First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
When the dealership gave me a great offer to trade in my 2019, i said “sure, but at that price i am putting it back to stock and keeping all of my mods.” They said OK.

the problem with adding up the cost of my jeep (2019 Sahara, or 2021 Rubicon 4xe) and mods, is that once i see the total i willstart looking at additional mods differently. Instead of looking at the price of what i want, and comparing it to how much fun i think it will add to the Jeep experience, I fear my thought process will change to “the cost of this mod is nothing compared to what i have spent so far….”

that line of thinking is dangerous and could lead to things like Dana 60’s……
Sponsored

Dale's Jeep

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL 4door Rubicon
Occupation
Retired U.S. Army 23 years
As a Senior NCO, it’s my job and duty to tell officers what they need to hear, not what they want to hear. With The General, my honesty ALWAYS works out, after enduring the inevitable sharpshooting and hand-wringing. After all, I am also The General’s driver when we are together, and she also owns a 2020 Sahara - WITH a few mods that SHE requested, after swearing she would not do ANY mods! She also enjoys off-roading. She truly gets it. We just have to do “the dance.” 😁
Thank you for your service.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I'm certain that Plex wasn't speaking of his Jeeps actual value, but simply of what he has put into it as a whole.

In my opinion, the Tally-up Trail is one of the most dangerous trails a Jeep could take. I opt to not think on it any deeper than how close I've become with the local UPS and FedEx drivers over the last 2.5 years.

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Truth is, you were just told by the dealer they wouldn't pay you for the mods either, nobody will, ever.
Exactly. If I were to ever look for a used wrangler, me personally, I Wouldn’t be looking for one that was all modded up, if such a thing still exists lol

Sponsored

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
If you believe that, I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell.

OP, you never get mod value. This is why guys regularly 'revert to stock' and sell off parts when they get rid of a vehicle. That said, I'm of the mindset to keep it built, mods add SOME value. Maybe half of what you spend on them. But it all depends on the buyer.
And that said, I came from a mostly stock YJ. It was liberating to leave it alone as I considered it a 'survivor' and collectible. First vehicle I haven't modded in a long time. Then my wife made me sell it because I 'can't have 2 Jeeps.' I've spent about $600 in mods on the 2020, half of that being a Willys grille. Spent almost as much on OEM parts to fix issues, soft top latches and a revised steering box.
It was 1 of 25 in the country, in the spec I wanted last year. A local used car dealer tried to buy it from me right away, I told them they couldn't afford it. It's priceless to me.
My wife has let me have up to 4 Jeeps at one time. Of course, their combined purchase prices were still less than her car. I've since sold the YJ back to the PO and purchased JLUR so we're pretty even price wise right now. Got a stock TJ Sahara on 31s and two CJ-5s with as much $$ in mods as I paid for them, but nothing too crazy yet. Getting ready to make the '75 my trail beater so it's investment will triple.

I've only added about $500 to the Rubicon, but that's because I couldn't get a bumper or security box delivered before we left for the Rockies. Ended-up fabricating a front bumper to mount a winch and making my own cargo box so I saved about a grand thanks to everything being on back-order.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
If I were to ever look for a used wrangler, me personally, I Wouldn’t be looking for one that was all modded up, if such a thing still exists
There's a used car dealer down the road that usually has at least one Wrangler on the lot. I'd wager he seeks them out at auction.

The degree of modification varies; none of them have been completely stock. Most are lifted. I've seen angry bird grilles and eBay light bars make an appearance or three, too. I drive by the dealership just frequently enough to have observed that none of them are on the lot for more than two months or so, usually well less than that.

LarryB

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 dr
Even better - in an accident insurance may refuse to cover it due to the mods!

Watch your policies fine print.... very common to see language now that limits coverage if "lift kit over XX is installed" and other bullshittery.
Each area is different, so it is likely this may not apply … I spoke to my insurance when I first bought the Wrangler and asked about mods. Their words … “any modification that increases the likelihood of an accident occurring (compared to a stock vehicle) or reduces the amount of protection if an accident were to occur (again, compared to stock) may result in a denial of a claim.”

Since I never did a lift, I never asked for more details.

Mikeoso

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher
Each area is different, so it is likely this may not apply … I spoke to my insurance when I first bought the Wrangler and asked about mods. Their words … “any modification that increases the likelihood of an accident occurring (compared to a stock vehicle) or reduces the amount of protection if an accident were to occur (again, compared to stock) may result in a denial of a claim.”

Since I never did a lift, I never asked for more details.
So...prolly dont want to black out the windshield and remove the roll cage?

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I am about 26,000 into it after the initial purchase. My bud told me that he had spent about 20 grand on upgrades and such and I said no way as my Jeep has stuff that he does not and that I figured I was about 12 or 15 grand into it. He pulled out his calculator and said start naming stuff and the cost. I was at 23,000 before I knew it and had forgot stuff like the Bestop Sunrider, $940, the taser... Well fuck, I think I have spent that as well Jeep traveling too.

Sponsored

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
There's a used car dealer down the road that usually has at least one Wrangler on the lot. I'd wager he seeks them out at auction.

The degree of modification varies; none of them have been completely stock. Most are lifted. I've seen angry bird grilles and eBay light bars make an appearance or three, too. I drive by the dealership just frequently enough to have observed that none of them are on the lot for more than two months or so, usually well less than that.
While I don’t doubt at all that they get bought up, again, me personally knowing what I know, I wouldn’t unless of course it had extensive paperwork on maintenance.

Angry bird grille, the worst!!

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
Tally going up...
Jeep Wrangler JL I have a $80k Wrangler and didn't even know it. What's your rig's final / current cost? 20210719_205419

My wife gave me permission to go full retard mid life crisis and by god I'm going to get it right. Most rewarding expensive hobby ever. I don't give a shit about total cost as I'll probably keep this thing until I die. If you can't enjoy it, what's the sense in getting your ass out of bed everyday for decades to earn it.

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
Tally going up...
Jeep Wrangler JL I have a $80k Wrangler and didn't even know it. What's your rig's final / current cost? 20210719_205419

My wife gave me permission to go full retard mid life crisis and by god I'm going to get it right. Most rewarding expensive hobby ever. I don't give a shit about total cost as I'll probably keep this thing until I die. If you can't enjoy it, what's the sense in getting your ass out of bed everyday for decades to earn it.
That’s exactly how I feel. Put money away just to die with it? Glad you found an awesome passion.

Jim_n_Tx

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ, Commando, JT , JL, M422
No one will ever know !

LarryB

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 dr
$31.2k to buy (plus tax and title), plus ~$2k for the soft top, $1k for the rails, and another $300 for interior stuff like phone mount, interior organizers, grab handles, and entry guards leaves me around $34.5k which is still less than the sticker price of $37,200.

Seeing some of your mod lists and costs is insane to me, even for very enthusiastic hobbyists. Makes track work and mods for performance cars look cheap. For $80k I'd rather be in a Land Rover.
I am in the same boat. About 2K in mods (namely better tires and LED headlights). I can climb some pretty serious hills as it is.

For the most part, the majority of mods offer little return for a couple of reasons. First, almost noone wants your exact setup, so they are not willing to pay anything close to what you paid. The more important reason is if you put that many off-road mods into a Jeep, you likely beat the snot out of it.
Sponsored