Sponsored

I just need to know… is it a Jeep thing?

JeepLeap

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Willys
I can live with this and would never bring something so trivial in for service… but I just need to know…

A shifty, scrunchy, crunchy (it’s hard to describe) sound inside coming from I believe the hardtop settling often when I back into my driveway (over bumps/hills)…

Is it a Jeep thing?
Sponsored

MEHillwalker80

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S JL 2 DR 1999 Chevy Suburban K1500
I would check the mounting bolts for looseness. My hard top is noise and rattle free.

JLTruman

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 wrangler jlus bright white
Vehicle Showcase
another thing to check is if the back glass has dust on the weather stripping, wipe the tailgate and glass weather strips, its dry and dusty here in the desert, maybe not where you live, but its what made my hardtop make noises

Retrograde

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLSS, 1995 Chevy K2500
Occupation
Arms Dealer
I can live with this and would never bring something so trivial in for service… but I just need to know…

A shifty, scrunchy, crunchy (it’s hard to describe) sound inside coming from I believe the hardtop settling often when I back into my driveway (over bumps/hills)…

Is it a Jeep thing?
Yup. That's the sound of the hard top flexing in response to the Jeep itself flexing. Mine does it all the time.

cmcclintock

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
another thing to check is if the back glass has dust on the weather stripping, wipe the tailgate and glass weather strips, its dry and dusty here in the desert, maybe not where you live, but its what made my hardtop make noises
Yes-could be it. I have had that before. I wipe down rubber weather strip all around the rear glass. No longer an issue.

Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero

Fuel Fire Desire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 2020 JT Sport
It’s the weather stripping slipping against the paint of the tub as the chassis/ body flexes. When the top bolts are tightened, it should go away after a week or so as the weather stripping sticks itself to the paint until you separate the top again.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Keeping the rubber seals around the doors and rear hatch clean and lubricated with silicone or Armor All helps reduce the squeaking noise.

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys in Sarge Green
Occupation
truck driver
If you haven't already done so, take your hard top off, and remove the packing plastic stuff. It was some kind of shipping film. It was crinkly. It kept making weird noises until I finally got rid of it. I wish I could be more detailed, but I don't quite remember exactly where or what it was, beyond the fact that you couldn't get at it just by removing the freedom panels. The whole top had to come off. Then I was like ah ha! and I pulled off some crinkly stuff that had been driving me nuts.

OP
OP
JeepLeap

JeepLeap

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Willys
Thank you to ALL who replied to this thread. You’re all Jeep geniuses. Simply cleaning the rubber seal that seals the back window got rid of all the creaks and sounds. Plan on spraying with RV slide-out cleaner/conditioner once I get it.

Thanks again!
Sponsored