I just sold my 2021 Bronco

TheNewGuy

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 door
The market is the market. Its not going to over pay for your used car and give you a deal on another one. Markets don't operate like that. It might have been like that at the very beginning, but we're a year into inflation now. Everyone's adjusted.
And the OP is looking at a 392, talk about overpriced lol.
Whether or not the 392 is worth the cost of admission is a different debate. But if he can order one for 7k-9k off msrp and add in the profit off his Bronco, he's essentially getting a 392 for 12k+ off. If that's what he wants, it's a pretty good deal for him.
The tax implications (if any) are a different story.
Sponsored

ekometti

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge 392, 2015 Cayenne S
$5000 may seem like a lot to many people, but when you factor in the cost you will spend on a 392 (which will be significantly more than the Bronco), hmm....I don't know if it would be cost effective in the end. Aren't dealers charging like $10k-$15k over sticker for 392s nowadays? The used/new car industry is crazy now, just like the housing industry. People are selling their homes for a significant profit just to find out they will spend $100k-$150k more on a new house of equivalent size. It's crazy out there!
My dealer was 10k over sticker. Manassas VA

ekometti

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge 392, 2015 Cayenne S
The 392 market has softened up quite a bit from what I've seen. At the auction they are bringing sticker or a little under.
Not in Virgina, the dealers are 10k above sticker or more.

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Electrical, Mechanical, and Aerospace Engineering.
$5000 over is pretty paltry actually. I could unload my 2020 Challenger 392 for $11k over what I paid for it at several dealers in my area this afternoon...and a 2020 Challenger is not a 2021 Ford Bronco, not remotely.

And yes, you certainly can sell your car for big chunks of profit right now and obtain a new one at a great discount, if you are patient and diligent. If I could get a new vehicle from the factory in less than 4 months right now i'd probably be doing just that in fact.

SouthernJL

First Name
Isom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Camry and 2014
It's like people think the market they're selling into is different than the market they'll be buying from.
This is very true. But some folks have extra assets to sell with no intent buy (multiple homes/Vehicles etc). It's a great time to offload assets and reap the benefits if looking for an opportunity to scale down with no intention to purchase a replacement.

Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
People are selling their homes for a significant profit just to find out they will spend $100k-$150k more on a new house of equivalent size.
+1

The comps for recent house sales in my neighborhood are ridiculous (and I don't use that word as a throwaway adjective here.) We'd make a tidy profit if we sold our house now, but all of it and possibly more would be consumed when buying a replacement residence, if one that met our comparatively modest requirements could be found in a timely manner, or at all.

If you're shrewd enough to sell a almost new vehicle for a 5k profit...
There's nothing shrewd about seeing dollar signs when making a little profit on a historically depreciating asset.

...some folks have extra assets to sell with no intent buy (multiple homes/Vehicles etc). It's a great time to offload assets and reap the benefits if looking for an opportunity to scale down with no intention to purchase a replacement.
Yep. I'm in that very position right now as it concerns thinning my motorcycle inventory.

NChap89

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
This is very true. But some folks have extra assets to sell with no intent buy (multiple homes/Vehicles etc). It's a great time to offload assets and reap the benefits if looking for an opportunity to scale down with no intention to purchase a replacement.
This. I just sold my Gen 2 Viper for 25% more than I paid for it 2 years ago. Loved the car but it sat on a trickle charger in my garage for 95% of the time I owned it. No intention on buying a 3rd vehicle in the near future.

hiimmike

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Occupation
Network Engineer
Probably that bonus $5000 cash.
I'm listing my JLUR for $60k the day I pick it up.... If I'm paying $48k and some one wants to pay $12k more, I'll buy something else and build another one and just wait for it. I can be hopeful, right? There are people with more money than they know what to do with out there!

GrayHawk20

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
*See Signature for Info*
Occupation
(Architectural) Jr. Project Coordinator
Vehicle Showcase
Where do you go to get 10K off?
Chapman CDJR mine was 6% which equals 10k…I think they are still offer 10k off for 392’s

Sponsored

OP
OP
Exact Center

Exact Center

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
johnd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Rubicon 392 XR
Occupation
Inventor
Vehicle Showcase
Don't forget about the weight. From what I've read the 392 has a curb weight of 5103 lbs which is more than most gas engine RV's can safely tow.
my RV is on a Ram 5500 chassis Cummins 6.7 800 torque 400 HP diesel. My Bronco was only maybe 200-300lbs less and I go fly up Tennessee 5000 and up hills. I could pass any truck.

OP
OP
Exact Center

Exact Center

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
johnd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Rubicon 392 XR
Occupation
Inventor
Vehicle Showcase
You're totally correct Scott, same in most states, but in this case the OP did not trade. He sold to one dealer and will buy from another. Hell...the extra sales tax will eat up the $5K. All of that said, the OP should follow his heart, and get what he wants, but not under the guise of a good financial decision.

Been there; done that.
In Michigan, you can only save $480 by trading and buying from the same dealer.
Illinois used to give full credit, but not today. They want your bucks, no way around taxes of 6% in Michigan.

Obispo325

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Chevy Tahoe and hopefully a Bright White JLUR
I'm listing my JLUR for $60k the day I pick it up.... If I'm paying $48k and some one wants to pay $12k more, I'll buy something else and build another one and just wait for it. I can be hopeful, right? There are people with more money than they know what to do with out there!
I’ve thought about just constantly having one on order and flipping Jeeps until I can’t.

OP
OP
Exact Center

Exact Center

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
johnd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Rubicon 392 XR
Occupation
Inventor
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve thought about just constantly having one on order and flipping Jeeps until I can’t.
Sounds like a dream job. I did this 70's 80's 90's when I traded every 10000to 15000 miles, but there was no profit, I liked cars and I had money so I wasted some. I lost $8500 on a BMW M3 in 30 days just because I did not know it was a dog until I got 800 miles on it.

Obispo325

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Chevy Tahoe and hopefully a Bright White JLUR
Sounds like a dream job. I did this 70's 80's 90's when I traded every 10000to 15000 miles, but there was no profit, I liked cars and I had money so I wasted some. I lost $8500 on a BMW M3 in 30 days just because I did not know it was a dog until I got 800 miles on it.
Haha yeah I want to do the opposite of that!
Sponsored