Sponsored

I Just walked away from 4.7% Back of Invoice on JLUR

I thought I read/saw in some threads here that 7-10% behind invoice should be doable. I offered -7.5

• Total voters

Indio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Jeep TJ, 1985 Jeep CJ-7, 1972 Series III Land Rover
Occupation
Procrastinator
It never hurts to walk... wait till the bronco comes out . They’ll make you a better deal .
Will be interesting to see the impact. Currently Wrangler is the only game in town for an open top rugged 4x4. I wonder how much having a possible alternative in the new Bronco will impact the Wrangler market and prices.

Revolution_322

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Rubi White
Will be interesting to see the impact. Currently Wrangler is the only game in town for an open top rugged 4x4. I wonder how much having a possible alternative in the new Bronco will impact the Wrangler market and prices.
You wont see anything from FCa as far as MsRP wars but dealer holdback and supply side incentive will be increased trust
Me. You wont hear it from the guy on the lot but it will be there because ford is going to price this very competitively .

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
OP: I am with on the adaptive cruise control; it’s a gimmick.

FYI - you can add leather for about $1,000 to $1,200 (parts and labor) afterwards.

While $1,000 sounds like a lot, let’s not lose sight that Jeep wants $1,500 for the same. Granted, factory leather includes a rear center armrest, and adds the leather covered dashboard on Saharas. But they are identical otherwise.

Not having leather as a requirement may open up few more options for you.

I am in the process of getting Katzkin leather installed on my JL. My Sahara already came with the leather covered console armrest and door panels, so I’m just adding the seats. I should be able to report how it looks tomorrow.

OP
OP
bravelion

bravelion

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Real Estate Investor
OP: I am with on the adaptive cruise control; it’s a gimmick.

FYI - you can add leather for about $1,000 to $1,200 (parts and labor) afterwards.

While $1,000 sounds like a lot, let’s not lose sight that Jeep wants $1,500 for the same. Granted, factory leather includes a rear center armrest, and adds the leather covered dashboard on Saharas. But they are identical otherwise.

Not having leather as a requirement may open up few more options for you.

I am in the process of getting Katzkin leather installed on my JL. My Sahara already came with the leather covered console armrest and door panels, so I’m just adding the seats. I should be able to report how it looks tomorrow.
Thanks, that's good info as well. Dropping the $995 wheels/tires AND leather would work if I switch to the ordering route. I'm currently playing around with different zipcodes on the Jeep site to see if there are markets where the ACC is more commonly added to units with basic 24R.

Sponsored

BullMoose1776

First Name
Bull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
I think it all depends on the "fun factor". Toyota could have put a dent in the Jeep market with the FJ Cruiser if they'd only made it a convertible or removable hardtop.

Also important to ask what niche is Ford trying to fill, or are they simply trying to take market share from Jeep.

So far, the only 2 differentiators I've seen are the doors and the front IFS.

But from the camo'ed pics I've seen it looks like a Ford flex. And that is super disappointing.

Jeep Wrangler stands alone in the Marketplace. They neutered the Defender, and that was the only other competitor.

I guess 4Runner is in the same category as the Wrangler, but I didn't even consider buying one.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
The majority of dealerships won't touch 7.5% off invoice and will be fine with letting you walk.

The only 10% off invoice is Criswell on leftover stock from 2019s.

You will need to search around to get close to where you want the price, may or may not be realistic.

The pricing map is outdated, many of the dealerships don't meet what is shown on the map.
I totally agree.

The pricing map is outdated.

Unless there is extra rebate money, a true 7.5% off invoice is definitely tough in 99% of the market. Take into consideration there are 2500-2900 Jeep dealers nation wide and only a few are truly offering a honest 7% below invoice with a reasonable DOC fee. IL just raised the DOC fee to $300 as of 1/1/2020 by the way. That number of actual dealers goes down even more when you take into consideration some have high DOC fees or required financing packages or other stipulations.

There might be one more but Criswell seems to be the only real outlier who is giving a genuine price that is truly more then 7% under invoice.

Even some of Criswell's big discounts don't apply to all 2019's. The big discounts are only on certain select leftover vehicles. Great for anyone not so particular on exact model, options, color.

Last edited:

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's probably true about how realistic it may be to just walk in cold and off -7.5% off invoice. Though the poll seems to say otherwise. After further reading/research it looks like it's doable under ideal circumstances, but not "any or all" circumstances when buying new. Such as me just walking in cold turkey.

Honestly it's not really that the $1,454 difference mattered. Part of it is psychological, thinking I need to get the "best possible" deal else I've somehow failed. That's probably faulty thinking. I blow way more than $1400 in other areas of life.
Some people don't have a accurate idea of what they actually paid. Someone could be told they were getting 20% under invoice and have their trade be undervalued by more then the difference. Or be given a higher interest rate then they really qualify for. In their mind they think they got 20% under invoice. There are a LOT of variables for every independent deal. Any poll is only accurate IF every deal were the exact same and people were being honest. Meaning all were cash deals with the exact same DOC fee, without financing, trade-ins, zero back-end products bought in the business office. With or without affiliate pricing, loyalty, military, student, realtor, any other obscure rebate money? Was transpiration included in the discount? Etc.

Last edited:

JeepNomad

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ocean Blue JLUR
Occupation
Retired Navy
Where/how do I find an invoice price? I'm custom ordering in March.

OP
OP
bravelion

bravelion

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Real Estate Investor
Where/how do I find an invoice price? I'm custom ordering in March.
I just asked the salesman to show me the invoice and he printed it out. I think there are online ways to find it but I don't know where.

Sponsored

DiabloBlanco

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
Got quoted 7% under invoice from Criswell + another 1% if I had Tread Lightly on a 2020 Willys JLU with 2.0L. Zero haggling. It's definitely doable.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
For some reason the specific 2020 JLUR I want only exists on one lot with 150 miles of me.

Must have:
Advanced Safety Group. I'll never own another vehicle with adaptive cruise, and it only comes with the ASG.

Not a must, but I want a plain black top and fenders. I don't want to pay for color. Same with the 17/7.5 wheels since I'll swap those immediately, but all seem to have those so I accept it and will sell afterward.

Otherwise, just the 24R has everything I need/want, plus I want leather.

So, when selecting on Jeep.com the Rubicon and ASG, and some other things, the 2020 rig that I want is $56,400 MSRP, which is $53,064 Invoice.

I offered $49,084 (7.5% back of invoice) and the dealer scoffed, and stuck at what I guess is their unstated "no hassle" price of $50,538 and wouldn't budge even a dollar (but said they'd throw in a free tint).

I don't actually think 4.7% below invoice is unreasonable, and I appreciate that it's the advertised price, and I also respect them holding ground. In reality, we were $1,454 apart. It was a clear, fast "no", which I appreciate.

But since they have the only 3 in my area, and all three were buried in the back dirt lot, I don't see any downside to me walking away and see if I get a phone call in the next couple of days. Meanwhile I'll keep entering zipcodes of places I wouldn't mind taking a cheap SW Airline flight/vacation to and pleasure road trip home in a new Rubicon.

I thought I read/saw in some threads here that 7-10% behind invoice should be doable. I offered -7.5%. Is my memory faulty or I'm misinformed? Which dealers will jump straight to 7 as a starting point and allow a bit more negotiation beyond that?
The part I didn't quite follow was: Is the 150 mile away Jeep EXACTLY as you want it or is there some compromise on ASG (did you mean "without") and painted fenders/top?

If not, why not just order it exactly as you want it? The money you save on removing the unwanted options will probably make the deal more attractive than a hard-fought negotiation that includes costly unwanted options.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Got quoted 7% under invoice from Criswell + another 1% if I had Tread Lightly on a 2020 Willys JLU with 2.0L. Zero haggling. It's definitely doable.
8% under invoice is excellent with their DOC fee if you don't mind the added time and expense of traveling. Criswell seems to be no BS and the national benchmark for legitimate discounts. I don't think you can go wrong with them. I see you are in FL? Order from Criswell via email and phone then fly one way to pick up your new JL. Drive it back to FL OR take the Amtrak Auto Train! You drive your new JL to the Amtrak station in DC and they load your Wrangler onto the train and you ride with it back to FL. It would be a fun experience and a nice story.

https://www.amtrak.com/auto-train