Sponsored

I Just walked away from 4.7% Back of Invoice on JLUR

I thought I read/saw in some threads here that 7-10% behind invoice should be doable. I offered -7.5

• Total voters

bravelion

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Real Estate Investor
For some reason the specific 2020 JLUR I want only exists on one lot with 150 miles of me.

Must have:
Advanced Safety Group. I'll never own another vehicle with adaptive cruise, and it only comes with the ASG.

Not a must, but I want a plain black top and fenders. I don't want to pay for color. Same with the 17/7.5 wheels since I'll swap those immediately, but all seem to have those so I accept it and will sell afterward.

Otherwise, just the 24R has everything I need/want, plus I want leather.

So, when selecting on Jeep.com the Rubicon and ASG, and some other things, the 2020 rig that I want is $56,400 MSRP, which is $53,064 Invoice.

I offered $49,084 (7.5% back of invoice) and the dealer scoffed, and stuck at what I guess is their unstated "no hassle" price of $50,538 and wouldn't budge even a dollar (but said they'd throw in a free tint).

I don't actually think 4.7% below invoice is unreasonable, and I appreciate that it's the advertised price, and I also respect them holding ground. In reality, we were $1,454 apart. It was a clear, fast "no", which I appreciate.

But since they have the only 3 in my area, and all three were buried in the back dirt lot, I don't see any downside to me walking away and see if I get a phone call in the next couple of days. Meanwhile I'll keep entering zipcodes of places I wouldn't mind taking a cheap SW Airline flight/vacation to and pleasure road trip home in a new Rubicon.

I thought I read/saw in some threads here that 7-10% behind invoice should be doable. I offered -7.5%. Is my memory faulty or I'm misinformed? Which dealers will jump straight to 7 as a starting point and allow a bit more negotiation beyond that?
Sponsored

fitzman49

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S, 2020 JLU Sahara
It's definitely doable. I got a 2019 Sport S for 7% off invoice. I did have to work the sales guy a bit because he was undercutting me on my trade which I thankfully printed out the value from both KBB and NADA to show him. It was not fun getting to where I wanted but it only took me about 15 minutes of haggling.

You'll get a call back in a couple days. They want to sell a car just as badly as you want to buy one. January is typically the slow month of the year for dealerships so even more incentive to clear inventory.

cram501

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS Mojito! Moab
I ordered from Koons (in VA) about 13 months ago and got 6.5% below invoice. This really equated to about 5.5% under with the $650 document fee. Koons is doing 7.5% under although VA to TX may not be worth it.

Don't limit yourself to those in your area although the map shows a few possible decent deals (7% under) in Austin. Take a look at the dealer map and the recommended dealer thread.

Map: https://sites.google.com/view/wranglerdeals/home

NOTE: Many of these deals will only occur if you contact the correct person at the dealership. Anyone else there will give you the standard sales pitch.

BullMoose1776

First Name
Bull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
They'll call. Have em add $1500 with of stuff you'd have bought anyway, like tint. Front 2 windows on mine was $200.

Sponsored

BullMoose1776

First Name
Bull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
Or just order from somebody that doesn't like to fool around with bullshit

Adamoni

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Recon (2.0T w/ eTorque)
Get your treadlightly discount for another 1%

OP
OP
bravelion

bravelion

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Real Estate Investor
I ordered from Koons (in VA) about 13 months ago and got 6.5% below invoice. This really equated to about 5.5% under with the $650 document fee. Koons is doing 7.5% under although VA to TX may not be worth it.

Don't limit yourself to those in your area although the map shows a few possible decent deals (7% under) in Austin. Take a look at the dealer map and the recommended dealer thread.

Map: https://sites.google.com/view/wranglerdeals/home

NOTE: Many of these deals will only occur if you contact the correct person at the dealership. Anyone else there will give you the standard sales pitch.
Interesting map. One of the dealers listed at 7% off is the dealer I was at today. Maybe it's something that some salespeople can work out and others can't?

BullMoose1776

First Name
Bull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
@bravelion , I had 3 competitive offers on a build, not an on the lot purchase. One from the place in Cedar Park, one in Georgetown and I ordered from DeMontrond in Houston.

The two Austin area dealers were on the map found on JLWranglerForums.

PM me if you'd like to discuss. I've got a load of info.

Happy to help.

renegadecaderyn

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
For some reason the specific 2020 JLUR I want only exists on one lot with 150 miles of me.

Must have:
Advanced Safety Group. I'll never own another vehicle with adaptive cruise, and it only comes with the ASG.

Not a must, but I want a plain black top and fenders. I don't want to pay for color. Same with the 17/7.5 wheels since I'll swap those immediately, but all seem to have those so I accept it and will sell afterward.

Otherwise, just the 24R has everything I need/want, plus I want leather.

So, when selecting on Jeep.com the Rubicon and ASG, and some other things, the 2020 rig that I want is $56,400 MSRP, which is $53,064 Invoice.

I offered $49,084 (7.5% back of invoice) and the dealer scoffed, and stuck at what I guess is their unstated "no hassle" price of $50,538 and wouldn't budge even a dollar (but said they'd throw in a free tint).

I don't actually think 4.7% below invoice is unreasonable, and I appreciate that it's the advertised price, and I also respect them holding ground. In reality, we were $1,454 apart. It was a clear, fast "no", which I appreciate.

But since they have the only 3 in my area, and all three were buried in the back dirt lot, I don't see any downside to me walking away and see if I get a phone call in the next couple of days. Meanwhile I'll keep entering zipcodes of places I wouldn't mind taking a cheap SW Airline flight/vacation to and pleasure road trip home in a new Rubicon.

I thought I read/saw in some threads here that 7-10% behind invoice should be doable. I offered -7.5%. Is my memory faulty or I'm misinformed? Which dealers will jump straight to 7 as a starting point and allow a bit more negotiation beyond that?
I ordered my JLUR from Neil Carpenter with DeMontrond in Conroe. 6% under invoice. Highly recommended. [email protected]

Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Third vote for Neil. My price was just under 7% below, no haggling. It’s the price he offered up front. All via email, didn’t step foot into a dealership until it arrived. Just under an hour later I drove off the lot.

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
The majority of dealerships won't touch 7.5% off invoice and will be fine with letting you walk.

The only 10% off invoice is Criswell on leftover stock from 2019s.

You will need to search around to get close to where you want the price, may or may not be realistic.

The pricing map is outdated, many of the dealerships don't meet what is shown on the map.

Ducatibilt

First Name
Damon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 TJ, 2014 JKU
Question for you guys that bought from Demontrond for 6 & 7%. Did that % have the Tread Lightly discount included?

OP
OP
bravelion

bravelion

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Real Estate Investor
The majority of dealerships won't touch 7.5% off invoice and will be fine with letting you walk.

The only 10% off invoice is Criswell on leftover stock from 2019s.

You will need to search around to get close to where you want the price, may or may not be realistic.

The pricing map is outdated, many of the dealerships don't meet what is shown on the map.
That's probably true about how realistic it may be to just walk in cold and off -7.5% off invoice. Though the poll seems to say otherwise. After further reading/research it looks like it's doable under ideal circumstances, but not "any or all" circumstances when buying new. Such as me just walking in cold turkey.

Honestly it's not really that the $1,454 difference mattered. Part of it is psychological, thinking I need to get the "best possible" deal else I've somehow failed. That's probably faulty thinking. I blow way more than $1400 in other areas of life.
Sponsored