Sponsored

I laughed at all the 392 buyers! šŸ˜„ what a dummy.

SSWIM

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many
And the ironic thing is that the above dealer will in all likely hood sell it for their price.

Try and find one. Sure there are some advertised for MSRP, but go ahead and call and you will get another story. Just the game right now. A niche market that has very low inventory. Been discussed many times. If you want one right now you will most likely pay a premium. If you don't want to pay, don't. Another buyer will bite.

Sam
Sponsored

Razak77

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon
I spent 55K on my blue Ruby, and thought that was over priced. I would be interested to see flat out what the real acceleration differential is. I have a few performance mods on my 3.6 so if anyone has a 392 to race let me know. Also : why arent we waiting for the HELL CAT JEEP! that's gonna be the one.

2019RubiconNY

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Rubicon, 21 Willys, 22 Rubicon
I'm sorry but in my honest opinion, theres ZERO need for a 392 Wrangler. 90% of jeeps are mall crawlers or barely see anything remotely off road besides a dirt trail here and there. Other 10% are actually hitting trails and applying SLOW CRAWL
So where the hell do you need the 392 lol
It's looking more and more like the type of motor for the guy who wants to feel like a bad ass to those who don't know him because everyone who knows him knows he's a punk. You know what I mean? We see people like that all the time.
Kinda like those guys who go out at 40 years old and buy a Harley, new leather and say they were always bikers lol (even worse when some of those guys also throw on those full face helmets haha)

IDK man, I have a 2019 Rubi. Ordered a 22 Rubi and it's all good.
Jesus, then on the other extreme we get those same type of "want to look cool" vibe from most 4XE owners who want to SAVE lol.
One extreme or the other. Both are a joke.
Just get a dang Jeep lol

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 1972 Arctic Cat Climber, 2006 Triumph Speed Triple
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
Says the guy in a Rubicon with steps that would get ripped off on any moderate trail or tall curb.

Most people don't need a Wrangler in any way and will never utilize a portion of the capability of a Sport or Willys. It isn't a rational purchase. We get them because they are fun and highly customizable to become whatever we want them to be.

My wife really wants a 392 because she misses driving V8s. We've had several Jeeps with the 3.6, 3.8, 4.0, 5.7, and 3.0. Each one made sense for us and our use cases at the time. And we've enjoyed all of them (well, except maybe the 3.8). A lot of people were already doing the V8 swaps into the JK and JL platforms before Jeep offered it as a factory option. Much like the YJ and TJ axle swaps that were really common before Jeep offered the Rubicon package in 2003. Now you can get the goodies with a factory warranty!

My buddy has a 4xe Rubi that gets regularly wheeled, but he can do 90+ percent of his commutes on electric only and is averaging over 60mpg between fill-ups. He's saved over 250 gallons of premium fuel over the last 10k miles. Yes, he did get it to save.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Trampling down someone won't make you better than them.

Sponsored

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
Iā€™m with the guys who donā€™t get the 392. Far more power than ever needed off road, very limited top end on road (though really who would want to go 130+ in a WrangleršŸ˜³ even if they could), burns more fuel, costs more to insure AND is $$$$ more out the door. I canā€™t see it. Yeah, I get the ā€œsoundā€ and the just ā€œbeing coolā€ thing but Iā€™m way past worrying about what the cool kids do. To me the ā€œbestā€ Jeep would be a very base JL with rubber floor mats, crank windows and limited Slip or lockers. Shouldnā€™t cost but $30k max. I cannot fathom dropping 70, 80 or more k $$ on a Jeep. I have been blessed with a good career, retired, and can basically have anything I really want, but really for $100k plus you can have a Jeep AND a Vette. One to do Jeep stuff and one that will go faster, ride better and outperform any Jeep ever built on the road. Methinks when this economic bubble bursts there are going to be a LOT of folks who realize they owe thousands more on their toy than what itā€™s worth. If you really want a 392, wait 2-3 years and a lot of used ones will be on the market.šŸ˜³. Just my 2cents. YMMV

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
I used to think the 392 was dumb.

Then I realized my Jeep was dumb.

Then I realized all Jeeps are dumb.

What's the point of enjoying a V8?

What's the point of rock crawling?

A lot of things in life are dumb in their own way. Yet they make us happy. so who cares.

vegasblue

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Well, simple for me. It was a paid off JLUR or a 392 Rubicon with payments. I don't like wheeling the bank's Jeep. Besides, those "car payements" buy a lot of aftermarket goodness.

Sponsored

OP
OP
av8or

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx-retired
I'm sorry but in my honest opinion, theres ZERO need for a 392 Wrangler. 90% of jeeps are mall crawlers or barely see anything remotely off road besides a dirt trail here and there. Other 10% are actually hitting trails and applying SLOW CRAWL
So where the hell do you need the 392 lol
It's looking more and more like the type of motor for the guy who wants to feel like a bad ass to those who don't know him because everyone who knows him knows he's a punk. You know what I mean? We see people like that all the time.
Kinda like those guys who go out at 40 years old and buy a Harley, new leather and say they were always bikers lol (even worse when some of those guys also throw on those full face helmets haha)

IDK man, I have a 2019 Rubi. Ordered a 22 Rubi and it's all good.
Jesus, then on the other extreme we get those same type of "want to look cool" vibe from most 4XE owners who want to SAVE lol.
One extreme or the other. Both are a joke.
Just get a dang Jeep lol
Wow! Old thread revived! When I originally posted I was more thinking of price and profit I could have made flipping it.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe some folks made $80k this morning already... and every day. The 'mechanical' dispute is the clutch type transfer case and added weight to the front of the Jeep. Not to mention the low hanging fruit oil pan on the 392 and the powerband/gearing.

Let's face it... 392 owners aren't going to do any hardcore off-roading.

Young04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 392
I don't know. In my experience, those are usually the guys who wear tank tops and skip leg day.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Iā€™m with the guys who donā€™t get the 392. Far more power than ever needed off road, very limited top end on road (though really who would want to go 130+ in a WrangleršŸ˜³ even if they could), burns more fuel, costs more to insure AND is $$$$ more out the door. I canā€™t see it. Yeah, I get the ā€œsoundā€ and the just ā€œbeing coolā€ thing but Iā€™m way past worrying about what the cool kids do. To me the ā€œbestā€ Jeep would be a very base JL with rubber floor mats, crank windows and limited Slip or lockers. Shouldnā€™t cost but $30k max. I cannot fathom dropping 70, 80 or more k $$ on a Jeep. I have been blessed with a good career, retired, and can basically have anything I really want, but really for $100k plus you can have a Jeep AND a Vette. One to do Jeep stuff and one that will go faster, ride better and outperform any Jeep ever built on the road. Methinks when this economic bubble bursts there are going to be a LOT of folks who realize they owe thousands more on their toy than what itā€™s worth. If you really want a 392, wait 2-3 years and a lot of used ones will be on the market.šŸ˜³. Just my 2cents. YMMV
My wife and I have been lucky, made good choices, and were hard working enough to become financially set for the remainder of our lives. I really want things like the 392 JL or a C8 Vette, 911, etc.. I could just buy them outright, but two things are holding me back. First my middle class upbringing thinks both are out of my class and last, I think street racing or the like is wrong (even though I did it) and would be very temped by these vehicles to do stupid things. I'm weak and I know it. But I think it's a great time to be living in and the auto industry has never had higher performance vehicles than today.
Sponsored