Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Sometimes when I start my JLUR the starter just turns over and doesn’t start, then I push the start button again and it will stop, then push it again Jeep will start......👾...... only happens every so often, no pattern or reason. Anyone else have weird shit happening, but doesn’t warrant a trip to the dealer, which I avoid like the Covid.......😬...... of course my apologies if already been asked and answered.

edit: ....... and yes... I pushed down all my fuses, and I have a catch can... so this kinda thing shouldn’t be happening...🤣
Sponsored

Last edited:

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
Sometimes when I start my JLUR the starter just turns over and doesn’t start, then I push the start button again and it will stop, then push it again Jeep will start......👾...... only happens every so often, no pattern or reason. Anyone else have weird shit happening, but doesn’t warrant a trip to the dealer, which I avoid like the Covid.......😬...... of course my apologies if already been asked and answered.

edit: ....... and yes... I pushed down all my fuses, and I have a catch can... so this kinda thing shouldn’t be happening...🤣
Does this happen with both the remote start and push-button start?

Can you capture a video?

OP
OP
Roky

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Does this happen with both the remote start and push-button start?

Can you capture a video?
Never with remote, just push button. I’ll try to catch it on vid but who knows when it will do it again, lol. Sometimes it’s months in between, sometimes it will happen twice in the same week..🤷‍♂️.....it just turns over like back in the day when you’d take coil cap off so you could cycle the starter but did t want it to start.....dating myself now....😂

OP
OP
Roky

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
it always starts the second time? How many times has this happened?
Maybe 10, probably less, in the past 2.5 years ( 2018 jlur ) , yes always starts right up after I stop it and push again.

Sponsored

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Avi Engineer
Never with remote, just push button. I’ll try to catch it on vid but who knows when it will do it again, lol. Sometimes it’s months in between, sometimes it will happen twice in the same week..🤷‍♂️.....it just turns over like back in the day when you’d take coil cap off so you could cycle the starter but did t want it to start.....dating myself now....😂
Do you have an auto or manual trans?

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
That’s so weird it’s like the engine isn’t getting any spark or any fuel during that first crank. Or perhaps some other electrical issue but what else would prevent the engine from starting if it’s turning over except for air, fuel, and spark?

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Avi Engineer
Auto, 3.6
Does the engine itself turn over or does the starter just spin?

I'm looking up the starter circuit for you now. The push button itself doesn't send any specific commands to the starter relay. If the engine turns over, then this would likely not be a starter circuit problem and more towards actual PCM/ignition command; something more along the lines of a missing discreet during the start sequence. Being this intermittent, you may just want to check the plugs and pins at the following:
  • Push button on dash
  • Radio Frequency Hub Module
  • Body Control Module
If there was a broken pin or portion of the circuit that would remain disconnected for a drive cycle or more than 2 key cycles, then you would get a "U" code for a communication timeout saying something like. " No communication with xxxx" or a callout for specific discreet failure.

Intermittent is a MF'r sometimes and the dealer doesn't do intermittent. It needs to be broken in half or something missing before they'll spend the time to look at it.

Attachments

Sponsored

OP
OP
Roky

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Does the engine itself turn over or does the starter just spin?

I'm looking up the starter circuit for you now. The push button itself doesn't send any specific commands to the starter relay. If the engine turns over, then this would likely not be a starter circuit problem and more towards actual PCM/ignition command; something more along the lines of a missing discreet during the start sequence. Being this intermittent, you may just want to check the plugs and pins at the following:
  • Push button on dash
  • Radio Frequency Hub Module
  • Body Control Module
If there was a broken pin or portion of the circuit that would remain disconnected for a drive cycle or more than 2 key cycles, then you would get a "U" code for a communication timeout saying something like. " No communication with xxxx" or a callout for specific discreet failure.

Intermittent is a MF'r sometimes and the dealer doesn't do intermittent. It needs to be broken in half or something missing before they'll spend the time to look at it.
Thanks man... there’s no codes, it sounds the same as if it’s gonna start but doesn’t, so I’m guessing the engine is turning over.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
It will probably have to get worse before it can get fixed, unfortunately. Have you ever let it continue cranking to see how long it will go? If it starts up the second time without smoking after a long crank, you probably aren't getting fuel.

Alleycat392

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Metal Mulisha Custom

Press the gear shifter forward toward the dashboard while pushing button and see
if it happens again. Old JK issue that took me many years, many jump starts, many batteries and many alternators to learn about. Rare on JLU’s but it’s a safety feature that tricks vehicle into thinking it’s not in park and won’t let it start. If shifter is not eventually adjusted its a very annoying occurrence.

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase

Time for a bronco 🤷‍♂️😂, good thing chevys here hes always got the good information, i got nothin
Sponsored