Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Santa Fe and 2023 Rubi XR 4-door
Occupation
Retired
Curious what pass is the first pic of?

I'd like to throw out Durango, CO, as an option. Beautiful area (especially during the Fall), massive number of trails in the San Juan mountains alone, access to the rest of Colorado within hours, access to all of southern Utah within a few hours, access to Arizona and the best part of the state for off-roading in a matter of hours, access to northern New Mexico's off-roading within a few hours, and very decent average highs for most of the months out of the year. You can hit the warmer climes during the heart of the winter, but overall a really solid base camp in every sense of the word. We've loved our time up there each visit and are ready to get back for another run. The beauty of this country is truly amazing, and every state has something to offer. 'merica!:flag:

IMG_4034 (Super Edit).jpg

IMG_3953.jpg

[/QUOTE
Sponsored

ObiMatt87

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JLU, 2018 Buick Enclave Avenir
Occupation
U.S. Air Force Active Duty (Retired), U.S. Air Force GS Civilian (Current)
Curious what pass is the first pic of?
That was the top of California Pass, one of the highlights of the drive that day. The views along the route, and especially here, were spectacular. Here's the Google Map link to the exact spot:

https://goo.gl/maps/vZUwKYntfmZF7aoo7

I take it from your handle that you either live in Durango or frequent there a lot?

IMG_1092.JPEG

OP
OP
Mocopo

Mocopo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLURXR
Build Thread
Link
Flagstaff/Williams area puts nearly all of those trails closer to home (aside from table Mesa which is unimpressive anyway). It also drops the high temps by a good 30⁰. I say that's a win on all fronts.
That's an option as well, but what has kept us from being too crazy about that idea is that we have young kids and we aren't a fan of the school districts in those areas. We really like Pinetop, gives you the same feel of trees and mountains, more our speed for the community, BUT not really far enough north to get us more then a couple hours closer to all those great trails.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
That's an option as well, but what has kept us from being too crazy about that idea is that we have young kids and we aren't a fan of the school districts in those areas. We really like Pinetop, gives you the same feel of trees and mountains, more our speed for the community, BUT not really far enough north to get us more then a couple hours closer to all those great trails.
We are looking for retirement property in those areas, our son is 21 now and retirement is still ~15 years out so schools obviously never entered into the discussion.

Village Idiot

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
The feds are trying to take more land away near Moab and making fee reservations required in other areas near the north side of the Grand Canyon. In this environment the odds that we get to keep accessing our public lands becomes more unlikely every year.

Sponsored

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah well.I prefer an alpine climate with cooler weather and trees.. but yeah AZ and UT are ok.

I would say anywhere in the lower 48 rockies is better, all the way to BC, Canada which imo is the prob the best close to lower 48. Canada is just another story 🤣

Desert sucks haha.. I will never live in the desert or even high desert ever again.

COJLGirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe, 2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4...
Lived in AZ for 8 years and enjoyed the time with my Polaris RZR, but, I have to say I just could not get use to the HEAT! Relocated back to Denver/Boulder area and love it.
I’m getting ready to move back to the Denver Metro area in January from Scottsdale. I’m not much of an off-roader and just need my Jeep to get me to and from Kierland Commons and Cherry Creek Mall safely…and of course, Costco. :)

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I’m getting ready to move back to the Denver Metro area in January from Scottsdale. I’m not much of an off-roader and just need my Jeep to get me to and from Kierland Commons and Cherry Creek Mall safely…and of course, Costco. :)
You will be in offroad heaven as long as you can afford the multiple jobs and 80 hour weeks required to live here.

We.get.to.adventure

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wegettoadventure.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU sport
ARIZONA is the best state in the US for off-roaders.

From Phx you have:
Table Mesa and Florence trails (< 1 hour)
Catalina Trails (2 hours)
Sedona (2 hours)
Hurricane (6 hours)
Moab (8 hours)
Ouray, CO (8 hours)
Rubicon Trail and the rest of SoCal trails (within 12 hours)

Who thinks they can beat that? (Actually I'm curious, I have a job I can work remotely and am wondering where I want to live to get the most out of my favorite hobby lol!)

Us too! We love it here. Moved from Michigan a few years ago. We will never live where it snows again. I'll take the heat over freezing any day!

Hennessey17

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport
I used to live in an apartment complex in Cherry Creek... right next to the Target and near Speer Blvd.

Sponsored

Lumis Shadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2020 JTR
ARIZONA is the best state in the US for off-roaders.

From Phx you have:
Table Mesa and Florence trails (< 1 hour)
Catalina Trails (2 hours)
Sedona (2 hours)
Hurricane (6 hours)
Moab (8 hours)
Ouray, CO (8 hours)
Rubicon Trail and the rest of SoCal trails (within 12 hours)

Who thinks they can beat that? (Actually I'm curious, I have a job I can work remotely and am wondering where I want to live to get the most out of my favorite hobby lol!)
I live in Durango CO.
<1 hour to fantastic trails!
2.5 to moab
Better than Arizona I think

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I live in Durango CO.
<1 hour to fantastic trails!
2.5 to moab
Better than Arizona I think
Oh my goodness.. do you even have to ask?? yeah you're in heaven.

I do a lot of work in SLC and the Unitas/Wasatch are nice, but NOTHING like the lower Rockies.

COJLGirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe, 2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4...

DurangoWino

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Santa Fe and 2023 Rubi XR 4-door
Occupation
Retired
Thanks, I have a house there. Picked up my Rubi today so it will be on the top of my list next summer.

That was the top of California Pass, one of the highlights of the drive that day. The views along the route, and especially here, were spectacular. Here's the Google Map link to the exact spot:

https://goo.gl/maps/vZUwKYntfmZF7aoo7

I take it from your handle that you either live in Durango or frequent there a lot?

Jeep Wrangler JL I Live In America's Off-Road MECCA! IMG_1092.JPEG
Sponsored