Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLURXR
Build Thread
Link
But you're only going North.
From UT you have all that heading South and heading North you also have WY, ID, MT, & OR within the same 8 hour window. Plus WA in 12 hours. You have almost the entire Western US within an 8 hour radius and nearly every type of terrain you can think of.

You can often outflank weather and pretty much pick your climate just with what direction you head out in and what elevation you end up at.

Spring? Head South for comfort, North & high for snow.
Summer? Head North & high for cool temps, South for hell.
Fall? South/East/West.
Winter? South. North/East/West requires a snowmobile.
The Utah argument is gaining steam!

I'll take this opportunity to note that my wife wants to move to Utah lol.
Sponsored

Deleted member 74991

Not sure South Africa is an option for me, BUT obviously international posters are welcome to show us Yankees up!
Australia looks pretty sweet when it comes 4x4 trails. The YouTube channel 4wd 24/7 shows a lot of the good trails or as they say “tracks” that they have.

OP
OP
Mocopo

Mocopo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLURXR
Build Thread
Link
Australia looks pretty sweet when it comes 4x4 trails. The YouTube channel 4w 24/7 show a lot of the good trails or as they say “tracks” that they have.
I admit I do tend to find a lot of Ronny Dahl videos interesting...

Sponsored

OP
OP
Mocopo

Mocopo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLURXR
Build Thread
Link
Cause we have no public land to speak of 😕
Ya i saw that about Texas, was really disappointed to learn how much private property there was throughout the state. Get's in the way of wheeling and hunting too.

BigFeet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2dr
Ya i saw that about Texas, was really disappointed to learn how much private property there was throughout the state. Get's in the way of wheeling and hunting too.
When I first uploaded On X I thought it was broken - no green lines anywhere close.

Arkansas looks nice... for a ten hour trip.

Stuck with the fun mud parks around here. Thank goodness I have friends and family with cool places to play. Still a five hour trip to get there, though.

Texas breaks my heart on this issue.

OP
OP
Mocopo

Mocopo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLURXR
Build Thread
Link
When I first uploaded On X I thought it was broken - no green lines anywhere close.

Arkansas looks nice... for a ten hour trip.

Stuck with the fun mud parks around here. Thank goodness I have friends and family with cool places to play. Still a five hour trip to get there, though.

Texas breaks my heart on this issue.
I just had some family move to Arkansas, and it is a possibility for us to follow. I've been watching a lot of videos of the wheeling out there to see if I can stomach it.... just a different kind of wheeling than I've ever done.

BigFeet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2dr
I just had some family move to Arkansas, and it is a possibility for us to follow. I've been watching a lot of videos of the wheeling out there to see if I can stomach it.... just a different kind of wheeling than I've ever done.
Try not to sweat it too much. You never know if there may be something that changes your outlook and priorities for the better when moving to a new place. Most likely, in ways you hadn't thought about.

I grew up in Florida, the "mecca" for all things water related. Scuba diving is my passion. I ended up in Houston, the "mecca" for company seminars and very flat land, but I'm still making my passion be something I still pursue - twice a month.

The same problem I have with Jeepn fun... still making it happen.

You'll find a way, and/or something more intriguing to fulfill your interests. Try not to dwell on the negatives, and be excited about the new possibilities.

Old and cliche, yes. I was obligated to adult today, so it might as well be you I give a positive dad speech to.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Mocopo

Mocopo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLURXR
Build Thread
Link
Try not to sweat it too much. You never know if there may be something that changes your outlook and priorities for the better when moving to a new place. Most likely, in ways you hadn't thought about.

I grew up in Florida, the "mecca" for all things water related. Scuba diving is my passion. I ended up in Houston, the "mecca" for company seminars and very flat land, but I'm still making my passion be something I still pursue - twice a month.

The same problem I have with Jeepn fun... still making it happen.

You'll find a way, and/or something more intriguing to fulfill your interests. Try not to dwell on the negatives, and be excited about the new possibilities.

Old and cliche, yes. I was obligated to adult today, so it might as well be you I give a positive dad speech to.
Thanks for the encouragement! Wherever we end up, I'm sure we'll find that version of wheeling that makes us happy! Really, it's all about being outdoors for us anyway, and getting to places most others will never see!

ObiMatt87

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JLU, 2018 Buick Enclave Avenir
Occupation
U.S. Air Force Active Duty (Retired), U.S. Air Force GS Civilian (Current)
I'd like to throw out Durango, CO, as an option. Beautiful area (especially during the Fall), massive number of trails in the San Juan mountains alone, access to the rest of Colorado within hours, access to all of southern Utah within a few hours, access to Arizona and the best part of the state for off-roading in a matter of hours, access to northern New Mexico's off-roading within a few hours, and very decent average highs for most of the months out of the year. You can hit the warmer climes during the heart of the winter, but overall a really solid base camp in every sense of the word. We've loved our time up there each visit and are ready to get back for another run. The beauty of this country is truly amazing, and every state has something to offer. 'merica!:flag:

IMG_4034 (Super Edit).jpg

IMG_3953.jpg

Cyber_Jeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
Depends on what you like. I live in Colorado and really enjoy high mountain trails, I can leave work a little early any day of the week and enjoy the sunset from the continental divide.. Not that far from Moab and the deserts of Utah either.
I like the high mountains, but you really only have access to them for 4-5 months per year. The rest of the time they are covered in snow and you have to go to lower elevations.
Sponsored