Sponsored

I hate dealer service departments. Episode #24400032

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
tl;dr When they don't fix your Jeep, they are liars.

Have my Jeep into the service department for the 7th time to get something fixed. This time to fix the rear differential. The service writer says, "Oh, looks like you're coming up to your major service at 30k miles. Do you want to get that taken care of?"

Off guard, I asked, "Major service? What has to be done at 30k miles?"

"At 30k miles, all the fluids need to be changed. Brakes, transfer case, differential, coolant. Pretty much every fluid in the Jeep."

So knowing that was bullshit, I told him I'd think about it. The more I think about it, the madder I get though. Some poor schmuck is going to fall for it. Fucking dealers are trash. Lets just hope they fix my rear diff.
Sponsored

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GCM 392 - 2019 SG JLUR
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
I just looked at my 2018 service and maintenance schedule. At 30K they suggest the following:

-Inspect transfer case fluid.
-Replace engine air cleaner filter.
-Change the manual transmission fluid if using your vehicle for any of the following: trailer towing, snow plowing, heavy loading, taxi, police, delivery service (commercial service), off-road, desert operation or more than 50% of your driving is at sustained high speeds during hot weather, above 90°F (32°C).

Sounds like it's time for you to find a new dealer. :CWL:

OP
OP

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I just looked at my 2018 service and maintenance schedule. At 30K they suggest the following:

-Inspect transfer case fluid.
-Replace engine air cleaner filter.
-Change the manual transmission fluid if using your vehicle for any of the following: trailer towing, snow plowing, heavy loading, taxi, police, delivery service (commercial service), off-road, desert operation or more than 50% of your driving is at sustained high speeds during hot weather, above 90°F (32°C).

Sounds like it's time for you to find a new dealer. :CWL:
You mean another another dealer. This is the third one.

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GCM 392 - 2019 SG JLUR
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
OP
OP

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Yep. Like picking a President.

Could always fix it yourself. :)
I could. If they'd give me the free parts I 100% would. I have a feeling its going to need the entire rear axle replaced, and I'm not footing the bill for that. No way. Not while it's still under warranty.

Sponsored

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon with 8 speed and 3.6L Pentastar without eTorque
tl;dr When they don't fix your Jeep, they are liars.

Have my Jeep into the service department for the 7th time to get something fixed. This time to fix the rear differential. The service writer says, "Oh, looks like you're coming up to your major service at 30k miles. Do you want to get that taken care of?"

Off guard, I asked, "Major service? What has to be done at 30k miles?"

"At 30k miles, all the fluids need to be changed. Brakes, transfer case, differential, coolant. Pretty much every fluid in the Jeep."

So knowing that was bullshit, I told him I'd think about it. The more I think about it, the madder I get though. Some poor schmuck is going to fall for it. Fucking dealers are trash. Lets just hope they fix my rear diff.
If I need someone to change my fluids, I am trusting my regular mom/pop family mechanic that I have been visiting for last 15 years or so. Him and his team are a lot more capable than the so called dealership "mechanics". I am actually going to forgo having the dealership do my complimentary oil change. Went in only once to them for an oil change last July and the guy was telling me I need to change my oil every 5k miles or 6 months (whichever comes first). This is depite me telling him that I plan to keep my JLUR factory stock and plan on rarely off roading in it. How do I politely explain to an "expert" that the Owner's manual states to change your oil every 7500 miles or 12 months (whichever comes first)? I don't want to be a jerk to him, but seriously at least read the effing manual!

MrMischief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Just had my car (Prius) in at Autonation for an oil change and tire rotation at 70k miles. The check in process took 20 minutes because of all the up selling being done. Apparently the recommended process is clean the intake with a fogger, an additive to the existing oil, and the fuel system. then do the oil change plus another oil additive. Kept hinting that is what Toyota recommends for the car, I pointed out it's not in the recommended service in the manual, it actually says to not use these products. The line was that since we're in Colorado those rules don't apply, "they were written for California where the car is primarily sold." I asked when it will be do for a belt, "at 70,000 miles it should be getting close" he told me 75k miles they replace the serpentine belt on the Prius and offered to do it today. The prius hasn't had a belt of any kind (serpentine or timing) since 2010. No thanks just an oil change and tire rotation. I bought the car there, it has only been service there, maybe it's COVID related but they really seemed desperate for every dollar they could squeeze from me. Left there thinking I need to just start doing these oil changes myself.

Next day I had an appointment for the Jeep's oil change at the Autonation just down the street. Absolutely zero run around (so far, I need to pick it up tonight we'll see how much oil I got this time) on additives or other crap. Amazing how the same corporate dealer but different locations can have such dramatically different experiences. Sad thing is I'm much more likely to work on my Jeep than the Prius. I don't own a jack that is low enough to get under the car.

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
for the Jeep's oil change at the Autonation just down the street. Absolutely zero run around (so far, I need to pick it up tonight we'll see how much oil I got this time) on additives or other crap. Amazing how the same corporate dealer but different locations can have such dramatically different experiences. Sad thing is I'm much more likely to work on my Jeep than the Prius. I don't own a jack that is low enough to get under the car.
RIP good luck.

Autonation Jeep in Colorado could give zero cares about you or your Jeep. I assure you of that.

RedundanT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Just had my car (Prius) in at Autonation for an oil change and tire rotation at 70k miles. The check in process took 20 minutes because of all the up selling being done. Apparently the recommended process is clean the intake with a fogger, an additive to the existing oil, and the fuel system. then do the oil change plus another oil additive. Kept hinting that is what Toyota recommends for the car, I pointed out it's not in the recommended service in the manual, it actually says to not use these products. The line was that since we're in Colorado those rules don't apply, "they were written for California where the car is primarily sold." I asked when it will be do for a belt, "at 70,000 miles it should be getting close" he told me 75k miles they replace the serpentine belt on the Prius and offered to do it today. The prius hasn't had a belt of any kind (serpentine or timing) since 2010. No thanks just an oil change and tire rotation. I bought the car there, it has only been service there, maybe it's COVID related but they really seemed desperate for every dollar they could squeeze from me. Left there thinking I need to just start doing these oil changes myself.

Next day I had an appointment for the Jeep's oil change at the Autonation just down the street. Absolutely zero run around (so far, I need to pick it up tonight we'll see how much oil I got this time) on additives or other crap. Amazing how the same corporate dealer but different locations can have such dramatically different experiences. Sad thing is I'm much more likely to work on my Jeep than the Prius. I don't own a jack that is low enough to get under the car.
In a past life I worked as a service writer at two different dealers. The dealership and service manager get kickbacks from the companies that provide the snake oil, Justice Brothers I'm looking at you, so they really push the crap. I had enough after a widow with 2500 miles on her car came in and I got chewed out for not selling her everything under the sun. Told the service manager to GTF out of my face with great anger and fury. For some reason they fired me. LOL

danm

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2-Door Sting Gray
Damn, I just dropped my Jeep at the dealership last night to get my transfer case linkage worked on (kept popping out of 4-hi and 4-lo).

I’m with you, I hate dropping it at the dealer. I’m so nervous that something else will be F—ed up when I get it back.

Sigh.

Sponsored

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
You needs to buy a BMW or Porshe, my neighbor owns those and all the stupid customers buy all dem soivaces', every 30K they wallet flush em, 500$ oil change for a 911, 1200$ 30K soivace' for his BMW. Difference is a BMW customer doesnt question it, a Jeep customer goes and buys a pump, 4 qts of gear oil, 2 qts ATF, 12 Pack of beer and changes the fluids himself ;)

MrGneissGuy

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport
You all are making me nervous about using the Jeep Wave benefits at all. I have been taking my vehicles to the same place for oil changes, tires, and other general work since I was in college. On at least three occasions they could have taken more money from me and wouldn't/didn't. One was a catalytic converter issue on my first Wrangler that was supposed to be under warrantee (clean air act) if I took it to the dealer. I had already dealt with that dealer before on a different vehicle and told this place I would rather pay them to do it than have that dealership do it free.

So the guy called another dealership (a Dodge place) and set me up an appointment with them instead of taking my money simply because I shouldn't have to pay for it. That was over 20 years ago and I still go there. Now the Dodge place he sent me to happens to be where I just got my new Jeep, so there is that.

So do I stop going some place I know I can trust or go to the dealership for the free maintenance? It's a tough call. We'll see how the cracked windshield repair at the dealership goes; that might make the decision a little easier.

dsgrey

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Most manufacturers are the same. Daughter called a few weeks back when she was getting her "free" oil change at the VW dealership. They read off the same list since she was at 30k miles. They get all pissy when you point out the manufacturer's service manual doesn't require those services.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Only time my vehicles ever see the dealer is for warranty/recall work, and even then I have to spend a good amount of time verifying torque values, cleaning up, and confirming nothing was missed or f'd up further.

Anthony120

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR 2-door
Im in the same boat currently :headbang:, the jeeps in for a differential whine while coasting. Only problem is the dealer is saying "your tires are loud, that must be the noise". Now I have to head there in the morning to take a ride with the service manager to SHOW him its not just tire noise. Wish me luck :facepalm:
Sponsored