Sponsored

SSinGA

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 2018 JLUR, 2016 JKRHR, 2012 JKU Sahara
While you may have spent $80k on the Jeep and the add-ons, you do not have a Jeep worth $80k.

As for the insurance, if totaled it's still your Jeep. Don't ever let them tow it off to some random lot! Remove your aftermarket parts and then let them come get it.
Sponsored

Sethward01

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe
Ive got all of my receipts in a folder in the safe. My wife and I have separate bank accounts--back to before we got married, she had a way better job/salary, and was worried about me overspending and using her money. Shes the saver, Im the spender. We still have separate, but linked accounts. But we also look at it for safety. I dont tell her how much I spent, and she rarely asks. She understands if I want something (within reason), Im going to buy it. I often use the phrase "I got a good deal." That being said, Im about $10-11k in mods.

Good call on adding insurance coverage for modifications. I didnt think about that either. But I will be emailing my agent shortly.

AlrightAlready

First Name
Clark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR. Couple Ducs
This is a horrifying prospect. I want to imagine I'm around 75-80k but I may take some time to actually do the whole list. I'm scared it will be higher.

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
The General gave me her steely-eyed look for a few long moments. Her reply: “Our current base of operations has some logistical priorities which will take precedence.”
If that's a true story, your wife sounds pretty cool.

Speaking of mods and $$. Luckily I have USAA for insurance because they will cover "up to" 100% cost of all added mods as long as you supply them with receipts.
Yeah, but what's that costing you in addition to a progressive policy? Serious question as I think I could fandango myself into an USAA policy if I really wanted.

I'm at 90k without shipping, install labor, or tax. it's also insured for this amount (stated) with a custom commercial policy. had to insure it separately from my other automobile with a different insurer. No other insurer would offer more than 10k in mod's even if I paid the higher premium.

Before you reply, it varies with each state and insurer.
I'm looking to add about $25k (half would be the pop top) and in the same situation myself. Considering business insurance as well as this might move that direction.

What company do you use?

emptyminded42

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hellayella JLU Sport S 6MT, Forester XT
Occupation
Engineer
$31.2k to buy (plus tax and title), plus ~$2k for the soft top, $1k for the rails, and another $300 for interior stuff like phone mount, interior organizers, grab handles, and entry guards leaves me around $34.5k which is still less than the sticker price of $37,200.

Seeing some of your mod lists and costs is insane to me, even for very enthusiastic hobbyists. Makes track work and mods for performance cars look cheap. For $80k I'd rather be in a Land Rover.

Sponsored

QED

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
But if you do all the mods yourself, just think of how much you're saving in labor costs! You can tell the spouse you'd be a fool not to get that lift kit, winch, new bumper, sliders, etc and install it yourself. It would be like throwing money away, I tell you, a waste!

Overland Productions

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.offroadsupplyco.com
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD
Vehicle Showcase

Yeah, but what's that costing you in addition to a progressive policy? Serious question as I think I could fandango myself into an USAA policy if I really wanted.

I'm looking to add about $25k (half would be the pop top) and in the same situation myself. Considering business insurance as well as this might move that direction.

What company do you use?
I spoke with three different agencies. Two out of the three came back with quotes. Both quotes were with progressive. I work in the collision repair industry and i get to see prog claims on a daily basis. i'm not impressed with them (think non-mopar parts for body repairs). However they are the only one's willing to gamble with stated values (not agreed value - different) and off road usage. It's really just for the event of a total loss like theft, fire, or rollover. Any other occurrence is not likely to damage all 35k in mod's at the same time.

SSinGA

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 2018 JLUR, 2016 JKRHR, 2012 JKU Sahara

What company do you use?
USAA was HORRIBLE to deal with on a modified Jeep total.

Alleycat392

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Metal Mulisha Custom
Makes me feel better about my 392 xtreme recon order for under $77k after getting a lemon the first time around…. (Yes my original 392 was ordered in November 2020 and officially declared a lemon due to need for engine replacement). 9 months and counting still have not been delivered a drivable 392. Wonder what the odds in Vegas would be that that I end up having to wait a full year?

Last edited:

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
I don't like hearing that. Haven't had a claim since 2001 or so...so they better be as good to me now as then if needed.

Sponsored

Gladius Nova

First Name
Gladius
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL
Wow...sorry to hear about that. I can't speak on my Jeep, but my 2018 Honda Accord was totaled after owning it for about 1 year. I had about $4k of mods on it. They gave me about $3k over what I owed on it on top of giving me a check covering all my mods after I provided receipts. And they actually asked me if I had any mods because I "assumed" they weren't covered and wasn't gonna mention it. I actually miss that car.

TJJL19

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Unlimited Sport
Here is the break down list, directly copied from Excel. My 2018 is one of the earliest build with an MSRP of just above $51k, paid about 5% under invoice. With all the mods, excluding labor cost, it is just shy of $80k, come in at $79, 310. This is the most expensive "car" I've ever owned in my life, it is right under my nose but my wife still thinks it is a $45k car, lmao.
How did you keep all that from your wife? I have a 2019 JLU with 10,000 miles, put fox shocks on it, Fox stabilizer, my wife found out and the first thing she said was, why are you putting shock on a new vehicle?

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys in Sarge Green
Occupation
truck driver
As annoying as that aspect of marriage was, her nagging did provide a necessary check valve. Now I have to be my own nag, which makes me feel kind of neurotic. Half of me is filling the shopping cart with goodies, and the other half of me is going around emptying carts before I commit financial suicide.

It's easy to spend too much on a Jeep.
Sponsored