Sponsored

I laughed at all the 392 buyers! šŸ˜„ what a dummy.

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx-retired
So, originally when the 392 became available for order, I was shocked at how many people ordered without even knowing the price. I was even more surprised when after the price was announced more people didnā€™t jump ship on it. Now a few short months later Iā€™m starting to think I screwed up. This crazy car market is really starting to make 75k for the hemi look like a steal.

Am I overreacting and this car market (inflation) will settle down soon, or is the 75 thousand dollar hemi JL already a thing of the past?

Donā€™t get me wrong, I still think that 75k is still too much for a Wrangler. Itā€™s still gonna drive like a Jeep and have the wind noise and creaks and rattles Jeep, but my friend is looking at maybe buying a $67,900 gladiator diesel! Seems like prices are out of control.

Let the flogging begin. šŸ™„ I opened myself up for it.
Sponsored

summer4x

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
It's all based upon debt. I have never seen so many brand new $80k diesel trucks, toy haulers, side by sides, etc., in my life. Think all of these people are paying cash? I don't. I have heard stories from friends about people who have all the toys but can't afford to really use them. I think there's going to be a lot of deals in used toys in the coming years.

JRINGO77

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
So, originally when the 392 became available for order, I was shocked at how many people ordered without even knowing the price. I was even more surprised when after the price was announced more people didnā€™t jump ship on it. Now a few short months later Iā€™m starting to think I screwed up. This crazy car market is really starting to make 75k for the hemi look like a steal.

Am I overreacting and this car market (inflation) will settle down soon, or is the 75 thousand dollar hemi JL already a thing of the past?

Donā€™t get me wrong, I still think that 75k is still too much for a Wrangler. Itā€™s still gonna drive like a Jeep and have the wind noise and creaks and rattles Jeep, but my friend is looking at maybe buying a $67,900 gladiator diesel! Seems like prices are out of control.

Let the flogging begin. šŸ™„ I opened myself up for it.
If youā€™re going to spend that much on a Jeep it might as well be the 392 that thing is way cool. Like you said you can get close on a loaded diesel so from that perspective itā€™s not that crazy. Iā€™m with you though I just ordered one that cracked $51k and can hardly believe it that it cost that much or that Iā€™m about to spend that.

summer4x

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
One thing to keep in mind and to also keep an eye on are gas prices. I am seeing $4 per gallon around here now. The higher they go, the more it eats into demand for v8s. There is sometimes a narrative that "the people who buy these don't care about gas prices" but I can assure you that's not the case. Back in 2008 when prices spiked, I saw my area littered with trucks and large SUVs for sale. People simply couldn't afford to drive them anymore.

Sponsored

King Nothing

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
One thing to keep in mind and to also keep an eye on are gas prices. I am seeing $4 per gallon around here now. The higher they go, the more it eats into demand for v8s. There is sometimes a narrative that "the people who buy these don't care about gas prices" but I can assure you that's not the case. Back in 2008 when prices spiked, I saw my area littered with trucks and large SUVs for sale. People simply couldn't afford to drive them anymore.
Donā€™t remind me. I was spending $150-160 every 10 days to fill my diesel Ram

jonahgetz

First Name
Jonah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Billet Silver
I recieved my Jeep right when gas prices started climbing. :whew:

And Iā€™m only a 3.6L, I feel like a cheapskate.

JRINGO77

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Itā€™s so crazy that someone can justify $1000 car note but not an extra $10 when gas prices spike. Iā€™m related to people that are like this if they have an extra $300 a month then they can ā€œaffordā€ a $300 payment. Makes my brain itch personally living noted out like that but you only live once lol.

summer4x

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
Donā€™t remind me. I was spending $150-160 every 10 days to fill my diesel Ram
Yeah. I've never forgotten. I remember working with a guy who was complaining that it was costing him $25 per day just to get to the job site. He was driving an old Ford pickup with a big block gas motor.

summer4x

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
Itā€™s so crazy that someone can justify $1000 car note but not an extra $10 when gas prices spike. Iā€™m related to people that are like this if they have an extra $300 a month then they can ā€œaffordā€ a $300 payment. Makes my brain itch personally living noted out like that but you only live once lol.
There are some really disturbing things going on these days. I know a gal who works in job placement. She told me of a young guy who lost his job, qualified for unemployment and the extra amount the government is kicking in, then went out and bought a brand new truck and some sort of ATV. Then, a few months later his job called him back but he didn't want to go because he was making more on unemployment and wouldn't be able to pay all his bills. This stuff is nuts. I didn't even know it was possible to buy a new vehicle on unemployment.

Sponsored

OutlawBeard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Gecko Ordered 5/4/21 Delivered 8/27/21
I passed on an allocation because of not knowing a price, Honestly I dont really regret it. My JLUR I just ordered was like $20k-$22k cheaper MSRP than the 392 I would've gotten and with no discount on the 392 it would've cost closer to $28k more

OutlawBeard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Gecko Ordered 5/4/21 Delivered 8/27/21
There are some really disturbing things going on these days. I know a gal who works in job placement. She told me of a young guy who lost his job, qualified for unemployment and the extra amount the government is kicking in, then went out and bought a brand new truck and some sort of ATV. Then, a few months later his job called him back but he didn't want to go because he was making more on unemployment and wouldn't be able to pay all his bills. This stuff is nuts. I didn't even know it was possible to buy a new vehicle on unemployment.
Its just credit, the only thing that really verifies income is a mortgage loan.

jimim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 2017 Tahoe LTZ
It's all based upon debt. I have never seen so many brand new $80k diesel trucks, toy haulers, side by sides, etc., in my life. Think all of these people are paying cash? I don't. I have heard stories from friends about people who have all the toys but can't afford to really use them. I think there's going to be a lot of deals in used toys in the coming years.
yup I just looked at a boat that was brand new 2 hrs on the motor and was only 1.5 years old. Live well never even used. I asked about the title cause I was all over it. He owes more on it than he is selling it for. He also had a beautiful f350 that had at least 25 grand into it that he was selling and a few other toys. When youstart to look into a lot of toys you see people have you start to realize how in the hole they might be. I can have a lot of toys if I was putting them all on loans. Sooner or later Iā€™ll get that boat I really want. If that deal doesnā€™t happen Iā€™ll buy new next year but I damn will be buying with cash.

OP
OP
av8or

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx-retired
I passed on an allocation because of not knowing a price, Honestly I dont really regret it. My JLUR I just ordered was like $20k-$22k cheaper MSRP than the 392 I would've gotten and with no discount on the 392 it would've cost closer to $28k more
I guess I donā€™t really have any regrets either. I bought mine a little over a year ago, and at the time didnā€™t think I really got all that great of a deal. But now with everything thatā€™s going on in the car world, I donā€™t feel too bad and Iā€™m glad Iā€™m not looking now.

Its going to be interesting to see what happens With the 392. I am still hoping that a V8 in some form becomes a check the box option for any trim level, but I kinda doubt it will.