Sponsored

iboostgti335

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Sahara
Even better - in an accident insurance may refuse to cover it due to the mods!

Watch your policies fine print.... very common to see language now that limits coverage if "lift kit over XX is installed" and other bullshittery.
A lot of insurance companies let you add coverage for mods up to a specific dollar amount. Its usually only like 5k worth of aftermarket things though.
Sponsored

OP
OP
plex

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
My wife and I were just talking about this yesterday. About a week or so ago I traded in my built JL Sport for a 2021 Rubicon (see my profile; not updated yet).

We were discussing upcoming mods; frame-mounted rock rails with steps were ordered Monday and will be in next week. I was looking at bumpers, winches, lift kits, etc. after placing the order, and asking her opinions. The following conversation ensued. I went into military lingo mode - my comfort zone.

She was adding up the costs in her head. “So...you’re telling me this is gonna run us about 5-6K when it’s done???”

”Ma’am, yes ma’am. As you know ma’am, we battle-staffed this before the trade. As you recall, I published a MODPLAN for this operation. From that, I have refined it to this MODORD,” I said, as I handed it to her. “Metrics have been updated based upon current needs.”

The General gave me her steely-eyed look for a few long moments. Her reply: “Our current base of operations has some logistical priorities which will take precedence.”

I nodded. “Roger that, ma’am,” I said, as I went and grabbed a beer and changed the subject.
Just tell her the frame mounted rails cost only $100, what, it is frame mounted and it is clearly inferior, that is why it costs only $100. If it is body mounted, then it can cost up to $1,000.

Warn winch? All made in China crap now, you can get one for $120.

Lift kit, ppl can afford it on their truck, most likely cost you $200 no more.

Last edited:

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
Just tell her the frame mounted rails cost only $100, what, it is frame mounted and it is clearly inferior, that is why it costs only $100. If it is body mounted, then it can cost up to $1,000.

Warn winch? All made in China crap now, you can get one for $120.

Lift kit, even getto ppl can afford it on their truck, most likely cost you $200 no more.
As a Senior NCO, it’s my job and duty to tell officers what they need to hear, not what they want to hear. With The General, my honesty ALWAYS works out, after enduring the inevitable sharpshooting and hand-wringing. After all, I am also The General’s driver when we are together, and she also owns a 2020 Sahara - WITH a few mods that SHE requested, after swearing she would not do ANY mods! She also enjoys off-roading. She truly gets it. We just have to do “the dance.” 😁

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
Mine is very similar to OP. 2018 (18k miles), MSRP was 56k. Like I'm sure many of you have, I sought out the best prices/used parts and installed everything myself, except the lift and mounting/balancing tires. Although I only paid $500 for both the lift and its install. Overall it took about a year and a half to get everything. Counting the offset of all the OEM parts I sold, I've spent under or just at $10,000 in mods. I was offered $75,000 a few weeks ago for the Jeep.

But I figured all I'd do is go buy a 392 or new Raptor, then mod that, so I'll just be happy with what I have.

Edit: Forgot to add I got the Jeep as part of a dealer buyback of my previous car, so I paid nowhere close to 56K.

Last edited:

Overland Productions

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.offroadsupplyco.com
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD
Vehicle Showcase
I'm at 90k without shipping, install labor, or tax. it's also insured for this amount (stated) with a custom commercial policy. had to insure it separately from my other automobile with a different insurer. No other insurer would offer more than 10k in mod's even if I paid the higher premium.

Before you reply, it varies with each state and insurer.

Sponsored

Jeepney Johnny

First Name
Rico!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I laugh at myself when I think back a couple of years ago. The two-year-ago-me thought I was going to be able to get a brand new, manual transmission Jeep Wrangler Sport S for under $30K, and since it's a daily-driver, I wasn't expecting to mod it much, if at all.

I look at the fancy-schmancy loaded Sahara in my garage now, less than two years into ownership, and think...gawddamn, I'm already in literally twice as much as that initial $30K estimate. I guess I'm not retiring as early as I wanted, after all.

saltlife4shore

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
I though it was an open forum?

How about this.... Im so happy for you because you spent all that money on your jeep and now you feel the need to let all of us know. :like:

Lift kit, even getto ppl can afford it on their truck, most likely cost you $200 no more.
proves my point

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I can build a spreadsheet in my sleep, and had one ready and waiting for the day I took delivery of my 2021 JLU. Everything that did or would touch the vehicle was documented in name and price, even if I used something from my own stash (thus making the cost entry $0), like a USB charging cable.

As I type this post, the bottom line number on the spreadsheet is $2,243.38. My Jeep isn't "built", and maintenance costs -- oils, filters, etc. -- are bundled in that number. Otherwise, it's made up of bits & bobs like a Tuffy console safe, Infinity speakers, seat covers, etc.

In May, Carvana offered me $5K above sticker price for an eight month old vehicle. So, in my example, I'd have made money twice over: once for that portion that exceeded my $2.2K investment, and once for not losing a penny on normal depreciation. I want to keep my Jeep, so I declined the offer.

I always say they can have it at their price they offer, but I’ll take off all the mods and leave you with a bone stock truck. ;)
Precisely what I said to the salesman after he gave me the trade-in offer for a well-accessorized Suzuki. He smiled and agreed.

Bike guys seem to understand much better than car/truck/Jeep owners that modifications tend to add little intrinsic value to a vehicle. Said differently, what the seller likes may not at all link with what the buyer wants. Selling a vehicle privately makes this lesson plain very quickly.

I'll remove, clean and list for sale the accessories that I've removed from a vehicle, prior to trading or selling it. This gives me an average return of 50 cents on the dollar when I sell the mods, which is pretty good. Leaving them in situ would give me a return of 0 to 10 cents. This reality informs how insurance companies make their settlement offers.

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GCM 392 - 2019 SG JLUR
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
This is the most expensive "car" I've ever owned in my life, it is right under my nose but my wife still thinks it is a $45k car, lmao.
We don't usually put it in print form. They call this..... evidence.

Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
With the recent used car frenzy, my dealer called me the other day to see if I want to trade in my 2018 JLUR for $52k. I don't plan to trade but do want to run the total cost of my Jeep (vehicle + mods) just for fun. I built an Excel spreadsheet and tried my best to recollect the cost of each mod mostly by searching invoices in my email box. I did most of my mods by myself, except tires and gears. Still it shocked me with the "finial cost", and no way I am gonna trade in this for $52k.

Here is the break down list, directly copied from Excel. My 2018 is one of the earliest build with an MSRP of just above $51k, paid about 5% under invoice. With all the mods, excluding labor cost, it is just shy of $80k, come in at $79, 310. This is the most expensive "car" I've ever owned in my life, it is right under my nose but my wife still thinks it is a $45k car, lmao.

Wrangler JLUR
Suspension
Dynatrac 2" lift
Teraflex spacer
Synergy front and rear trackbar
Synergy HD tierod and draglink
Synergy trackbar brace
Steer Smarts front sway bar links
Hellwig rear sway bar
Clayton LCA
Falcon Nexus 2.2 steering stablizer
Power
Yukon 4.88 gears
aFe air filter
Rugged Ridge snorkel
Hooker Blackheart exhaust
AEV diff covers
Wheels and tires
AEV Borah JL with protection rings
Gorilla black lug nuts
37 BFG KO2
Exterior
Rugged Ridge Venator bumper with overrider
Rival 4x4 full width alumnium rear bumper
Bestop hardtop sunrider
AntennaX 24-inch antenna
Mopar performance rail
Mopar tailgate reinforcement
Mopar brakelight relocation
EVO roofrack
Tow and recovery
Warn EVO VR10s
Factor 55 Prolink
Hi-lift hood mount and 48-inch extreme jack
Rotopax gas can
Rotopax storage can
Traction boards
Warn Epic shackles
Light
Mopar 7" offroad light
Baja design S1 pod
Diode Dynamic 30" light bar
Interior
Ceramic tint all around
Bartact rollbar and seatback grab handles
CMM grab handle mirrors and mounts
Hothead headliner with sound assassin
Mopar floor mats
Mopar door sill cover
Mopar tub liner
Weathertech cargo liner
Mopar cargo net
XG-cargo Sportsman storage bag
Warn fire extinguisher holder
GPCA tie-downs
Vehicle OCD organizer
Dead pedal
Electronics
Viair 88p air compressor
Midland 75-822 CB radio
firestik 2" antenna with HD spring and QD
67 design driver edition phone mount
Proclip USA phone mount for passenger
Jeepuniq CB radio mount
Battery tender hardwired
Superchips Flashcal programmer
Yeah. Unfortunately consumers don't see this in the value of the Jeep. They see a JLUR worth about 53k. This is what you have spent on the Jeep, but not its market value. Jeeps are keepers.

JasonInDLH

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
I’d Rather Talk Jeep’s!
A lot of insurance companies let you add coverage for mods up to a specific dollar amount. Its usually only like 5k worth of aftermarket things though.
I never thought about adding mods to insurance. Great idea!

EJWF11

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR
Folks, dont forget to add in the actual deal costs; taxes, tags, titling, freight, processing, etc.

that’s money that one tends to forget about when they see the offer number being so much higher than the recorded price of the vehicle.

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
With the recent used car frenzy, my dealer called me the other day to see if I want to trade in my 2018 JLUR for $52k. I don't plan to trade but do want to run the total cost of my Jeep (vehicle + mods) just for fun. I built an Excel spreadsheet and tried my best to recollect the cost of each mod mostly by searching invoices in my email box. I did most of my mods by myself, except tires and gears. Still it shocked me with the "finial cost", and no way I am gonna trade in this for $52k.

Here is the break down list, directly copied from Excel. My 2018 is one of the earliest build with an MSRP of just above $51k, paid about 5% under invoice. With all the mods, excluding labor cost, it is just shy of $80k, come in at $79, 310. This is the most expensive "car" I've ever owned in my life, it is right under my nose but my wife still thinks it is a $45k car, lmao.
I hadn't totaled the cost until now. I'm at just over $27,000 in mods to my 2019 JLUR, and I still want Alcon brakes, 456 gears, and heavier axles -- so I'll be done-done at less than $100,000 all in.

Yikes... I guess THAT's why I accumulated so many air-miles on the Alaska VISA card. :CWL:

Coops4284

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB; 2019 Indian Scout Bobber
Occupation
IT Enterprise Architect
Vehicle Showcase
I did the same thing a few weeks ago as I added aftermarket parts coverage to the rig. I wasn't too shocked as I had been running a total in my head for the last few years. I gave my insurance agent a copy of the receipts and added an additional $20k in aftermarket parts coverage. At least if something happens and Blue Devil is totaled or stolen I will have some cash to start again. I also carry new car replacement since I did get the JLU Moab new.
Sponsored