Edge Hawk

First Name
Asa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD on order, 2014 JKUR & 1992 M101 CND 2 trailer
Hey y'all.

So I ordered a 2021 JLUR EcoDiesel last year (Jeep #5), and I love it. Torque, sound, MPGs. But it had an issue at 5K miles, and they replaced the engine and had all sorts of repair issues from that. (whole other topic)

Now, on long trips, like from Michigan to Maryland 620 miles, I get 29.5 MPG. But around town, I'm mostly between 21.5-24. And that's the majority of my miles. I work from home, so no commute, but taking the kids to school, groceries, etc, are very short runs 5-10 miles. Short trips aren't great for Diesels.

So my questions are:
What are your MPGs on trips?

When in hybrid mode, will the battery eventually run out or does the regenerative braking keep it charged?

Any towing? I have a small army trailer with RTT on it, when I tow it, I get 19-21 mpg on highway.

I know some guys who wheel, (I don't do crazy stuff anymore) with a normal 2.0T engine and the power is good, so I'm assuming the 4xe extra electric torque is great.
Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Hey y'all.

So I ordered a 2021 JLUR EcoDiesel last year (Jeep #5), and I love it. Torque, sound, MPGs. But it had an issue at 5K miles, and they replaced the engine and had all sorts of repair issues from that. (whole other topic)

Now, on long trips, like from Michigan to Maryland 620 miles, I get 29.5 MPG. But around town, I'm mostly between 21.5-24. And that's the majority of my miles. I work from home, so no commute, but taking the kids to school, groceries, etc, are very short runs 5-10 miles. Short trips aren't great for Diesels.

So my questions are:

When in hybrid mode, will the battery eventually run out or does the regenerative braking keep it charged?

Any towing? I have a small army trailer with RTT on it, when I tow it, I get 19-21 mpg on highway.

I know some guys who wheel, (I don't do crazy stuff anymore) with a normal 2.0T engine and the power is good, so I'm assuming the 4xe extra electric torque is great.
It’s hard to state mpg without hand calcing since the computer only counts engine on.

You’ll be good with the power. The hybrid with depleted battery seems to keep enough juice to at least get you rolling to 20 or so in electric after a stop.

It’ll shine on your commute, not so much on the trips. That may be enough to take the mpg cost concern out of the equation.

JandS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe | Exige S | R wagon | V Wagon | MB S65
Hey y'all.

So my questions are:

I average ~45mpg on my commute and daily driving, which is almost all on battery. Once the battery is depleted, you're just driving a 4 pot Wrangler with some extra weight. I've only taken one trip and got 35mpg, but again, that is entirely dependent on how long the trip is.

The batteries do continue to recharge, so even when the range is >1 mile, you still have the power boost of the electric motor available.

Lee Woiteshek

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Matrix
Hey y'all.

So my questions are:

Just took delivery last month on a loaded Rubi. Like you most of my trips are 25 miles or less. Yesterday I filled the tank, replacing the gas from the dealer. I filled at 5/8's of a tank, a bit over half a tank. I had 412 miles on the odometer. I filled it with premium which as I type this is 3.94 a gallon. It took 6.3 gallons on a 17 gallon tank. Math says this is 65 mpg. But that's not a real number as I charge it every day I use it. The Rubi says it's getting 32 mpg. I have a level two Chargepoint charger. It handshakes with the local utility and tells me how much it costs to recharge, which is in my area 1.50 for the depleted cell. So instead of burning one gallon of gas, @3.94 a gallon, I've spent 1.50 and still have virtually a full tank of gas as the engine only kicks in on the highway when I need it. So if you were in my area doing your errands, say school runs for two weeks at 20 miles round trip, it would be 200 miles. I would of spent 15.00 recharging and likely have 7/8's of a tank of gas in the Rubi. In the diesel you'd be at a half tank and thinking refill at whatever your paying for winter diesel.

Torque is immediate. You will run out of battery. Max regen doesn't recharge the battery to full under use. When you run out of battery it kicks over to ICE and you have whatever range you have in the tank. Long trips I'd just put in in Esave and run gas and take the hit. I would imagine you'd take a beating on mpg's towing but you have more torque on demand than the diesel given battery limitations.

Last edited:

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
We have both, and while the 4XE is perfect for our family needs I would much rather have the diesel for trips. Our 4XE rarely commutes over the 20-25 mile electric range without having a place to charge once we stop. The 2-3X a year my wife takes a trip(3-4 hours)with the kids in the 4XE the fuel mileage really suffers. The Diesel on the same trip gets much better mileage.
Fortunately we haven’t had any issues with the Diesels we own, but I can see your concerns.

I’ve only had one customer regret purchasing the 4XE. His daily commute is over 50 miles each direction with no place to charge other than home.

Sponsored

SnB4xe

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler High Altitude 4xe
Hey y'all.

So my questions are:

I get about 20 mpg in hybrid mode on the freeway. You never run out of hybrid battery. I get about 16 mpg towing a small trailer.

PHEVs are bad electric vehicles and so-so ICE vehicles so don't expect the 4xe to outperform your diesel for highway mpg or towing. That being said the 4xe is a great way to drive electric most of the time yet still have the ability to take longer trips and tow small trailers.....and of course very capable off road. So far, my 4xe has gone everywhere that my sons Rubicon has gone so it does really well off road IMO.

Our lifetime mpg displayed on the dash is over 40 so it works great for us. Hope this helps.

LJ_3M121318

First Name
LJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
Hey y'all.

So my questions are:

I would say we have similar tastes/preferences based on what you wrote.

I spent months agonizing over 4xe vs Diesel. Ultimately went with 4xe because most trips would be quick and require no gas. The only major drawback was the lack of sound. Coming from a V8 truck there is no sound better than when you turn on the ignition and hear that roar.

So I solved that by adding an active exhaust system that you can read about here
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/lj’s-4xe-…with-active-exhaust-sound-system.73901/

But one of the things I assumed about the 4xe was the power. You see 400+ hp and 400+ torque and you think this is gonna be like driving a 392. But it's not. The way the hybrid system works is that for like 95% of your driving you will be in either all electric or all gas. There are only specific situations where you are getting both electric and gas at max output so you dont get all that hp and torque as advertised. Mainly it's like a hybrid that is efficient so really you're driving 200 hp most times. At least for me since most of my driving is running errands in streets. So the lack of full power is disappointing.

But on the plus side you'll mainly be in electric and with a level 2 charger every day, you barely use gas. I've had it for about six months now and have only filled gas about 4 times total. Compared to my V8 I was filling gas almost once a week. So that is a major plus.

As far as mpg you have to manually calculate it because in electric the speedometer says 99 mpg and my average with gas shows around 30-40. I also have 37s so that brings it down some

SnB4xe

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler High Altitude 4xe
I took a 378 mile trip yesterday and averaged 22.4 mpg when I divide miles traveled by gallons consumed. Not sure why the mpg was so good. Perhaps because it was a trip through the mountains and the regen harvesting helped overall efficiency compared to flat terrain?

20211127_095258.jpg

GreenJK

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JK, 2017 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
@Edge Hawk We have had our 4xe Sahara for one month. It has 570 miles as of yesterday. We have been driving it in electric mode on local errands and have found we can get right at 30 miles per charge if we stay off the freeway. Based on our kWh rate, it is about $1.70 to recharge or around $.06 - $.07 per mile. Dirt cheap!

We picked it up with a full tank from the dealer; it is now slightly above 1/2 tank. It would probably be at about 3/4 tank but I have been running the ICE through the gears periodically in manual mode to give it some break-in activity. It does like to rev and pulls it’s weight very well.

Typically we use the ICE only on the freeway in Esave mode. I have have been keeping records of each days driving, in both Electric and Esave modes. I am not driving in Hybrid. In spite of the aggressive through the gears that I have been doing with the ICE it currently stands at about 22.8 mpg. Most of this driving is in 8th gear at between 65 - 70 mph.

I agonized over the decision between the diesel and 4xe, before we placed our order, especially in light of many reported problems by fellow early adopters. I chose the 4xe based upon the potential it offered, and so far it has delivered in spades. Not one problem, and I still have not visited a gas station. I went with the lease and got a low payment and at the current rate, the guys at the gas station will forget my name. Based on the scenario you describe, I think you will be pleased with the 4xe as well.

OP
OP
Edge Hawk

Edge Hawk

First Name
Asa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD on order, 2014 JKUR & 1992 M101 CND 2 trailer
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/lj’s-4xe-…with-active-exhaust-sound-system.73901/
But one of the things I assumed about the 4xe was the power. You see 400+ hp and 400+ torque and you think this is gonna be like driving a 392. But it's not. The way the hybrid system works is that for like 95% of your driving you will be in either all electric or all gas. There are only specific situations where you are getting both electric and gas at max output so you dont get all that hp and torque as advertised. Mainly it's like a hybrid that is efficient so really you're driving 200 hp most times. At least for me since most of my driving is running errands in streets. So the lack of full power is disappointing.
thanks to all that have replied so far. I think this last part by LJ hit something that I hd been wondering about. I assumed that it’d be ICE and electric motor all the time unless in esave or e only.

I need to do a test drive. I traveling now and drove from Michigan to VA 570 miles, and was at 28.5 mpg doing the speed limit or 2 over using adaptive cruise.

but I only do these long trips maybe a few times a year. I figure I could be 100% electric for 80+% of the time.

Sponsored

lindaspins

First Name
Linda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Rubicon Hard Rock
It's important to remember the 4xe is always a hybrid. The only thing that those dash buttons do is change the mix of electric to gas.
You can be in e-save and still have the engine drop to electric at a stop sign, or you can be in electric and have the engine kick in to help boost you up a hill.
The battery is never completely drained-it will go to a <1% state where the power is reserved for hybrid operation and will charge and discharge to maintain that state. It is possible (but not as efficient) to run in hybrid 100% of the time and never plug in at all.

Grimmjpr

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
Your highway trip MPG will vary a bit especially depending on speed and or wind, terrain. I've gone on a few road trips:

Salt Lake City to Moab I-15 to 6 over Soldier Summit to 191 to I-70 and then 191 again into Moab. Speed limit is 60 to 70 MPH other then the stretch on I-70 is 80 MPG. No heavy wind to Moab and back starting with a full charge running in hybrid mode I got 19.85 MPG to Moab, and 19.77 MPG to home. This is hand calculated.....not perfect since I was using different pumps/stations.

Salt Lake City to Panaca NV: Quite a bit of elevation change along I-15 to Cedar City then West on 56, speeds 60 MPH to 80 MPH....heading down I got mid 18s MPG starting with a full battery but on the way home pretty bad headwind pretty much the whole way, got about 14 MPG starting with about 40 ish percent battery. Driving 80 to 85 ish into a headwind isn't efficient obviously.

Salt Lake City to Helper UT and back home: 19.75 MPG starting with a full battery at home

I havn't had a chance to tow my Smittybilt Scout Trailer yet with the 4xe so I can't comment on that.

My work commute is 20 miles round trip, I usually get about 25-26 miles to a charge now its winter, before winter I was getting about 28-30 miles to a charge. With regular charging I was able to go almost 1500 miles on 3/4 of a tank of fuel so it makes up for it in that reguard.

The battery even when "depleted" still maintains roughly 15 percent or around 2ish KWH and the electric motor will help out and its susprisingly quick. No issues driving up a grade, passing etc. and I'm comparing this to my 2018 WK2 Hemi Trailhawk.

This ended up being a lot longer then I planned, but I hope this helps.

Bmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe, 2012 JK, 2011 WK2 5.7
Yes, short trips and diesels are not a good combo.

In my 4xe Rubi I have one huge ~3000 mile cross country trip. On that trip we left with a full charge but then never recharged afterward other than via some down-mountain regen (Chicagoland to SC and back). Trip mpg was 20.5 overall (fuel hand calc) and that was with ~1/2 at ~75mph interstate speeds (getting 15-16mpg instant in windy conditions) the remainder travel bing local roads and state highways. A diesel would have been better for fuel economy on the trip, for sure.

Now, back in the People's Republic of Illinois, most of my short trip errands can be done on pure electric (20-30 miles per charge, weather/traffic dependent). I'll take the mpg "hit" for 75+mph interstate travel given that my fuel usage is nil for most other things. As stated already, the power is always on tap (it's always a hybrid). We love the 4xe and definitely see a significant fuel savings used locally.

stickling9

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe; 2013 vw gli; 2022 Maverick Hybrid
Occupation
engineer
Hey y'all.

So my questions are:

10000 miles now - we have similar driving situations, and we fill up every 4 -6 weeks. 2-4 hours of 'town' driving is what we see. Mileage increases in town with regen braking (max). If we have a lot of driving to do, we will e-save on the highway component and turn to hybrid or electric mode in town. Once battery is down to 'hybrid' size, the vehicle will transition to just hybrid (from 17KWh to something around 1-2 KWh). It works very well for its sweet spot (less than 25 miles/trip city to mix driving)

cant comment on towing, but feel like the max regen would work well. but keep in mind that heavier the load, more power needed to launch. electric only is designed for the jeep, so with a trailer, I expect that the engine would be needed for anything other than a slow start

Trident1231

First Name
Dominic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler sahara
Occupation
Dental hygienist
If you have a diesel , don't do it. My 4xe rubicon has had countless issues in the winter cold. I've had service hybird engine 6 times now and they couldn't fix it . Recently ive had servuce charging system. When it gets to -10 it just doesnt start. My 4xe needs a whole new hybird battery. Wait time has been 4 months for the battery which has been ridiculous... I would wait 2 more years until they figure out all these issues. Unless you live in a warm climate don't do it
Sponsored