up tight.

OP
OP
McGilli

McGilli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My jeep was missing one bolt and the captive nut right from the factory. No evidence of it ever being installed - paint on the swaybar bracket was virgin.

I now have a bolt and standard lock nut in that position. You can get a wrench up in there to get it done up tight.
Awesome thanks...

And in that video - it appears like he has welded nuts up there by the way he just removes the bolt... Weird...

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Awesome thanks...

And in that video - it appears like he has welded nuts up there by the way he just removes the bolt... Weird...
They are supposed to have weld in nuts in all 4 positions.

Mine was missing one completely.

It appears yours was not missing, but either the weld was missed or it broke free. That little black thing you got a picture of should have been welded in so it doesn't spin.
Sponsored