Sponsored

I laughed at all the 392 buyers! šŸ˜„ what a dummy.

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
I'll probably have 28k into my 3.6 Rubi once it's all said and done. That will give me on board air, water, electricity (around 10kwh), solar, Ursa Minor top, small lift, lots of steering and suspension optimizations, lighting, sound deadenig, 37s, commas, and probably more.

Or I could have a bone stock 392. And get lower milage range. And higher insurance. No brainer which I'd prefer.
Sponsored

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
I have friends here in CO who owned the international harvester scouts back when they sold them new... they told me stories of having to backup mountain passes and flooring it to get over them full throttle.. literally having to springboard across them with a v8.
My old 4.0 in my first XJ was more than enough. When I see all this lust over 450hp cars I gotta ask why. 285/260 is more than I need and have never had the need, especially in 4 low, for anything more.

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 1972 Arctic Cat Climber, 2006 Triumph Speed Triple
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
I've bogged out in my manual 3.6 JK on 34s and 35s at high elevations in steep terrain, even in 4low (not regeared). The 3.6 was also not very happy pulling 3000-3500 lb trailers, especially in the mountains. Haven't had an issue yet on 37s with the diesel torque. It was one of many factors in deciding on the diesel. I can certainly see the appeal of the 392 for similar use scenarios.

The 4.0 in my XJs was enough too, especially with 4.56 gears on 31s and 32s, but that was also a much lighter vehicle.

As Ballaban wrote a few years ago, 300 seems like a magic number. And he makes a great argument for that, for most people, most of the time.
https://jalopnik.com/i-have-determined-the-correct-amount-of-horsepower-1821531670

Pretty awesome that we have the option of I-4, V-6, or V-8 now! Also crazy that we're regularly seeing 300+ hp out of a 4-cylinder.

Sounds like you have a nice build! I'd be curious about your final road weight, and fuel economy.

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
I've bogged out in my manual 3.6 JK on 34s and 35s at high elevations in steep terrain, even in 4low (not regeared). The 3.6 was also not very happy pulling 3000-3500 lb trailers, especially in the mountains. Haven't had an issue yet on 37s with the diesel torque. It was one of many factors in deciding on the diesel. I can certainly see the appeal of the 392 for similar use scenarios.

The 4.0 in my XJs was enough too, especially with 4.56 gears on 31s and 32s, but that was also a much lighter vehicle.

As Ballaban wrote a few years ago, 300 seems like a magic number. And he makes a great argument for that, for most people, most of the time.
https://jalopnik.com/i-have-determined-the-correct-amount-of-horsepower-1821531670

Pretty awesome that we have the option of I-4, V-6, or V-8 now! Also crazy that we're regularly seeing 300+ hp out of a 4-cylinder.

Sounds like you have a nice build! I'd be curious about your final road weight, and fuel economy.
Yes, the choice of options is very good and the ability to choose what you prefer has never been better for a Jeep. So why do some of the practicalā€” all you need mentality feel the need to disparage those of us who enjoy powerful and fun vehicles? We donā€™t care what they choose. But enjoy the choice while we can, it likely wonā€™t be too many years until we donā€™t.

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
I for one would absolutely love a 392...as long as it was in a 2-door...Needed? Of course not but sure as hell would be fun!! I have been toying with Supercharging my 3.6 JLR and still may, however I am waiting on a new TRX and that should satisfy my need for speed...

For those who took the leap and bought the 392 MomMobile (sorry guys & gals, I couldn't help the playful jab at 4-door JL's...but seriously you folks have way cool Jeep's!) I congratulate you and hope every mile brings more smiles!

Sponsored

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 1972 Arctic Cat Climber, 2006 Triumph Speed Triple
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
I for one would absolutely love a 392...as long as it was in a 2-door...Needed? Of course not but sure as hell would be fun!!
That sounds almost as scary as those Viper V-10 swapped TJs!

JeezAJeep

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Baja..2019 BMW X2
I agree, however, with a twist. I drove a billionaire for a few years. When you have FU money, here's their thought process. They buy things that others cannot have...for example, years ago he bought a very rare Porsche... a few of those Porches were already accounted for in other countries. So he bought it...when it arrived, he did not even pick it up....his friend did. My point is this...people will buy something just because they could...so to each his own. Long winded, but I hope you all get the point.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
I'll probably have 28k into my 3.6 Rubi once it's all said and done. That will give me on board air, water, electricity (around 10kwh), solar, Ursa Minor top, small lift, lots of steering and suspension optimizations, lighting, sound deadenig, 37s, commas, and probably more.

Or I could have a bone stock 392. And get lower milage range. And higher insurance. No brainer which I'd prefer.
Yep... a 392 would actually be a worse decision even if your 3.6 and the 392 were the same price to start! lol

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
I agree, however, with a twist. I drove a billionaire for a few years. When you have FU money, here's their thought process. They buy things that others cannot have...for example, years ago he bought a very rare Porsche... a few of those Porches were already accounted for in other countries. So he bought it...when it arrived, he did not even pick it up....his friend did. My point is this...people will buy something just because they could...so to each his own. Long winded, but I hope you all get the point.
Yeah. Though I have a friend who is a billionaire and you'd never know... dude is a cheap ass (appears as one to onlookers).
Sponsored