Sponsored

I laughed at all the 392 buyers! 😥 what a dummy.

dietch

First Name
Davis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sport S
Im interested to see more posts about fuel economy and daily driving the 392. If the reviews continue to track in the positive direction with mpg's above 15 or 16 and no major issues reported, then I would justify buying it one day. Who am I kidding, its all a dream at this point while im still in law school. Just happy to have a JL in the first place.
Sponsored

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
One thing to keep in mind and to also keep an eye on are gas prices. I am seeing $4 per gallon around here now. The higher they go, the more it eats into demand for v8s. There is sometimes a narrative that "the people who buy these don't care about gas prices" but I can assure you that's not the case. Back in 2008 when prices spiked, I saw my area littered with trucks and large SUVs for sale. People simply couldn't afford to drive them anymore.

With this current administrations war on fossil fuels, look for $5-$8 per gallon on premium fuel sooner than you think...Sadly, that may just be the beginning.

tjeeper

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 TJ, '24 392
I would spend $75k on a new 392 if it came with D60s, lockers and a 4:1 transfer case. It doesn't. I'm not buying an overpriced JL that I have to put another $25k in to keep from breaking things because of the extra torque.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
So, originally when the 392 became available for order, I was shocked at how many people ordered without even knowing the price. I was even more surprised when after the price was announced more people didn’t jump ship on it. Now a few short months later I’m starting to think I screwed up. This crazy car market is really starting to make 75k for the hemi look like a steal.

Am I overreacting and this car market (inflation) will settle down soon, or is the 75 thousand dollar hemi JL already a thing of the past?

Don’t get me wrong, I still think that 75k is still too much for a Wrangler. It’s still gonna drive like a Jeep and have the wind noise and creaks and rattles Jeep, but my friend is looking at maybe buying a $67,900 gladiator diesel! Seems like prices are out of control.

Let the flogging begin. 🙄 I opened myself up for it.
75K? Where are you getting a killer deal like this? Try 100K!

Mikeoso

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher
75K? Where are you getting a killer deal like this? Try 100K!
Yup. Nobody has a 392 selling at sticker, anything close. I'm seeing reports pushing 110k. Makes the 31 I paid for my S look like spare change.

Sponsored

wildallways

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Rubicon 392 2021 Ford Explorer ST
Yup. Nobody has a 392 selling at sticker, anything close. I'm seeing reports pushing 110k. Makes the 31 I paid for my S look like spare change.
I'm getting mine at MSRP. I've seen some dealers selling them under MSRP as well as dealer marking them up in some cases over $110,00. You just have to find the dealers that are not gouging their customers. Originally I passed on the 392 when they opened the order books because my preferred dealer was going to ask $20-$30K over MSRP. A week later I found a dealer with 12 allocations selling at MSRP. I jumped on it. Sure, its a lot of money. I have a Track Hawk and it was totally worth every penny. In 2-3 years, I doubt you will see a brand new vehicle of any kind with a V-8 engine. I'm buying it for the power and fun factor, as I did my Track Hawk, which I'm keeping by the way. Sure gas prices will rise and they will drop. But the gas price will be worth it due to the fun factor these V-8s bring me. As for value down the line, I believe the 392 will be a very limited production run, as was the Track Hawk. God forbid I ever decide to sell either one, but their resale value will be far more than that 3.6 Wrangler. Until then I'm going to enjoy it and get every drop of fun out of that gallon of gas...

Richtor

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST
The non 392 can run $65k plus....

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
With this current administrations war on fossil fuels, look for $5-$8 per gallon on premium fuel sooner than you think...Sadly, that may just be the beginning.
Be patient. The chip shortage will begin to abate later this summer and production will normalize. Also, this administration is hell bent on spending us into oblivion which will eventually drive a recession. All those high priced toys will be for sale a year or two from now....at huge discounts.

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Buy one because you want one and have the means. People thinking these are going to be limited and a collector as well as getting good gas mileage are living in a dream land to justify the spend. It isn’t going to be limited. Any time in the future the V8 isn’t going away until people stop buying them because something better comes out so this isn’t going to be one of the last V8’s. The gas mileage people are posting is not real life and the MPG you are going to get. If you are buying a Jeep for $85k who cares where the price of gas goes.

The people that are buying these for over MSRP are burning money but it is their money so who cares. They want it now. They want to be the first at C&C with a 392.

Sponsored

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
Cannot discount all the work from home that will be a permanent fixture for many going forward. So not needing to drive to work daily lends itself towards a 392. You drive it when you want to, not because you have to.

Kurt0

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IG Model and Influencer
they working hard to get there.

the cost of things and the rate it is increasing is a little scary. Inflation at 2% my irish ass. My last trip to the grocery store was damn near $400. The only things i got that had a nutrition label on it was coke zero, a tub of oatmeal, and my coffee creamer. Everything else was just food-food.

so despite no “product” foods, the bill was that high. Commodity prices are skyrocketing. And all these modern monetary people think its good because “the relative cost” of things goes down with inflation, but that isnt the case because wages dont peg to their inflation games.

Miloe

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I got my avatar used, 1.5 years & 16k miles ago and if you believe KBB, I can trade it in for more than I paid.
Not sure I believe KBB, but it beats being told you're upside down.

Kurt0

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IG Model and Influencer
I got my avatar used, 1.5 years & 16k miles ago and if you believe KBB, I can trade it in for more than I paid.
Not sure I believe KBB, but it beats being told you're upside down.
the state of virginia charges me an annual property tax roughly equivalent to the sales tax of their assessed value of my vehicle. I no shit got a letter from the state that “due to the covid pandemic causing a shortage of new car supply, used car prices have increased” and they taxed me more for my truck this year than they did last year when it was new. So, everyone is noticing the “increased” value. I expect, however, you wont be able to recognize that when it comes time to sell or in the event of an insurance payout is needed for a totaled vehicle.

Last edited:

CMF150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford F-150 2021 SAHARA (that my wife lets me drive on the weekends..sometimes.)
It's all based upon debt. I have never seen so many brand new $80k diesel trucks, toy haulers, side by sides, etc., in my life. Think all of these people are paying cash? I don't. I have heard stories from friends about people who have all the toys but can't afford to really use them. I think there's going to be a lot of deals in used toys in the coming years.
Yep, I'd really like to buy a boat, but I figure I can wait a year or two and get a steal on one then.
Sponsored